Singapore Expats

ADEX 2011

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

ADEX 2011

Post by InTheBlue » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 1:49 pm

Hey all, is there anybody going to ADEX 2011 in a few weeks

I will be there for 3 days handing out flyers so if anyone is there and wants a beer after I will be good for a few.

Also..............

Sharks Savers need volunteers for its booth at ADEX to canvass for the "No to shark fin soup" pledges from the masses (divers, to-be divers & non-divers)!

Would organise training before the big ADEX weekend!
PLEASE HELP! Don't be shy!

Email to: [email protected] [email protected]. Thanks!

Something like what they had during the HK dive expo... http://www.sharksavers.org/en/blogs/com ... -expo.html

Add: Any help is much appreciated, don't have to be available for the full 3 days! Thanks![/b]

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: ADEX 2011

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 2:30 pm

InTheBlue wrote: Sharks Savers need volunteers for its booth at ADEX to canvass for the "No to shark fin soup" pledges from the masses (divers, to-be divers & non-divers)!
Where is ADEX ?? And to be honest, last three months, my volunteer / social service group as been invited for atleast a dozen chinese dinners, and all served shark fin soup .. :( :(

While I was against it, the physically challenged and the others were thrilled ..

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 2:37 pm

ADEX is in Hall 404 Suntec 22nd to 24th April.

As an Ang moh it is easy to not eat shark fin soup but it is a pretty emotive subject here however Shark Savers are trying to make it an Asian issue and to get the people that consume it to realise that killing 100 million sharks (2010) will mean that there will be no more sharks in a very short period of time.

They need all the support they can get so anything anyone can do is good.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 4:17 pm

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 7:30 pm

Still looking for help from anyone that doesn't agree with Shark finning! A lot of the volunteers are not divers but do care about the oceans environment and the fact that 100,000,000 (that's 100 million!!!) sharks were killed for their fins last year! With that number of sharks being killed we will lose the apex predator of the sea in a few years. That will be the start of the end of the ocean as we know it.

evannicole88
Regular
Regular

Post by evannicole88 » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 9:52 pm

well.. I am a local here.. but i do not like sharks fin soup either coz sharks will soon be extinct at the rate we're eating! Just like turtles!

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:08 pm

Totally agree. Turtles are the mascot and a heavy focus for the expo. Let me know if you can or want to help out.
Cheers

lavendar

Post by lavendar » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:22 pm

Turtles can carry a harmful germ called Salmonella.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 6:58 pm

lavendar wrote:Turtles can carry a harmful germ called Salmonella.
Useless posts can be harmful to your forum health as well! :mad:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:58 pm

Why is that a useless post? It's both true and documented. The fact that it is impinging on your "ADVERTISING" campaign is immaterial as this isn't a closed forum or thread.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why is that a useless post? It's both true and documented. The fact that it is impinging on your "ADVERTISING" campaign is immaterial as this isn't a closed forum or thread.

It is totally irrelevant and also negative when what I was trying to do was support the people that are striving to stop the local turtle population being decimated by ignorance that this type of comment promotes.

If you think that I am advertising with regard to anything to do with saving sharks or turtles then you are sadly mistaken. I am just trying to save what little wildlife we have in the sea for future generations and negative posts like this one just give people further reason and justification to go out and kill that wildlife.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:52 am

InTheBlue wrote: If you think that I am advertising with regard to anything to do with saving sharks or turtles then you are sadly mistaken. I am just trying to save what little wildlife we have in the sea for future generations and negative posts like this one just give people further reason and justification to go out and kill that wildlife.
I am a diver, and I can understand where you come from, but the way you retorted sounded like a serious threat .. unless I missed the missing smileys ..

Forgive me for barging in ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:07 am

If anybody has done any research here you will also find I am a diver with over 40 years of sport & commercial diving experience. I think you are a bit OTT and frankly, I'd be surprised if you get any help at all, even though your intentions are commendable, your attitude leave a bit to be desired.

The post stays.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If anybody has done any research here you will also find I am a diver with over 40 years of sport & commercial diving experience. I think you are a bit OTT and frankly, I'd be surprised if you get any help at all, even though your intentions are commendable, your attitude leave a bit to be desired.
+1 for your post (Singapore style) :D :D

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:56 pm

SMS, I know you are a diver and did not make any assumptions there. However as a diver, I would have expected (maybe erroneously) that, like me you would not want to see any negative posts about the sea life that brings us enjoyment and is being decimated through ignorance and greed.
I am extremely passionate about this and felt pretty upset that the post from lavender was such a pointless and negative post especially when I was trying to promote support of turtles. It also came across as a search engine spammer post in it's brevity and lack of relevance

However I am willing to concede that my response was not as well thought out as it should have been and even OTT as you put it (unless you were referencing some other post) so I apologize to lavender and any others in the forum that took offense to my response.

To change attitudes about what is going on in the sea needs constant pressure and passion or old fashioned ideas will prevail. Comments like'some turtles carry salmonella' are just counter productive and pointless.

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”