Singapore Expats

Dual Citizenship, Ns ..etc..

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
moroemon

Dual Citizenship, Ns ..etc..

Post by moroemon » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 2:08 pm

Originally He wrote:Hi I'd like to ask...

I am a dual citizen (Singaporean by registration) currently serving NS now. I ORD late next year.

I received the letter stating that I have to take the oath of renunciation,allegiance and loyalty before my 22nd birthday in order to maintain my status as a Singapore citizen.

I called up ICA who directed me to speak to an officer(stupid me for not getting his name).

I was told that if I decide to renounce my citizenship, I will be able to discontinue my NS and have to leave the country within 24 hours. But I will not be considered as a deserter and be allowed to come back to Singapore for social visits.

In addition, I was told that I will only be able to renounce my citizenship right on the day before my birthday( early next year).

I have every intention of renouncing my citizenship as I have lived overseas for most of my life, and only came back for national service. And to be honest( no offense) I find it difficult to adapt to Singapore and can never consider this country my home.

My question is that will I be able to "ORD" on the day when I renounce my citizenship or will the gov. screw me over and withhold the registration of declaration of renunciation of Singapore Citizenship? I have heard of some cases where it had happened, and it was on this website. http://www.guidemesingapore.com/sing...itizenship.htm

Should I go down to ICA to clarify things?
Is there something I can do to make sure that the gov will not withhold my registration of declaration of renunciation for sure?

I've emailed ICA just to reconfirm and they told me that my matter had been forwarded to the relevant officer who will return to me in due course, more than two weeks ago.

Could anyone please help me...I seriously cannot wait to leave this country and go back home. Thank you very much.
Thank you for your help.

Dear Mod , please delete this thread

Thankssss!!!!

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Once you have posted, it's part of public record and if we delete it, then good information for research is gone. That's not what we do here if at all possible. So, I'm afraid, it stays as does your original post as well because, in order to prevent you from doing any more damage to this board, I've locked your account.

Last edited by moroemon on Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Dual Citizenship, Ns ..etc..

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 3:44 pm

moroemon wrote:Hi I'd like to ask...

I am a dual citizen (Singaporean by registration) currently serving NS now. I ORD late next year.

I received the letter stating that I have to take the oath of renunciation,allegiance and loyalty before my 22nd birthday in order to maintain my status as a Singapore citizen.

I called up ICA who directed me to speak to an officer(stupid me for not getting his name).

I was told that if I decide to renounce my citizenship, I will be able to discontinue my NS and have to leave the country within 24 hours. But I will not be considered as a deserter and be allowed to come back to Singapore for social visits.

In addition, I was told that I will only be able to renounce my citizenship right on the day before my birthday( early next year).

I have every intention of renouncing my citizenship as I have lived overseas for most of my life, and only came back for national service. And to be honest( no offense) I find it difficult to adapt to Singapore and can never consider this country my home.

My question is that will I be able to "ORD" on the day when I renounce my citizenship or will the gov. screw me over and withhold the registration of declaration of renunciation of Singapore Citizenship? I have heard of some cases where it had happened, and it was on this website. http://www.guidemesingapore.com/sing...itizenship.htm

Should I go down to ICA to clarify things?
Is there something I can do to make sure that the gov will not withhold my registration of declaration of renunciation for sure?

I've emailed ICA just to reconfirm and they told me that my matter had been forwarded to the relevant officer who will return to me in due course, more than two weeks ago.

Could anyone please help me...I seriously cannot wait to leave this country and go back home. Thank you very much.
First of all you rlink to guide me singapore cannot be linked. Repaste and I will read b4 I could advise.
Yes, you can renounce now BUT you will definitely not able to work in SG . Yes you can come for social visit BUT you are closing ONE BIG DOOR which is DOOR of EMPLOYMENT in Singapore if opportunity arises in the future. Hang on for awhile as it may be to your advantage,
Re paste the link and I will continue my advise to you
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:14 pm

MS,

I think this is the page he was trying to link to:

http://www.guidemesingapore.com/singapo ... enship.htm
Eligibility Criteria

Under Article 128(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, anyone who wishes to renounce Singapore citizenship must fulfill the following three conditions:

1. He/she must be 21 years of age or above
2. Must be of sound mind
3. Is or is about to become a citizen of another country

In addition, for a male citizen, the government may withhold the registration of declaration of renunciation of Singapore Citizenship under Article 128(2)(b) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, the provisions which are listed below:

If the declaration is made during any war in which Singapore is engaged

Or

If the declaration is made by a person subject to the Enlistment Act unless he has:

1. Discharged his liability for full-time service under Section 12 of the Act
2. Rendered at least 3 years of service under Section 13 of the Act in lieu of such full-time service
3. Complied with such conditions as may be determined by the Government

What this essentially implies is that if the male citizen is subject to the Enlistment Act and has not discharged his duty for National Service (or equivalent service), the Government has the right to withhold his renunciation of Singapore Citizenship.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks Mate !! you're a gem

OP

What it said in the guidemesingapore is only a general guideline.

You are serving the National Service which is under CMPB . This overrule the ICA guideline.
You have to serve and complete your NS , then you can renounce .
If you do that , you can come back for social visit and even employment in the not too distant future, You never know what lies ahead for yourself
If you follow what ICA said, you still need to complete your NS unless ICA can give you in writing then you renounce which end result is as per my earlier posting.
To my recollection what ICA said is misleading and does not hold water.The Gahmen will not allow you to renounce until you complete your NS liabilities.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

moroemon

Post by moroemon » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 6:47 pm

Thank you for the quick response.

If I am not allowed to renounce before my 22nd birthday, what will become of my other citizenship? I am already set on taking up my other citizenship which also does not allow dual citizenship, and in order to take up that citizenship, I have to show proof that I am no longer a citizen of Singapore.

Anyways, is there any chance I would be able to renounce and leave the country before I complete NS( on the day when I am required to either take the oath or renounce)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 4:28 am

moroemon wrote:Thank you for the quick response.

If I am not allowed to renounce before my 22nd birthday, what will become of my other citizenship? I am already set on taking up my other citizenship which also does not allow dual citizenship, and in order to take up that citizenship, I have to show proof that I am no longer a citizen of Singapore.

Anyways, is there any chance I would be able to renounce and leave the country before I complete NS( on the day when I am required to either take the oath or renounce)
The age to renounce or pledge Oath of Allegiance to SG is between 21 to 22
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=134

You will be 21 next year yes ? so .. you still have time to react about 12 months from your 21st. DOB
If you do not pledge , you will lose your SG Citizenship automatically when you turn 22. REMEMBER THIS BY HEART.
Look I am not a mind reader so it is best you answer my following questions before I can advise further
1. How old are you now and when will you turn 21, month and day?
2. When will you ROD from NS next year?You need that release letter from your unit or else you are considered Defaulter or AWOL.
3. Which country are you holding your foreign citizenship?
4. Early release due to study is allowed in NS but to my knowledge not for renounciation.You have to clarify this with ICA in writing and MINDEF or else you get screwed bigh time
5. If you got those in writing, are you prepared not to take up in work employment or set up business in the not too distant future. Think very hard in this global economy. As much as you find it hard to fit in, this is temporary inconvenience compare to lifetime loss opportunity financially.
I will try my best to give you my honest advise and if need be I will research for you on how best to go about this.
You have to come clean OR ELSE all bets are off the table

moroemon

Post by moroemon » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:38 pm

Mad Scientist..

Hope you don't mind if I pm you about it...wouldn't like to go into too much detail too openly. :( Thanks..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 4:22 am

moroemon wrote:Mad Scientist..

Hope you don't mind if I pm you about it...wouldn't like to go into too much detail too openly. :( Thanks..
Hey , no worries, glad I can be of some use. Already PM a reply to you.

Good Luck and if you need help post again.

REMEMBER GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING

jcismypassion

Post by jcismypassion » Fri, 01 Apr 2011 8:58 pm

i am in the same situation as moroemon. im turning 21 this june. it would be nice to know how it turned out for him.

jcismypassion

Post by jcismypassion » Fri, 01 Apr 2011 9:30 pm

oh and i was naturalised in 2007 when i was 16. and im alone in singapore whole family is in the states. renting a weekend room because im in a stay-in unit. enlisted 2010 june 4. ord in june 3 2011. i came back to singapore just to serve the military. i could have easily avoided it but not coming back. but i think it would be best to find a way to renounce my citizenship than having a criminal record. im 10 months in the service already. i would only turn 22 a week after i ORD.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 3:24 am

jcismypassion wrote:oh and i was naturalised in 2007 when i was 16. and im alone in singapore whole family is in the states. renting a weekend room because im in a stay-in unit. enlisted 2010 june 4. ord in june 3 2011. i came back to singapore just to serve the military. i could have easily avoided it but not coming back. but i think it would be best to find a way to renounce my citizenship than having a criminal record. im 10 months in the service already. i would only turn 22 a week after i ORD.

And how can we assist you ?

jcismypassion

Post by jcismypassion » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 2:15 pm

just wondering how it turned out for moroemon. because i was told the same thing by a mindef officer.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 6:59 pm

jcismypassion wrote:just wondering how it turned out for moroemon. because i was told the same thing by a mindef officer.
Sorry I cannot discuss what is in private. But to be fair to you he did what told him and I believe all is well.

If you think you need help, gather 5 post then PM me here then I will guide you from there. Your choice

jcismypassion

Post by jcismypassion » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 3:51 am

fair enough MS.[/quote]

jcismypassion

Post by jcismypassion » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 3:54 am

I would also like to know what would happen if lets say i stayed in another country until i am past 22.would i still be considered a singapore citizen since i did not take the oath? or the govt will still hold on to my citizenship until i have come back and faced the consequences of not finishing ns?