Singapore Expats

No hot water in kitchen

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

No hot water in kitchen

Post by JR8 » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 9:40 am

Something that I have been meaning to ask for a long time.

Last place I rented (condo) it had a little electric immersion heater above the ceiling in each bathroom. So you'd turn it on for 15-20 minutes each morning before having a shower.

But there was no hot water in the kitchen at all (for washing up or laundry). Apparently my SGn in-laws also have no hot water in their HDB kitchen.

How prevalent is not having hot water in the kitchen? And more to the point how are people meant to deal with that?

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:29 am

All the condos we stayed in had hot water in the kitchen.

We did a weekend over at a friend's HDB in the east and had hot water in the kitchen as well as that little sink outside the toilet.

I don't wash my dishes in hot water anymore (my in-laws still do) as the water here is already warm!
Just me

DazzleBabe

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:34 am

Older places often don't have water heaters in the kitchen, from what I've seen. I looked at a few older houses at one point when I was moving house, and lots of them had no water heaters at all (even in the bathrooms).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:55 am

Hmmmmph

I have something like a 30+ piece Analon pan set. Now with a year (odd) out of SG almost everything has been used and washed here in Europe. It still rather revolts me to pull the occasional pan from the cupboard and have to give it a scrub down. Not least because it was not possible to wash them properly in SG, it's so gross, and also the pans are just so much more efficient when properly clean.

Good luck making pancakes in a frying pan you haven't washed in hot water for 2 years!

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:00 am

JR8 wrote: Good luck making pancakes in a frying pan you haven't washed in hot water for 2 years!

pssst, we bought a dishwasher ;)
Just me

DazzleBabe

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:40 am

hot.
pot.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 1:40 pm

I wonder why they haven't used solar panels for hot water yet :???: I though HDB was thinking of doing some project with solar panels, though i would expect it on a condo at least. Though my expectations are quite demanding I don't always get what i want :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 2:45 pm

Quite a few private houses have roof mounted solar heating tubes. I've not used hot water for washing dishes for a quarter of a century with no problems. We use instant hot water heaters in the showers and an electric hotpot for hot water for tea/coffee, etc. My pans work fine (until the MiL gets ahold of them - then cast iron isn't even safe), dishes and glasses sparkle and we have no health problems. I guess, if you keep your body's natural defenses always in a state of high alert, you are more immune to the little things in life. :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 3:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I guess, if you keep your body's natural defenses always in a state of high alert, you are more immune to the little things in life. :)
So, this is one of those rare instances where living/having lived in a third world is an advantage? :P

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 3:03 pm

ksl wrote:I wonder why they haven't used solar panels for hot water yet :???: I though HDB was thinking of doing some project with solar panels, though i would expect it on a condo at least. Though my expectations are quite demanding I don't always get what i want :)
You'll never get full agreement from all owners at a condo because Landlord owners just don't want to fork out the cash to pay for it, absolutely no finance benefit to them as they don't pay the utility bills. The same for new builds as well.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 3:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Quite a few private houses have roof mounted solar heating tubes. I've not used hot water for washing dishes for a quarter of a century with no problems. We use instant hot water heaters in the showers and an electric hotpot for hot water for tea/coffee, etc. My pans work fine (until the MiL gets ahold of them - then cast iron isn't even safe), dishes and glasses sparkle and we have no health problems. I guess, if you keep your body's natural defenses always in a state of high alert, you are more immune to the little things in life. :)
Had a shock the other day to find a slightly smaller Maisonette selling for 530,000, now they have just refused an offer to sell as there is upgrading starting soon to put lift in the Maisonette building, so they are hoping it will push the price up to 600K :???: Another only 700 mtrs away is asking 600K with 80K COV. There are only 4 units in ours so no upgrade for lift. Retirement homes for rent are just being build less than 200 meters away, so I can imagine the oldies will sell up take the cash and rent in the retirement home.

I'm wondering if solar panels will increase the value too, though now the rules have changed again our daughter is not allowed to inherit our place if she is single. I was looking to put new windows and solar for long term investment, as I can see me transitioning from Singapore to my next life so it doesn't really matter for me. :-|

These price rises are good news for you I guess!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 3:13 pm

Yeah, hopefully the lift upgrading will be almost complete by year end or next spring, latest. In addition to being on the LUP committee I'm also on the MPU steering committee as well. It's nice to be on the inside track and having a say on how the money is spent in our estate. Should do the valuation nicely. (One hopes, anyway! ;-) )
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 5:10 pm

What's a hot-pot?

Both SMS and Nak used the term

:???:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 5:17 pm

Ok, maybe electric kettle is more apt.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 5:18 pm

JR8 wrote:What's a hot-pot?

Both SMS and Nak used the term

:???:
For making drinks, just like a 2 ltr flask with a press button, to reboil the water and a pump like effect in the middle to force hot water out.

We use a 7 ltr one with electronic pump. Kettles actually are much better than the Chinese Hot -pots as the water appears to be actually boiling before switching off...The water temperature is noticeable, when making tea or coffee
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 30 Mar 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.