Singapore Expats

NS for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ginner-Sg

NS for PR

Post by Ginner-Sg » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 9:53 am

Hi, was just wondering about NS. I became a PR last mth, though my wife who is a Singaporean. My question is do i have to do NS?, I've got no degree so did not come under PTS, was just wondering.

:shock: :roll:

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: NS for PR

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:01 am

Ginner-Sg wrote:Hi, was just wondering about NS. I became a PR last mth, though my wife who is a Singaporean. My question is do i have to do NS?, I've got no degree so did not come under PTS, was just wondering.

If I am not wrong, you need not and only your male kids would be asked to do NS

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:26 pm

Ginner-Sg wrote:Hi, was just wondering about NS. I became a PR last mth, though my wife who is a Singaporean. My question is do i have to do NS?, I've got no degree so did not come under PTS, was just wondering.

Wouldn't it have been an idea to check this before you signed the papers?

ICA website says those who get PR via PTS are exempt, it doesn't say those who get it via their spouse are so I'd be inclined to think that you may be expected to serve, but I could be wrong

"Main applicants who are granted PR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. "

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:37 pm

JayCee wrote:

Wouldn't it have been an idea to check this before you signed the papers?

ICA website says those who get PR via PTS are exempt, it doesn't say those who get it via their spouse are so I'd be inclined to think that you may be expected to serve, but I could be wrong

"Main applicants who are granted PR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. "

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151
But spouses who get PR under the spouse scheme would get an exemption. just my 2 cents.. MS or SMS can confirm

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:48 pm

I guess this one explains it, unless the rules have changed in a year (which they could have done of course)

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic62990.html

Depends how old you are Ginner

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 1:33 pm

SF and Jaycee are spot on. YOu may need to register for NS but you will not serve the NS duty
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 3:49 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:SF and Jaycee are spot on. YOu may need to register for NS but you will not serve the NS duty
I wouldn't say you will not have to serve NS as it could depend on the age of the OP. If the OP is say 20 years old he might be called up for NS. If you are under 40 you will have to register for NS.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 4:47 pm

Saint wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:SF and Jaycee are spot on. YOu may need to register for NS but you will not serve the NS duty
I wouldn't say you will not have to serve NS as it could depend on the age of the OP. If the OP is say 20 years old he might be called up for NS. If you are under 40 you will have to register for NS.
What are the chances of him being under 20 or near that age ??
He is married with a local and just received his PR. I bet ya he is around 30s.

I did say you might need to register for NS on my earlier post, did I ?

I think I did
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 5:02 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Saint wrote:

I think I did
You're probably right but without that all important info it's a hard to answer for sure.

Yes you did say he might have to register, I was just clarifying that he will have to register. I had to register and I was........... well lets just say I was in my 30's 8-[

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 5:08 pm

Saint wrote:

Yes you did say he might have to register, I was just clarifying that he will have to register. I had to register and I was........... well lets just say I was in my 30's 8-[
I thought you are only 16 minus the school holidays, National Holidays, Saturday , Sundays :lol: :P

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 4:18 pm

Yep depends also how expensive he is to be called for NS / reservist ...

I know some people in my firm who never get called for reservist cause they probably earn over 10-15k per month :/

Ginner-Sg

Post by Ginner-Sg » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 7:57 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Saint wrote:

I think I did
You are correct dear sir, my age is 31 (god getting old). So really just keep a ear out and don't do anything. Thank you for all the replies.

:shock:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 9:00 pm

Ginner-Sg wrote:
You are correct dear sir, my age is 31 (god getting old). So really just keep a ear out and don't do anything. Thank you for all the replies.

Damn I wish I was that old!

Instead of more than double that! :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ginner-Sg

Post by Ginner-Sg » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 9:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Ginner-Sg wrote:

Sorry sms. :oops:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:40 pm

Ginner-Sg wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Ginner-Sg wrote:

Sorry sms. :oops:
The things you would do all over again and stay sober, yes i know the feeling. :oops: It's really bad if your mates find out :roll: Though think of the happiness you bring to someone :)

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”