Singapore Expats

Dover Court

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
PCL

Dover Court

Post by PCL » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 6:50 pm

Hello,

I am moving with family from UK to Singapore in July and we are seriously considering Dover Court school. It would be great to hear from anyone who can share their views of the school i.e. atmosphere, facilities, acadaemic standards/teaching quality etc. Kids are 5 and 7 (come August) so in to British Years 1 and 3 respectively.

Thanks!

autogen

Post by autogen » Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:01 am

PCL

I'm in a similar boat. Wife and kids are still in London, I have already moved to Singapore and actively trying to get schooling sorted. Dover Court is a genuine option for us and I recently visited the school. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The school is smaller than the more bigger names like Tanglin and UWC but this seems to be for the good of the students and teachers. I popped into a couple of classes (K1 and Y4) and the kids seemed happy and settled. I've heard from others that the teaching is excellent though the admin / management may not be as strong.

Either way, I am happy for my kids to leave their current independent selective school in the UK to join Dover Ct (though we're also placing them on the wait list for Tanglin). The campus is not the newest or as modern like, say, Tanglin, but everything you'd expect from a school was there.

Given Dover Court is supposed to a smaller school compared to the other more famous International Schools, I was pleased to see lots of playground space, a proper football pitch with running track, good swimming pool, basket ball courts and a proper hall for assemblies, theatre and other events (I make the latter point because I visited another International School where the equivalent hall was tiny). One small disappointment was the library seemed smaller than I'd expect. But that's not enough to sway me away.

Plenty more I could say -- feel free to PM for anything else.

PCL

Post by PCL » Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks that is really helpful. It would great to PM but apparently I have not used the forum enough for me to do so. Can you PM me your email address?

autogen

Post by autogen » Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:58 pm

PCL

One more post and you'll be PM-enabled ... just post a reply to this and you'll be all set :)

PCL

Post by PCL » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 6:12 am

Posted !

PCL

Post by PCL » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 6:45 pm

Hi there Autogen wondering if you received my PM?

calmamaof3

Dover Court

Post by calmamaof3 » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 2:05 pm

I'm glad to see a more current post about Dover Court!

We are potentially moving to Singapore from California around summertime (June-July time frame). We have a 5 year old, 4 year old (who has mild to moderate autistm), and a 2 year old.

I've researched Dover Court since they offer both regular education and special needs education.

My questions to Autogen and PCL:
-How was the admission process?
-Was it difficult? I heard that Dover Court usually has a wait list.

And if anyone out there has experience with the Special Ed. department at Dover Court, I would love to speak to you more in detail.

Thank you so much in advance! So glad to have found this forum :)

[/quote]

tazz

Post by tazz » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:29 am

Our two kids are in Year 1 and 2 (aged 5 and 6) at Dover Court and we are really happy with it. The kids look forward to school every day and are learning the basics well, which is what we wanted. They have Mandarin twice a week and my son in Year 2 has a host of (optional) before and after school activities. He is musical so it's good that there are a couple of music-orientated clubs before/after school as well as swimming, soccer, reading, cooking, theatre etc. (I don't know why the activities are not extended to Year 1.) Both kids' teachers are from the UK and are really great. There seems to be an active mothers' social group but I haven't been involved yet as I work. We like the smallness of the school and the relatively small class sizes. Although a fair few kids are English, many of the others in each class are from a number of countries.

Getting in was fairly standard. They seem only to want to know that your child has a good command in English (unless you're wanting the ESL class) and whether they could handle the curriculum. We aren't from the UK but the transition for both kids have been smooth.

The admin woman was a bit rude but not enough to turn us off the school.

Wivelsfield

Post by Wivelsfield » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 4:11 pm

Dover is fab. I have two kids there and we've been there over a year and have experienced two other schools out here.

It is kooky and old fashioned, with pretty bad school food and old buildings, but the teachers they pick are very good and caring and there is a real feeling of community and a proper sense and understanding of religion which you do not get at the larger International Schools.

It's good for music and drama and sport and the children get small classes and good academic grades.

I just wish they would sell healthy food and snacks and sort out the chronic parking and pick up arrangements.

coloradomom

dover special ed?

Post by coloradomom » Sun, 24 Apr 2011 8:13 am

I am looking at moving to Singapore with a child with a disability from the USA this summer. She is 14 with down syndrome. I would like to find anyone that has knowledge, information and/or experience with the special education programs at Dover or is there a better fit for kids like her?

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:14 pm

Is the library really that small? The food that bad and the facilities that bad?
I am attracted to Dover Court for a few reasons - my daughter has always studied at a small school in London and the other schools in Spore seem so much bigger.
My daughter is currently in Year 8 in London, an independent school. How easy is it for her to get into the school? Huge waiting list? I am thinking about possibility of her joining about the Easter holidays, so no gaps in her schooling, she will be finishing here in London towards the end of March and she can then pick up school again in Spore a few weeks after.

mrs.r

Dover Court

Post by mrs.r » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 9:55 pm

Hi,

I would also love to hear from anyone with children who attend Dover Court. My daughter attends a nice independent school in London. My husband would go out to Singapore first and we hope to join him at the end of the school year (July).
So my daughter would start year 1 in September.

Any personal experiences and opinions of the school welcomed.

Thanks
Mrs.r

Leaving london

Post by Leaving london » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 5:09 pm

Hello
I'm in the same situation. My 2 kids are at a nice, small (although pushy) independent school in London. I will be very sorry to see the back of it but I'm looking for something similar in Singapore for August 2012. My hubbie might have to start work there in may but I'm not sure starting mid year @ a new school would be fair on the kids.
Also Dover ct is my fav so far & it's central so would mean living near holland (which was my plans). But it seems like all the schools are moving east coast (Uwc), dulwich etc and there's loads there already (chat worth, Canadian, eton etc) does this mean the general concensus is expat families are moving east coast & if so maybe I should be looking at chatsworrh which is east coast. And think of living there too? So confused. Help please!
Btw mrs r - what age is yours?
Leaving london

mrs.r

Post by mrs.r » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 9:00 pm

Hi Leaving London,

Your situations sounds pretty similar to ours. We have 2 daughters the eldest is 5 so will start Year 1 in September and we have a 5 month old also. I hope to go out to Singapore at Easter to have look at the schools and places to live. It's quite hard making such big decisions from so far away.
Mrs.r

Leaving london

Post by Leaving london » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:13 pm

Hello mrs r

Yes my oldest is 5 and youngest is 3 so I want them at school together. My hubbies going there for work anyway in mid feb do I'm booking him in with loads of school visits and some condo visits too. So I will give you his feedback. Be great to hear what you think in Easter. I have already booked 2 weeks hols in the states over Easter so I won't get to go out there beforehand.

I will try and pm you (never done this before) would love to know all the details

Leaving London