Singapore Expats

Realistic view based on 2011 reality

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
rocnav

Realistic view based on 2011 reality

Post by rocnav » Sun, 27 Mar 2011 6:39 am

Just to head off the folks who love to say "Search", I have, and I've collected a ton of great data, so thank you! However, I want to get a quick sanity check based on current exchange rates, economic factors, etc.

I will be moving to Singapore with my family of six (4 kids, 3 in school), and we've decided to send them to the Canadian School, which means we'll probably live in the Jurong area (22 or 23). I've seen the prices of condo's jump all over the place, and I assume it has to do with age, appearance, etc., but I want to get a real feel for things. Here are my questions:

1. I've heard the sq. footage quoted includes things like balcony, etc. so what percentage is actual living space?
2. I've read that rooms are REALLY small, so can you get a queen size bed in most rooms? (US queen size)
3. I've been looking at 4+1 condo's, so what is a good comfortable square footage for these? 1800sqft, 2200sqft, 3000sqft...?
4. Finally, the prices have been between $3500-7800, what is realistic in the Jurong area for a sizeable condo with facilities, where age is not terribly important (or should it be)?

Thank you so much,and I look forward to hearing your responses!

PS. Any alternate living spots are helpful too, because I work near Raffles, and only planned to be in Jurong for the kids, however, it seems as if everything is relatively close anyhow, and commute time can't be any worse than being an Houston! LOL

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: Realistic view based on 2011 reality

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 27 Mar 2011 7:27 am

rocnav wrote:Just to head off the folks who love to say "Search", I have, and I've collected a ton of great data, so thank you! However, I want to get a quick sanity check based on current exchange rates, economic factors, etc.

I will be moving to Singapore with my family of six (4 kids, 3 in school), and we've decided to send them to the Canadian School, which means we'll probably live in the Jurong area (22 or 23). I've seen the prices of condo's jump all over the place, and I assume it has to do with age, appearance, etc., but I want to get a real feel for things. Here are my questions:

1. I've heard the sq. footage quoted includes things like balcony, etc. so what percentage is actual living space?
2. I've read that rooms are REALLY small, so can you get a queen size bed in most rooms? (US queen size)
3. I've been looking at 4+1 condo's, so what is a good comfortable square footage for these? 1800sqft, 2200sqft, 3000sqft...?
4. Finally, the prices have been between $3500-7800, what is realistic in the Jurong area for a sizeable condo with facilities, where age is not terribly important (or should it be)?

PS. Any alternate living spots are helpful too, because I work near Raffles, and only planned to be in Jurong for the kids, however, it seems as if everything is relatively close anyhow, and commute time can't be any worse than being an Houston! LOL
1. They also count the lift lobby and the ledges that the air conditioning units sit on. There is no tried and true percentage to apply. I'd say, deducting somewhere around 20% will give you a better idea, but you just have to see the place. Older complexes are more spacious than the new ones as a rule.

2. A US Queen would fit in most master bedrooms of condos that pre-date 1995, give or take. After that, I wouldn't be so sure. One of the many problems with real estate here is that the size of the rooms can be wildly disproportionate. In some cases the Master is giant and two of the three remaining bedrooms are basically closets. It's usually very hard to divide up the bedrooms among children equitably.

3. Not 1800, that would be teeny-tiny. With 4 kids you better go for as big as possible, whatever your budget can allow. This will help compensate for wackadoo floor plans, which at time have unusable space.

4. I would find the right place to live (not on any of the edges) in your budget wherever it is. Singapore is small, you don't need to live so close to Jurong. Also, are you sure all 3 kids will be at the new campus? I'd also think about a semi-D around Sunset, Clementi, Dairy Farm, Upper Bukit Timah unless you're sure you want a condo. The range in prices in Jurong is $3,000 - $13,000 and individual units can vary tremendously.

If you're planning on hiring a maid, newer condos tend to have uninhabitable living space for them. With 3 school age children, and one at home an extra set of hands would be invaluable. If it were me, I would find a place where I knew I'd have room for a maid.

You might want to negotiate with your company for storage in Houston, if you haven't done so already. Not sure how big your place is there, but if you apply the law of averages, it's conceivable you'll be in a place about a third of the size here in Singapore.

Good luck with your move. :)

x9200

Re: Realistic view based on 2011 reality

Post by x9200 » Sun, 27 Mar 2011 8:46 am

rocnav wrote:1. I've heard the sq. footage quoted includes things like balcony, etc. so what percentage is actual living space?

No way to predicts. It really depends on the place. Right now we've been living in an apartment with two big balconies (probably more than 20% of the whole area) but we are pretty happy with it as they contribute very clearly to the living space.
In our previous place there were no usable balconies but there was a lift lobby and a long corridor connecting the apartment with the back door and the maid's room.

As M.H.B said, it varies very much. I reckon one of our bedrooms is smaller than one of our balconies.

Around Jurong the prices are reasonably low but the choice more limited. Again, its hard to tell, you have to visit the places and see by yourself. A 4+1 condo will unlikely give you the comfort (space) you would expect for your size of the family.

West Coats, Chua Chu Kang ... anywhere in the Western part if you are focused on Jurong. You will have no troubles to commute to and from the school but going towards the city will take some time.