Singapore Expats

Soundproofing against construction

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
kellbell3366

Soundproofing against construction

Post by kellbell3366 » Mon, 10 May 2010 6:04 pm

Hi All,
I've just moved apartments and have found myself across the road from a construction site. I think I am in some sort of sound tunnel because basic things like sweeping from across the road reverberates through my room like a mac truck.
The construction is within the designated hours but I would love to be to sleep in past 7:30am on my day off.
Any ideas on how to sound proof my room- The sound is coming through the windows.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 10 May 2010 7:02 pm

if it is thru the windows, then you need thick curtains to absorb the sound wave. you might also want to look into getting accoustic foam (look like egg trays) or accoustic fabric.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 10 May 2010 8:50 pm

We have the same problem a 50 storey tower going up 50ft from our bedroom. Having double glazing installed. If its a rental and you dont mind the dark , just build a stud wall in front of the window.

iRoar

Post by iRoar » Mon, 10 May 2010 8:59 pm

You can try buying a big piece of plywood (to cover the outside windows), eat a bunch of eggs to get the egg cartons, staple the cartons on the plywood, then put the plywood on the wall, with the egg cartons between the wood and your windows.

If that doesn't work, you can always buy Green Glue, it's expensive but it definitely works
http://www.greengluecompany.com/

Hope that helps, and goodluck!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 May 2010 9:20 pm

Hello... EAR PLUGS... far cheaper and easier than any suggestion previously offered.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 10 May 2010 9:36 pm

ha ha reminds me of that NASA story:

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered the ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $1.2 million to develop a specially-designed zero-gravity pen called the Fisher Space Pen. The nitrogen-pressurized space pen worked "underwater, upside down as well being able to write on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300C"

The Russians used a pencil.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 11 May 2010 10:01 am

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Post by OogieBoogie » Tue, 11 May 2010 11:30 am

earplug are ok when you're alone
Earplug are not a good solution when you live with someone you want to interact with, want to watch the TV,...
Anyway you could try to reach nea.gov.sg to get some information, and maybe rent/buy a decibel meter to prove the construction site exceed the accepted noise level

Russians used pencils and were very sorry when they broke the tip of their cheap pencil, and tried to sharpen it during an EVA, and even more sorry when the pencil sharpener container opened at 0G inside the living quarter :D

How can you move in a new appartement and THEN realized you have a construction site accros the road?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 May 2010 11:37 am

QRM wrote:ha ha reminds me of that NASA story:

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered the ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $1.2 million to develop a specially-designed zero-gravity pen called the Fisher Space Pen. The nitrogen-pressurized space pen worked "underwater, upside down as well being able to write on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300C"

The Russians used a pencil.
yeah, works as a good "parable" but just a clarification: http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Lloyds Tan

Post by Lloyds Tan » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 5:11 pm

iRoar wrote:You can try buying a big piece of plywood (to cover the outside windows), eat a bunch of eggs to get the egg cartons, staple the cartons on the plywood, then put the plywood on the wall, with the egg cartons between the wood and your windows.

If that doesn't work, you can always buy Green Glue, it's expensive but it definitely works
http://www.greengluecompany.com/

Hope that helps, and goodluck!
Totally agree with you, the soundproofing effect of Green Glue is really great. It has superior damping effect and is good at eliminating low frequency noise which is often hard to get rid of

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 5:40 pm

OogieBoogie wrote:
How can you move in a new appartement and THEN realized you have a construction site accros the road?
Was thinking the same thing myself :-k

Angel M

hi

Post by Angel M » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 2:42 pm

If you have noise coming from the windows, you should ether look at doing a treatment to the windows like Maxglass or Noiseblock Glass. Other than that a window behind the window or i think noiseblock also do a proper soundproof window.
If i rememebr right nytc is the company selling the noiseblock product range in singapore