Singapore Expats

Every Singaporean Son

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 5:38 pm

[quote="ttuguy421"

While on the same subject, last week, there was an Indian Navy shop in town, and the guys being normal Indian guys, were holding hands while walking - and does that make them gays or faggards and less lethal with their weapons ? [/quote]

Ooh titter ye not

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 5:56 pm

JR8 wrote:Ooh titter ye not
:D :D

SMS: as for the 70% wearing glasses, I understand it is a genetic problem with Chinese, and since majority of the county is chinese .. it will be tough if they let guys with glasses not go to army / airforce .. ..

Navy .. well .. :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 5:58 pm

JR8 wrote:does that make them gays or faggards and less lethal with their weapons ?

Ooh titter ye not
If it does, then yes, they would be less lethal with their weapons. Well, with the gals anyway! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote: While it may seem Singapore is a cartoon army for many, it is from good and respected people I have heard great praise for their efficiency and professionalism - of course, when hell breaks loose, Singapore doesn't hesitate to send a LST / support ship / tankers and medical teams primarily in non-violent roles .. :D
While I will agree with ecureilx, but only speaking about a few units in the military here (specifically the commando & Guards Battalions and the naval diving team), but unfortunately, they will have to go a long way to be able to carry the esprit de corps or swagger of the Seals, SAS, SeaBees or GB's. But again, lest we forget, with the exception of a single commando exercise 20 years ago at Changi, none of the units here have ever been blooded as mentioned, they have always "volunteered" but only for rear guard action like medical units or offshore maritime patrols. It's kind of hard to get a swagger carrying a stretcher and wearing a first aid armband.

ttuguy421 wrote:All I know is that when a bunch of U.S. Seals walk into a bar... you take notice.. and decide never to cross those guys (or any special forces... or well... any U.S. armed forces for that matter) when I see Singaporean armed forces walk into a place... I can't help but laugh to myself and feel like I am looking at a bunch of pansies...
I think a large part of that come from the fact that 70+% of them are myopic and wear specs.

I have some difficulty rationalising it. A conscript army of what 1/2 million, who have never seen combat of any kind.

I wonder how they morally sustain themselves? Being taught the horrors of combat knowing that they have never ever (through choice) been near it or are likely to?

What is the point of the SAF?

Is it a plastic army?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:10 pm

JR8 wrote:Is it a plastic army?
Well, it is not a plastic army, in my view ..

The 1/2 million conscripts are trained to fire weapons and do that when they get the NS recall and are current .. and the general speak is - while they haven't seen blood, so to speak, the full time professional army guys are trained, have to undergo endurance training and are based in Taiwan/Thailand and places so they do get to live and learn in the rough ..

Are you upset that nobody is fighting with Singapore ?? :D :D Isnt' it better they don't have to fire the weapons ?? :D :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
JR8 wrote:does that make them gays or faggards and less lethal with their weapons ?

Ooh titter ye not
If it does, then yes, they would be less lethal with their weapons. Well, with the gals anyway! :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:17 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Is it a plastic army?
Well, it is not a plastic army, in my view ..

The 1/2 million conscripts are trained to fire weapons and do that when they get the NS recall and are current .. and the general speak is - while they haven't seen blood, so to speak, the full time professional army guys are trained, have to undergo endurance training and are based in Taiwan/Thailand and places so they do get to live and learn in the rough ..

Are you upset that nobody is fighting with Singapore ?? :D :D Isnt' it better they don't have to fire the weapons ?? :D :D

Nope, just think as a 'first world country' maybe you should be sending your pampered boys off to Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

Why don't you?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:50 pm

JR8 wrote:Nope, just think as a 'first world country' maybe you should be sending your pampered boys off to Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

Why don't you?
Why don't me ?? errrr .. me no singaporean leh .. just expression my think only what :D :D - me suey suey only talk talk .. :D me no local .. :)

Seriously, off the record, I always believed that Singapore was providing the 'support' services for the Iraq effort and Afghan effort, as a show of commitment, and to get some 'air time' for the KC135 and Pumas and C130 and the LST crew, and not as a full fledged involvement .. and my 2 cents of thinking says, in case Singapore gets caught up in anything, considering the amount $ and infrastructure they built for the Americans .. it will be a revelation if US doesn't step in .. not that anybody is going to pick on Singapore .. or so I think ..

PS: dunno how true, but when a British forces crew in a Tristar was flying over Afghanistan on the way to south East Asia, the British crew had announced "to the US pax, you have your flight time over combat zone, for the British pax, you get your tea and biccies .. " :D
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 25 Mar 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttuguy421

Post by ttuguy421 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:58 pm

To quote my wife...

"I saw a Singaporean military guy the other day... he was running after the bus that he missed like he was chasing after his purse that had been stolen..."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 7:09 pm

ttuguy421 wrote:To quote my wife...

"I saw a Singaporean military guy the other day... he was running after the bus that he missed like he was chasing after his purse that had been stolen..."
Does your wife know if he is a military guy or a NS guy ?? :D :D :D

PS: have you served ?

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 7:29 pm

Well, being a local, I believe in the SG armed forces as a defence force .solely for defence
Anð yes, locals are generally smaller sIzed than you guys, but generally slightly bigger sized than the Vietnamese, whom have seen blood. So we will run slower, cannot jump as high or far, and our obese rate is climbing.
But who is perfect?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 7:47 pm

Don't you think keeping a workable army of 1/2m for solely defence purposes is a bit paranoid?

{cue Monty python voices}

Oh no, making every young man give up 2 years of his life is entirely normal.

Oh yes, I remember back when I was a lad.

Oh no, how dare they, I think it a disgrace

Oh hark at her at #27 [oh I give up]

Got to say tho, what is the point of having a massive f'kin army if you never do anything with it?

State sponsored paranoia?

p.s. Ecu.... if SG forces have served overseas pls post the links. Otherwise pls explain what the point of it all is.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 8:19 pm

JR8 wrote:Don't you think keeping a workable army of 1/2m for solely defence purposes is a bit paranoid?
let me put this way - knowing you are onto something on a Friday evening and I am not gonna get drawn into ..

.5 million people are paid and when they go for refresher, they get state sponsored holidays .. and the half of that, get to go overseas .. so in other words, let me quote a half deranged persons conclusion for US involving in Iraq, Afganistan et al - it pays the soldiers and keeps the whole defence industry well oiled :D :D
Got to say tho, what is the point of having a massive f'kin army if you never do anything with it?
So, having an army, means, you gotta fight ?? waaah .. so, none of the countries that are not in a fight must not have an army ? well, well, nice anology .. atleast, in Singapore, they developed and tested some stuff, and some are being exported and even US is a buyer for one of the Singapore made thing .. (you can google it .. ) so, who is loosing ???

And, to add, Singapore armed forces, in a way, is a primary user for this little company, which is a big time revenue generator for Singapore ..
p.s. Ecu.... if SG forces have served overseas pls post the links. Otherwise pls explain what the point of it all is.
if you are disputing my comments that SG forces have served in non-lethal roles in hot zones, you can do it yourself .. I am not here to 'provide links' and so and so .. ever heard of Google ??

Just to keep you going .. a small effort from Singapore, as US couldn't cope with their heavy lift all engaged ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporea ... ne_Katrina

Seriously, I am wondering if you are a pacifist who frowns on military or a violent person who thinks every army must be in fights ..

And did you ever wonder why our neighbour to the north does have a larger army as well, and not having a fight ??? Oh well, atleast onnce, Malaysia did save the US ass, in some forgotten theater ..

of course, I could be 100% wrong, and you are 100%, my lord .. ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 8:31 pm

JR8 wrote:
If they didn't what would they do on National Day? :wink:

I've spent around 15 years with very close proximity to the Singapore Forces when I lived in Seletar Air Base from '83-99. I have to say though, they are a far cry today from the way it was back then. It was in the early '80's that I actually met and had a long conversation with Winston Choo about that very thing. Some disagree with me today and maybe they are right (but I doubt it) but I think they still figure a 72 hour standoff capability till the 7th fleet arrives. Oh, I don't think that they have a half mil army. From what I gather it's only around 350K at full call up. So you have to remember that probably 60% or more are unfit civilian now. The ease with which they can get out of reservist duties is amazing.

It's kind of like the US National Guard. :roll: Weekend warriors at best and cannon fodder at worst. But having said all that, Singapore is going the high-tech way. How effective it would be in the crunch I'm not too sure. They couldn't find one man with a limp. The reason? Human error. Not Siht sherlock! And there lies the problem here. Nobody thinks for themselves as they are afraid of having to take the blame for failure. Think out of the Box! :roll: Damn I hate that expression!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 8:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Don't you think keeping a workable army of 1/2m for solely defence purposes is a bit paranoid?
let me put this way - knowing you are onto something on a Friday evening

For you.... it's morning for me man!