Singapore Expats

ADEX 2011

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 1:33 pm

InTheBlue wrote:
So the 64$ question is - Do you eat Fish ?? :D

Coat, Hat, Umbrella .. :D

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 3:21 pm

Good question. I don't but because I don't like it rather than believing people shouldn't. Fish is the main source of protein for many people so can't fight that one but sharks and turtles are not being decimated by people that need to eat to survive but as a luxury. In fact the people that need them as food are losing their protein source to people that already have plenty of other options.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 4:14 pm

ITB the following link includes discussion of eating shark fin. There is some cross-over with the comments in your last post. It might give you some further insights into the local mindset.

The topic changes from weddings to shark's fin soup about half way down the page 2 and continues on page 3.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... sc-30.html

p.s. Can't make ADEX this year as I'm out-of-country. Another time. Good luck.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks JR8. Appreciate the heads up.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:07 pm

InTheBlue wrote:SMS, I know you are a diver and did not make any assumptions there. However as a diver, I would have expected (maybe erroneously) that, like me you would not want to see any negative posts about the sea life that brings us enjoyment and is being decimated through ignorance and greed.
I am extremely passionate about this and felt pretty upset that the post from lavender was such a pointless and negative post especially when I was trying to promote support of turtles. It also came across as a search engine spammer post in it's brevity and lack of relevance

However I am willing to concede that my response was not as well thought out as it should have been and even OTT as you put it (unless you were referencing some other post) so I apologize to lavender and any others in the forum that took offense to my response.

To change attitudes about what is going on in the sea needs constant pressure and passion or old fashioned ideas will prevail. Comments like'some turtles carry salmonella' are just counter productive and pointless.
Like anything, we often have to do things that don't always set well with other and/or ourselves. I am a moderator on this forum, and not a diver on this forum, so therefore, unless someone flagrantly breaks the rules with foul language, inciting racism, spamming, or other type of untoward behaviour, I can't just arbitrarily whack them because another poster doesn't like the content of their post. I have to wear different hats at different times. And without any proof, they cannot be considered a spammer even though they may well be one. Most local don't post much more than a single sentence either, but they aren't spammers. I don't eat shark's fin either for the same reason, but just because I don't doesn't mean that other can't and voice their opinions as well. Kind of like a discussion on religion isn't it. :-|

As a moderator, I may not like a posters message, but as long as no rules are broken, I'll defend that persons right to make the comment, regardless of my personal bias or feelings.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:16 pm

I completely understand both sides of the debate (for once! :)), the passion of the diver vs. the facilitating role of the moderator.

Anyway, nice that it's cool and we're all friends again :cool: 8-) :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:26 pm

But it's a beech when you are both! ](*,)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:42 pm

Of course, like I said I see both sides (and see that you are on both sides too).

Ooh schizo! :P

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 7:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But it's a beech when you are both! ](*,)
I feel for you and will try to be more circumspect about rubbish posts in the future. :-#

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 5:38 pm

ADEX turning out to be better than last year and all in all pretty impressive with some excellent speakers covering some very worthwhile subjects.

Sharks, turtles and mantas are all being focussed on to raise awareness of their endangered status.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:14 pm

InTheBlue wrote:ADEX turning out to be better than last year and all in all pretty impressive with some excellent speakers covering some very worthwhile subjects.

Sharks, turtles and mantas are all being focussed on to raise awareness of their endangered status.
Sacre Bleu - you didn't say there is a cover charge :( :(
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:27 pm

InTheBlue, you ought to enjoy these taken of me back in '83 off the coast of Sonkla in the Gulf of Thailand diving from the ill-fated drillship Seacrest...... I work ed on her periodically from 83 with the last hitch being pulled up to 3 weeks prior to Typhoon Gay capsizing her and killing 90+ people. These photos were from better times there though. Lost 4 of my mates on board in the typhoon.

Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:InTheBlue, you ought to enjoy these taken of me back in '83 off the coast of Sonkla in the Gulf of Thailand diving from the ill-fated drillship Seacrest...... I work ed on her periodically from 83 with the last hitch being pulled up to 3 weeks prior to Typhoon Gay capsizing her and killing 90+ people. These photos were from better times there though. Lost 4 of my mates on board in the typhoon.
SMS - I see the frogs .. Again :( :(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:22 pm

Better? Switched 'em to Photobucket.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:11 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Better? Switched 'em to Photobucket.
Yep, and don't like those frogs anyway :D (No offence to the Phrogs :D :D )

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”