Singapore Expats

Philipines embassy employment contract - need agency or not?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 7:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ksl wrote: •Original copy of S$7,000.00 performance bond
•2 original duly signed Standard Employment Contract
•2 copies of worker’s passport
•2 copies of worker’s work permit
•1 copy of medical insurance
•1 copy of employer’s IC
•2 copies of Undertaking of an Employer
To push my luck, how will the maid get a WP, without the bond ?? :D And don't the WP mean there was a passport in the first place .. ???

And, all the other sundry matters like the undertaking etc etc ?? That's why the embassy insists you have an agent :D :D So there you go ..

Coat, Hat, Umbrella ..

PS: I went to another embassy to apply for visa for a colleague of mine: I was told I need to endorse the form, as the applicant was not there .. so I asked what I was supposed to do. The answer: counter sign it. and then the person said 'pay 10$ for verification'

And in front of me, she asked me to sign on another form, to compare the signature, and boy, she did compare the signatures (the first one I signed vs the next one - both done in front of her) and then she smiled and said "OK SIR, ACCEPTED" and she didn't even ask for any form of identification if I was the said person, as long as I signed and then signed the verification ..

Sort of like the times you forgot to sign on the back of your credit card, and the shop asks you to sign it then and there .. what gives if it was somebody else's card ??
Hello your missing the point, she's already been employed and between contract renewal she has a work permit.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 7:19 pm

ksl wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
ksl wrote: •Original copy of S$7,000.00 performance bond
•2 original duly signed Standard Employment Contract
•2 copies of worker’s passport
•2 copies of worker’s work permit
•1 copy of medical insurance
•1 copy of employer’s IC
•2 copies of Undertaking of an Employer
Hello your missing the point, she's already been employed and between contract renewal she has a work permit.
I was referring to the amount of paperwork, which is needed .. :???: :???: :???:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 7:49 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ksl wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
I was referring to the amount of paperwork, which is needed .. :???: :???: :???:
Oh I see, yes it's tedious :roll:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 7:51 pm

ksl wrote:Oh yes I forgot it's Singapore so it's lacking that an embassy cannot accomadate a person in an emergency?
Not done blaming Singapore, for what an embassy does :???: :???: :???:

Anyway, to give some credit to the Phil Embassy, to accomodate and assist maids, in their needs, the Embassy closes on Friday and Saturday, and works on Sundays. .

No other embassy I know works on Sundays... so - the Phil embassy deserves some kudos :D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 7:57 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ksl wrote:Oh yes I forgot it's Singapore so it's lacking that an embassy cannot accomadate a person in an emergency?
Not done blaming Singapore, for what an embassy does :???: :???: :???:

Anyway, to give some credit to the Phil Embassy, to accomodate and assist maids, in their needs, the Embassy closes on Friday and Saturday, and works on Sundays. .

No other embassy I know works on Sundays... so - the Phil embassy deserves some kudos :D
Do they pay their workers double time? :) Or Time and a half :roll: They are all as bad as each other when it comes to procedures and protcols :lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 8:52 pm

ksl wrote:Do they pay their workers double time? :) Or Time and a half :roll: They are all as bad as each other when it comes to procedures and protcols :lol:
The swapped their Monday to Friday work to Sunday to Thursday work, a-la Middle East, but hey, they have been the same, with the same smiling face, when enforcing the protocols and paperwork :D :D

Nah, it's not the staff's fault that such procedures are in place, and whenever I had to step into the place, I never felt un-welcome .. gotta give that to the staff .. and I mean it ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 8:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ksl wrote:Do they pay their workers double time? :) Or Time and a half :roll: They are all as bad as each other when it comes to procedures and protcols :lol:
The swapped their Monday to Friday work to Sunday to Thursday work, a-la Middle East, but hey, they have been the same, with the same smiling face, when enforcing the protocols and paperwork :D :D

Nah, it's not the staff's fault that such procedures are in place, and whenever I had to step into the place, I never felt un-welcome .. gotta give that to the staff .. and I mean it ..
Are you white by any chance?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 8:59 pm

ksl wrote:Hello your missing the point, she's already been employed and between contract renewal she has a work permit.
Actually, you are missing/have missed the whole point. The PBI doesn't care whether she's got a work permit or not. If they "want" to bounce her, they will and there is SFA anybody can do about it. Nobody is saying that they will, but there's too many times that it has happened. She's not being prevented from going to the Philippines so once she steps foot on Philippines soil, she is no longer under Singapore's jurisdiction, holding a work permit or not, full stop. She is then at the mercy of the Philippines government.

It's just like driving on the North South Highway if you are in a Singapore registered car. Too many cases to count of being pulled over (even without speeding - but being accused of it) and the officer telling you 250 RM will see the problem clear and you can go on your merry way. What are you gonna do? Argue with him? Same thing in the Philippines. What's Singapore going to do? Send in the commando's to rescue a Filipino from the Philippines government? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 9:04 pm

nakatago wrote:Are you white by any chance?
? would that matter ?? :-? :-? :-? :-?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 9:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:Hello your missing the point, she's already been employed and between contract renewal she has a work permit.
Actually, you are missing the whole point. The PBI doesn't care whether she's got a work permit or not. If they want to bounce her, they will and there is SFA anybody can do about it. She's not being prevented from going to the Philippines so once she steps foot on Philippines soil, she is no longer under Singapore's jurisdiction, holding a work permit or not, full stop. She is then at the mercy of the Philippines government.

It's just like driving on the North South Highway if you are in a Singapore registered car. Too many cases to count of being pulled over (even without speeding - but being accused of it) and the officer telling you 250 RM will see the problem clear and you can go on your] merry way. What are you gonna do? Argue with him? Same thing in the Philippines. What's Singapore going to do? Send in the commando's to rescue a Filipino from the Philippines government? :roll:
@ksl, like I said. You don't argue with someone who doesn't use logic. Don't bring a knife into a magic spells fight.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 9:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: It's just like driving on the North South Highway if you are in a Singapore registered car. Too many cases to count of being pulled over (even without speeding - but being accused of it) and the officer telling you 250 RM will see the problem clear and you can go on your merry way. What are you gonna do? Argue with him? Same thing in the Philippines. What's Singapore going to do? Send in the commando's to rescue a Filipino from the Philippines government? :roll:
The difference is, apparently in Phil, the PBI is not out to scam people or for bribe - they have seemingly set themselves a target to catch x number of 'trafficked' people and that's their only objective - so those who leave on their own, are considered possible victims :( :(

You can't argue or try to reason with people who are doing things with conviction .. and any amount of reasoning will not get to their head .. :) :) regardless or race or country ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 9:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: It's just like driving on the North South Highway if you are in a Singapore registered car. Too many cases to count of being pulled over (even without speeding - but being accused of it) and the officer telling you 250 RM will see the problem clear and you can go on your merry way. What are you gonna do? Argue with him? Same thing in the Philippines. What's Singapore going to do? Send in the commando's to rescue a Filipino from the Philippines government? :roll:
The difference is, apparently in Phil, the PBI is not out to scam people or for bribe - they have seemingly set themselves a target to catch x number of 'trafficked' people and that's their only objective - so those who leave on their own, are considered possible victims :( :(

You can't argue or try to reason with people who are doing things with conviction .. and any amount of reasoning will not get to their head .. :) :) regardless or race or country ..
Ah yes, of course. One major distinction there. It's the customs officers who ask for bribes, immigration play god.

*For potential haters out there, I'm Filipino so I have every right to diss my government, capisce?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:55 pm

Actually, you are missing/have missed the whole point. The PBI doesn't care whether she's got a work permit or not. If they "want" to bounce her, they will and there is SFA anybody can do about it. Nobody is saying that they will, but there's too many times that it has happened. She's not being prevented from going to the Philippines so once she steps foot on Philippines soil, she is no longer under Singapore's jurisdiction, holding a work permit or not, full stop. She is then at the mercy of the Philippines government. :roll:
I find it quite remarkable that that not one of you on this thread have helped the OP get her maid out of Singapore!
Nakatago:@ksl, like I said. You don't argue with someone who doesn't use logic.
Don't bring a knife into a magic spells fight.
What happens in the Philippines hardly matters at this stage, the emergency is in the Philippines right! What barriers the Philippines government have implemented against maids is hardly the fault of the employer.

Or lets put it another way, by the time SMS and others figure it out, the emergency is over :lol: :P :wink: Do you really believe an experienced maid isn't aware of the risks, :lol:

Anyway lets hope that she is already in the Philippines while you all run around with excuses why it's not safe for her to return :lol: I'm sure you have helped her make her own mind up, that's for sure.

And Nakatago lets be truthful, if you had an emergency back in the Philippines how are you going to deal with it immediately not next week? Advise the woman instead of trying to rumble what i say. :wink: Though it does appear the OP is trying to circumvent the agency to do the contract with the embassy, it doesn't stop the maid returning in an emergency.

If the OP wants to employ her with the embassy contract, there is still no reason why it cannot be done, after she has left to attend the emergency if it means following the protocol so what! Isn't the priority the emergency here.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sat, 16 Apr 2011 8:25 am

ksl wrote:
Actually, you are missing/have missed the whole point. The PBI doesn't care whether she's got a work permit or not. If they "want" to bounce her, they will and there is SFA anybody can do about it. Nobody is saying that they will, but there's too many times that it has happened. She's not being prevented from going to the Philippines so once she steps foot on Philippines soil, she is no longer under Singapore's jurisdiction, holding a work permit or not, full stop. She is then at the mercy of the Philippines government. :roll:
I find it quite remarkable that that not one of you on this thread have helped the OP get her maid out of Singapore!
Nakatago:@ksl, like I said. You don't argue with someone who doesn't use logic.
Don't bring a knife into a magic spells fight.
What happens in the Philippines hardly matters at this stage, the emergency is in the Philippines right! What barriers the Philippines government have implemented against maids is hardly the fault of the employer.

Or lets put it another way, by the time SMS and others figure it out, the emergency is over :lol: :P :wink: Do you really believe an experienced maid isn't aware of the risks, :lol:

Anyway lets hope that she is already in the Philippines while you all run around with excuses why it's not safe for her to return :lol: I'm sure you have helped her make her own mind up, that's for sure.

And Nakatago lets be truthful, if you had an emergency back in the Philippines how are you going to deal with it immediately not next week? Advise the woman instead of trying to rumble what i say. :wink: Though it does appear the OP is trying to circumvent the agency to do the contract with the embassy, it doesn't stop the maid returning in an emergency.

If the OP wants to employ her with the embassy contract, there is still no reason why it cannot be done, after she has left to attend the emergency if it means following the protocol so what! Isn't the priority the emergency here.
An experienced maid who has any sort of peer group who has gone home would know/or been informed of the documents she needs from her own embassy in order to go home. The information you keep citing about "2 original duly signed Standard Employment Contract" - is the contract you PAY for from the embassy. Not just a drawn up contract between you and your helper.

We never used an agent to get home leave forms - but the cost was still what was stated on my original link - which IMHO answers the OPs original question about whether she needed an agent.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Apr 2011 8:57 am

I'm not quite sure what's ailing you, ksl, but the Maid doesn't need any help getting home in an emergency. All she needs is a ticket and permission from her ma'am or sir to go. There's not a problem in that.

The problem "could" be on her return. And that, my friend, is what we are pointing out. All the documentation in the world doesn't matter. Even if you have all the documents you keep rolling out on this board, they CAN, if they want, prevent her from returning. We didn't say, AT ANY POINT, in this discussion that that is what is going to happen. But it CAN, IF the PBI officer decides they want to. It's their call. Why is that so hard to understand. Nobody said it going to happen, but we are ALL saying it can happen.

Frankly, all immigration officers are the same around the world, they are demi-gods who have more power than any other governmental organization in the government, with only one exception, the Revenue department. I shared an office in International Plaza with the head of US Immigration back in 88-91. I know how much power they wield.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers