Singapore Expats

-

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jobs33ker

-

Post by jobs33ker » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:18 pm

Last edited by jobs33ker on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:30 pm

Do you have any experience? Without experience, don't waste your time. Come over for a holiday, or even on a work holiday, but don't get disgruntled if you don't find a job. Law firms and any other company will have to justify to the Ministry of Manpower why they want to hire a foreigner instead of a local, especially for an administrative/clerical job. The odds just aren't in your favour, to be perfectly honest.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jobs33ker

Post by jobs33ker » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:42 pm

Last edited by jobs33ker on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:53 pm

What exceptional qualities do you have that a local could not provide?

jobs33ker

Post by jobs33ker » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 1:43 pm

Last edited by jobs33ker on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 2:04 pm

Lol.... well, I reckon that either you are trolling, or you're on some kinda pipe-dream.

Skilled migrants =/= 'mediocre law grad'

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 3:10 pm

jobs33ker wrote:i think that depends on the pool of applicants that the position attracts. if i'm up against an O level or Poly grad for a legal secretary position for example, i will probably have stronger oral and written communication skills.
You can read & write singlish izzit! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jobs33ker

Post by jobs33ker » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 5:25 pm

Last edited by jobs33ker on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 7:10 pm

Nope. Just shows you are equal to the local, not better. So given that the Gubment tends to favour citizens/PR over FT, you still might have a problem.

Oh, and yes, it doesn't matter what your occupation or profession might be, you still have to go through the MOM. As a legal type person, you may well have to also be vetted by the law society or similar. There are positions as legal executives, and so forth, open to foreigners here, but again, the fact that MNC's want them, they still have to be approved by MOM before the employer can actually hire them. Just because you see advertisements stating open to foreigners, doesn't mean that they can get approved as a specific point in time. Obviously it can be done, but a lot probably has to do with the majority of the clientele of the legal firm.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:42 am

jobs33ker wrote:jr8, did i say i considered myself a skilled migrant? i don't think skilled migrants come to sg seeking admin jobs. oh and i can smell that anti-foreigner sentiment from a mile by the way.
Anti-foreigner? Moi!? heavens no I'm more of a generalist (sociopath) :P

As I understand it, for a foreigner coming to SG for work you either need to be willing to do work that SGns won't (sweeping the streets), or you need to demonstrate that you have skills that a SGn employee cannot reasonably be expected to find in a local hire. They then have to make a bloody good case to MoM to get you a visa. Hence my use of the term 'skilled'; i.e. your demonstrable advantage, the sizzle that is going to sell your sausage. Am I getting through? Comprende?

I'm still not sold on why a company in SG would want to hire a mediocre law grad with little experience for an admin role, but wish you all the best.

jobs33ker

Post by jobs33ker » Sun, 27 Mar 2011 1:58 pm

Last edited by jobs33ker on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Mar 2011 4:30 pm

10 years ago, it WAS easy. It just got hard from Sept 2009 when the local raising cane finally got the gubmint to listen to their complaints about foreigners taking their jobs.

jobs33ker

Post by jobs33ker » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 7:40 pm

Last edited by jobs33ker on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 9:32 pm

The search function works well (the one just under the profile link at the upper right side of this page.

Local = Singaporean raising cane

I think I see why you might have had a problem in law school. You are not very good at research are you.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The search function works well (the one just under the profile link at the upper right side of this page.

Local = Singaporean raising cane

I think I see why you might have had a problem in law school. You are not very good at research are you.
If it was - it would be the first time in my life that I met a lawyer who doesn't do his research :D :D

I did some support work for three of the top law firms here, and even their pupils were Aces .. and for trainee lawyers ? Yes, they do have trainee lawyers, but until they become full fledged - they had to do their own 'secretarial' work, and only once fully in did they get a typing pool secretary or perm secretary ..

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”