Singapore Expats

Trump

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 8:36 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:But he could get a copy and publish it, and that would be the end of the issue. However he chooses not to. All a bit odd.
Why should he? It is up to the accuser to prove the case. But the birthers don't have any case. So they want Obama to 'prove' he is American.

Please prove you graduated from high school, JR8. I am very sure you did not. If you would just do that, it would be the end of the issue. Why do you not choose to prove that you graduated from high school?
In the same vein: Why haven’t we had an official response to the rumor that Glenn Beck raped and murdered a girl in 1990?.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 5:24 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:But he could get a copy and publish it, and that would be the end of the issue. However he chooses not to. All a bit odd.
Why should he? It is up to the accuser to prove the case. But the birthers don't have any case. So they want Obama to 'prove' he is American.

Please prove you graduated from high school, JR8. I am very sure you did not. If you would just do that, it would be the end of the issue. Why do you not choose to prove that you graduated from high school?
:) I think there is a difference with a person that has voluntarily put themselves in a public position that is going to leave him wide open to scrutiny.

I think there is a parallel with politicians who publish their tax returns. They are under no obligation to do so, however it is done for transparency and to head of suspicion of conflict of interest etc.

The BO matter takes this to the other end of the spectrum where he seems to be paying lawyers to block release of pretty pedestrian information into the public domain.

The issue is probably slightly harder to understand if you are from the UK, where birth certificates are openly available public records.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 5:47 pm

JR8 wrote:The BO matter takes this to the other end of the spectrum where he seems to be paying lawyers to block release of pretty pedestrian information into the public domain.
I don't think this is correct.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008 ... e_usa.html

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/bi ... ficate.asp

http://www.fightthesmears.com/articles/ ... icate.html

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... e-part-ii/

So, when are you going to prove up you graduated from high school? After all, this is a public forum.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 7:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:The BO matter takes this to the other end of the spectrum where he seems to be paying lawyers to block release of pretty pedestrian information into the public domain.
SE
I don't think this is correct.

JR8
I read that the case went back through court in Hawaii (again) in the last few weeks. Someone must be paying for BO’s lawyers.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008 ... e_usa.html

JR8
One would hope that as part of the Annenberg Foundation that this would be a reputable organisation.
Though sentences like:-
- ‘It's certainly not the slam dunk some readers have made it out to be.’
- ‘We suggest that those who choose to go down that path should first equip themselves with a high-quality tinfoil hat.
... don’t contribute massively to their supposed ‘above the fray’ credibility!
Another interesting thing that I notice in the article is that all the references are made to a copy of the short-form Certificate of Live Birth, that was requested by the BO campaign back in 2007. It seems that this would have been used by the BO Campaign to confirm his place of birth with the State Department. The article also describes that Hawaii does not let you order a copy of the long-form Birth Certificate. Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Either BO doesn’t have the original long-form document, or he is unwilling for it to be made public.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/bi ... ficate.asp
JR8
I believe this is the link that someone else posted and I commented on.

http://www.fightthesmears.com/articles/ ... icate.html
JR8
You chose this one as an example of pro-BO partisanship? I mean the page even has a link to donate to the BO-2012 campaign!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... e-part-ii/
JR8
Again all references seem to be to the recent copy of the short-form document, as opposed to the original.

SE
So, when are you going to prove up you graduated from high school? After all, this is a public forum.

JR8
Are you suggesting that if I hadn’t graduated high school I would be ineligible to post on this forum?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:02 pm

I would believe it highly unlikely that Obama father had citizenship by the time his son was born on the 4th of August 1961 as his father only arrived in the USA in june 1959. Obama senior was born in 1936 making him 23 yrs old, So how long does it take to get citizenship in the USA for a 23 year old, is it likely that they had citizenship by 1961?

http://www.thetrumpet.com/?q=7499.7.0.0
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:10 pm

ksl wrote:I would believe it highly unlikely that Obama father had citizenship by the time his son was born on the 4th of August 1961 as his father only arrived in the USA in 1959. So how long does it take to get citizenship in the USA, is it likely that they had citizenship by 1961?

jus soli

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:12 pm

ksl wrote:I would believe it highly unlikely that Obama father had citizenship by the time his son was born on the 4th of August 1961 as his father only arrived in the USA in 1959. So how long does it take to get citizenship in the USA, is it likely that they had citizenship by 1961?

It's irrelevant since Obama was born in Hawaii, birth notice posted in local papers, birth certificate certified by Hawaiian health department head.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

It's irrelevant since Obama was born in Hawaii, birth notice posted in local papers, birth certificate certified by Hawaiian health department head.
Then he can obviously claim his birthright on American soil, though i can imagine that the opposition will be digging deep within the legal framework to discredit him.

My own personal opinion is that he appears to be fair in his approach at a very difficult time. It's only natural to be influenced by fathers to a certain degree, whats his motives for going into politics is anyone's guess, but I see him as a family kind of guy, that deserves the chance. It is only natural that his colour, and race will stand in the spotlight for questioning which side is he on and I'm pretty sure he expected that, so good luck to him. He's probably the first Leo president to rule in the states, will be interesting to see how he balances the conflicts, though less aggressive is understandable. Though what I find odd is that in the history of the USA and the poweful connections in politics within families that, he managed to get to the top so quickly. He made a wise move backing off Libya, that's probably because he knows who is behind it all.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 5:57 am

I've read if not that article similar ones. It is interesting to ponder what drives the man. In fact what drives Gordon Brown, the Millibands etc who all seem to be 'living out daddies dream'.

No wonder the 'permanently on tour of Europe' Obama's are not invited to The Wedding. They're really pretty odious people it seems.

[p.s. Wasn't there some stuff about their house/plot in Chicago being funded by a Lebanese gangster or something? Nice!]

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 6:02 am

ksl wrote:Then he can obviously claim his birthright on American soil, though i can imagine that the opposition will be digging deep within the legal framework to discredit him.
Ya, because that's a great use of time :roll: Let's not fix health care or education, but let's pump time and effort into this dead end. Honestly, Americans have gotten so accusatory, no one wants to roll up their sleeves anymore and do the work, they just want the quick fix. The stomach-stapling, the little blue pill, the house with $0. down payment. Instead of searching for ways to discredit the President we do have, they should get off their collectively huge asses and do something productive that doesn't involve a meth lab, a trip to Walmart or reality TV.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 6:51 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
ksl wrote:Then he can obviously claim his birthright on American soil, though i can imagine that the opposition will be digging deep within the legal framework to discredit him.
Ya, because that's a great use of time :roll: Let's not fix health care or education, but let's pump time and effort into this dead end. Honestly, Americans have gotten so accusatory, no one wants to roll up their sleeves anymore and do the work, they just want the quick fix. The stomach-stapling, the little blue pill, the house with $0. down payment. Instead of searching for ways to discredit the President we do have, they should get off their collectively huge asses and do something productive that doesn't involve a meth lab, a trip to Walmart or reality TV.
+1

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 7:07 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
I wonder what the percentages are of red & blues that fit into your mold would be......

I reckon 50:50, don't you?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 8:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:of red & blues
Well, the US government just narrowly avoided a shutdown and all the mainstream press could talk about was who ended up looking good, the Democrats, the Republicans or Obama.

And that's only because Charlie Sheen is old news already.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 1:45 pm

JR8 wrote:I've read if not that article similar ones. It is interesting to ponder what drives the man. In fact what drives Gordon Brown, the Millibands etc who all seem to be 'living out daddies dream'.

No wonder the 'permanently on tour of Europe' Obama's are not invited to The Wedding. They're really pretty odious people it seems.

[p.s. Wasn't there some stuff about their house/plot in Chicago being funded by a Lebanese gangster or something? Nice!]
Gordon Brown is from Scottish roots, the more damage he can cause England the better
:lol: Not joking either, the love of the English lies a very long way down on the list, priorites come first and that would be his roots. maybe the same with Obama :roll: Gansters yup, they are all gansters when it come down to their tax returns and expenses :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 1:48 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Sounds very much like the British to me :roll: