Singapore Expats

Masters degree holder, what sort of visa/pass to go for?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 9:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:unrevealed, you've got it bass ackwards. You have to get the EPEC first. Then you apply for the LTVP. But it's not guaranteed that you will get 12 months. In fact you might get only 3/6 months or you might not be given one at all even though you have the EPEC.
And add to it,it is the first time I found out that you can choose the type of pass you want :D :D

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't it MOM that decides, even with a 4000 $ salary, to put you on S Pass, or with 3,000 - on E Pass ?? seen that, and never figured it out, unless somebody has really cracked the secret code ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 9:55 am

Yeah, the closest thing you have for choice is when you apply for the EP. The choice? Would you consider an S pass if MOM decides you are not qualified for the EP (whichever the type of EP). All the guidelines for the various passes are "Minimum" qualifications for consideration. Doesn't mean because you have them, you will get the pass you desire.

In fact, anecdotal evidence suggests that sometimes, extended family makeup can determine which pass you are given if they feel giving a too high a pass will allow the pass holder to bring in too many people. That sounds a bit suspect to me, but who knows what they are capable of. We do know that they have always used immigration/mom to control the racial percentages here so I guess it's feasible.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mambo5five

Post by mambo5five » Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:03 pm

unrevealed,

are you still awaiting for your EPEC? or you already in Singapore seeking for a job?

unrevealed
Regular
Regular

Post by unrevealed » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:34 am

mambo5five wrote:unrevealed,

are you still awaiting for your EPEC? or you already in Singapore seeking for a job?
I had applied for EPEC and get approved end of Feb before I entered Singapore under a 30 day social visit pass early March, seeking for jobs whilst waiting for EPEC comes in paper (sadly still looking). Already applied for the one year visit pass upon the receipt of the cert last week and expected to wait for maximum 4 weeks till the result comes out. In almost cases, it isn't likely to find a job while you're overseas. In my opinion, headhunters and companies recruiting directly work professionally here. If they find your profile matched their current vacancies, they will quickly give you a screening call and invite you for an interview if things go well. Of course, it depends very much on your education and work history, in other words, your CV/Resume and salary expectation will speak it all in the first place. Btw, are you currently in Singapore or still else where? Hope I was clear enough and hope this helps. Cheers

mambo5five

Post by mambo5five » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks unrevealed,

I had just went for a job interview this afternoon, yes I am currently in Singapore. I've not even applied for EPEC yet, i entered Singapore under a 30 day social visit pass.

Will see if the company get back o me...

unrevealed
Regular
Regular

Post by unrevealed » Thu, 31 Mar 2011 1:26 pm

Good to hear that. Hope it went nicely. Cheers x