Singapore Expats

Need advice on latest EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jin84

Need advice on latest EP

Post by jin84 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 8:42 am

I've recently renewed my Q1 EP before accepting a new employment offer. My new employer is currently in the process of applying for my EP.

I would like to know what are the chances of MOM not approving my EP application as I've heard that recently getting EPs approved is somewhat more difficult than before.

Qualificiation: 2nd class honours degree from a UK university
Experience: 2 years
Position in new company: Accountant
Salary: 3.5k
Nationality: Malaysian (Chinese)

Am I being overly anxious?

Please advise.

Thank you! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 8:48 am

As you are Chinese, you are probably being overly anxious. If you were a minority, all bets would be off.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jin84

Post by jin84 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 9:51 am

Thanks, SMS!

I guess I should just sit back and wait for the good news? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 11:04 am

I'm basing my answer on your qualifications/background. As you are joining a new company, do they already have a track record of the hiring of foreigners? If so, I wouldn't worry. However, if it's a new startup with no history, and few employees, you will just have to sit tight and keep your fingers crossed. They (the new company) will still need to justify their reasons for hiring a foreigner. Other than that I foresee no real problems.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jin84

Post by jin84 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 11:45 am

Last I checked, they do have a track record of hiring foreigners - the office is their global HQ (not a new startup) with two registered names, one of which is without EPOL access.

Thus, they are currently applying for a new EPOL access, since my HC falls under that other registered name, before they can actually apply for my EP.

Does the need to apply for a new EPOL make them similar to a new start up? As far as I know, there are no quotas for EP right?

jin84

Post by jin84 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 11:56 am

I would like to add that since they do not have EPOL access I reckon that they don't have foreigners hired under the other registered company name.

Will this be unfavourable to any extent?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:17 pm

I guess it will depend on the way the companies are linked. If they already have a number of locals working in this "other" company, then you are probably okay. You're just going to have to wait it out & see. However, if you are just leaving the parent company to the other company (e.g., transfer) you shouldn't really have a problem.

jin84

Post by jin84 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks again, SMS.. for your patience and wisdom!

I'm afraid I confused you with my incompetent story telling. Haha...

Allow me to illustrate:

The new employer has two registered names A and B. A has foreigners hired while B (global office) has none I reckon. The structure in which how both names are linked is unknown to me.

The employer decides to put me into B, naturally requiring to apply for my EP under B, which they do not have the EPOL ready. So assuming that they do not have foreigners hired under B, will it make the application process more difficult?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:45 pm

Do they have a reasonably sized headcount in the "B" company? If so, you probably won't have a problem. (More than 2 or 3 locals).

jin84

Post by jin84 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 1:14 pm

My guess is that they definitely have more than 3 as supposedly the whole global finance team is in B.

Anyways, thank you so much for enlightening me, SMS!

I guess I will just have to wait out for a week or two more for the good news. *fingers crossed*

Have a good day!

jin84

Post by jin84 » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 3:13 pm

hi sms, just got my approval today. thanks for the support! :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 3:43 pm

Congratulations. Good things come to those who wait patiently. (most of the time!) :wink: