Singapore Expats

No hot water in kitchen

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The best part is the local detergents for dishes are formulated especially for ordinary tap water. Hot water isn't required at all. Unless, of course, you are one of these people who have to try to sterilize the dishes. But unless you are sealing them up after washing them, they aren't sterile long anyway. I like a hot shower though, but after working in the yard or other strenuous activities I have to admit a cool shower works great in this climate. So we find just a electric airpot and instant hot water heaters in the baths takes care of most all of our needs. We even keep the temperature down on the washing machine when we can.
Bet when you move back to the States you won't do all your laundry on a cold cycle.

Same reason dishwashers don't have cold cycles...

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 2:12 pm

I like hot water for washing dishes because it gets them clean easier, especially if there's anything greasy to wash. I spend enough time washing up as it is, I'm not going to do anything to make the job take longer
:?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 2:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The best part is the local detergents for dishes are formulated especially for ordinary tap water. Hot water isn't required at all.
Take any grease type that solidifies at the local room temperatures (many) and there is no way any reasonable detergent can handle it efficiently whether formulated to work at lower temperatures or not. Also for me shorter it takes, the better. 2nd most hated house chore right after ironing.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 3:45 pm

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The best part is the local detergents for dishes are formulated especially for ordinary tap water. Hot water isn't required at all.
Take any grease type that solidifies at the local room temperatures (many) and there is no way any reasonable detergent can handle it efficiently whether formulated to work at lower temperatures or not. Also for me shorter it takes, the better. 2nd most hated house chore right after ironing.
That's probably why most people in Asia use oils, e.g., vegetable, sunflower, canola, groundnut oil, etc., etc. and not Crisco or lard. These oils don't solidify so the detergents formulated for oils work a treat. I'm not dissing hot water. I grew up using hot water but today, as utilities go higher and higher, I'm just finding more and more ways to use less utilities if possible both for the ecology and the economy. Hot water is a waste of electricity/gas used to heat it up when it really isn't necessary. I've also installed pressure taps on all the sinks in the house with the exception of the kitchen sink in order to keep people from leaving the water run which doing things like shaving and brushing their teeth. It all helps.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

unrevealed
Regular
Regular

Post by unrevealed » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 4:06 pm

BigSis wrote:I like hot water for washing dishes because it gets them clean easier, especially if there's anything greasy to wash. I spend enough time washing up as it is, I'm not going to do anything to make the job take longer
:?
Yeah, unless we are keen to play with dishes, we must inevitably make it fast. I believe women are dedicated to do the washing quickly and beautifully (but of course not confined to this housework : )

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 8:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: That's probably why most people in Asia use oils, e.g., vegetable, sunflower, canola, groundnut oil, etc., etc. and not Crisco or lard. These oils don't solidify so the detergents formulated for oils work a treat.
Not sure if this is really the case - take ghee for that instance, but actually the problem I have is that I do not use the cooking oils at all or use it very sparingly and I am a meat addict at the same time. All what comes out is solid.
sundaymorningstaple wrote: I'm not dissing hot water. I grew up using hot water but today, as utilities go higher and higher, I'm just finding more and more ways to use less utilities if possible both for the ecology and the economy. Hot water is a waste of electricity/gas used to heat it up when it really isn't necessary. I've also installed pressure taps on all the sinks in the house with the exception of the kitchen sink in order to keep people from leaving the water run which doing things like shaving and brushing their teeth. It all helps.
Yeah, ok but likely if you use cold water only it takes longer to get things cleaned and it takes more of the detergent. What I normally do, I flush the dishes with hot water and clean them with no water running and later flush all of them together with cold water.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:16 am

Basically, I do the same. Only I flush with regular tap water. Oh, I like my meats as well, but I tend to go for leaner meats and not kobe beef. I don't use mutton or lamb unless it's in curries and then we are back to liquid fats/oils so again no problem. I probably don't use any more or less water than you do, but I use less electricity and detergent? Guess that would depend on what was cooked and how many you were cooking for (I have 7 adults & a 3 year old in my house) and when they eat. (usually all different times) so that's a lot of hot water and utilities to get it. Leave the dishes in the sink all day and wash only once a day? No thanks! Kitchen always looks like a pigsty that way. Guess it really doesn't matter which way one does it as long as we are happy, yeah? :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

unrevealed
Regular
Regular

Post by unrevealed » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Basically, I do the same. Only I flush with regular tap water. Oh, I like my meats as well, but I tend to go for leaner meats and not kobe beef. I don't use mutton or lamb unless it's in curries and then we are back to liquid fats/oils so again no problem. I probably don't use any more or less water than you do, but I use less electricity and detergent? Guess that would depend on what was cooked and how many you were cooking for (I have 7 adults & a 3 year old in my house) and when they eat. (usually all different times) so that's a lot of hot water and utilities to get it. Leave the dishes in the sink all day and wash only once a day? No thanks! Kitchen always looks like a pigsty that way. Guess it really doesn't matter which way one does it as long as we are happy, yeah? :wink:
I also usually go for lean meats but have to admit fatty parts are tastier in certain dishes like roasted chicken, don’t ask me to remove the skin. Btw, 7 adults and a 3 year old sounds really fun innit? My nephew is 4 yo with 4 adults around and he is adorable! Can’t help to say as I’m always fascinated by almost everything about kids.