Singapore Expats

Manila a Worrying Prospect

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Plavt
Director
Director

Manila a Worrying Prospect

Post by Plavt » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 7:12 am

Doesn't have to be just Manila of course but what is worrying is just how many Filipinos are blissfully unaware of this friends included;

http://english.aljazeera.net/video/asia ... 20281.html

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 8:32 am

Oh yeah....THAT.

Hmmm....poorly executed urban planning, shoddy infrastructure, unenforced building codes, red tape, corruption, squatting, urban sprawl, and no foresight...

Yup, we're f***ed.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 9:17 am

Gets you thinking doesn't it.

What would you do if you knew you were working in a high rise building, with family in schools, at home, working on the roads and this will hit anytime?

It's easy to say to go to work, prepare for the worse and hug everyone (possibly last) goodbye before trotting off. I would probably not leave my house and family (and pets included!).
Just me

DazzleBabe

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 9:43 am

They've been doing that since 1909 in San Francisco and the rest of California as well.

I'm gonna buy up a lot of desert in the High country as that's gonna be the new waterfront in California when the rest slides under the surf. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 1:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They've been doing that since 1909 in San Francisco and the rest of California as well.

I'm gonna buy up a lot of desert in the High country as that's gonna be the new waterfront in California when the rest slides under the surf. :o
Isnt' Manila world's fifth largest city or something ?

While the city attracts hordes - a-la Delhi/Mumbai or other such cities, the infrastructure - yes.

A quick indicator would be how difficult it is for the fire department to reach fires .. and how often they are stuck between building unable to maneuver heavy rescue equipment ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 3:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:They've been doing that since 1909 in San Francisco and the rest of California as well.

Isnt' Manila world's fifth largest city or something ?

While the city attracts hordes - a-la Delhi/Mumbai or other such cities, the infrastructure - yes.

A quick indicator would be how difficult it is for the fire department to reach fires .. and how often they are stuck between building unable to maneuver heavy rescue equipment ..
March is fire prevention month and we commemorate it by having buildings on fire, wherein fire trucks--if they're operational--have a parade to the fire site (they drive slow enough so that everyone can follow the pace). We even have games wherein we try to get the most number of people in the way of the firefighters doing their jobs. The first team to connect a hose to a working fire hydrant wins.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 3:54 pm

The key word there was "working" fire hydrant. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 5:28 pm

nakatago wrote:March is fire prevention month and we commemorate it by having buildings on fire, wherein fire trucks--if they're operational--have a parade to the fire site (they drive slow enough so that everyone can follow the pace).
:D :D I remember in Philippines, when there was an anti narcotics procession, my friend's father proudly said "it is drug addicts celebration day" or something to that effect ..

Some people do have some sense of humour .. ;)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 7:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:March is fire prevention month and we commemorate it by having buildings on fire, wherein fire trucks--if they're operational--have a parade to the fire site (they drive slow enough so that everyone can follow the pace).
:D :D I remember in Philippines, when there was an anti narcotics procession, my friend's father proudly said "it is drug addicts celebration day" or something to that effect ..

Some people do have some sense of humour .. ;)
You should go to a Filipino wake...of which there would be a lot when that earthquake happens.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 8:34 pm

I've been in Manila the past week. The local newspaper printed an article about a 5.3 quake on Monday at 6:30... never felt a thing... then again, I was in a Manila taxi... a unique experience.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I've been in Manila the past week. The local newspaper printed an article about a 5.3 quake on Monday at 6:30... never felt a thing... then again, I was in a Manila taxi... a unique experience.
According to PHILVOLCS, there was a 5.7 in Mindoro at 6.37 pm and a 4.7 at 9:29 pm in Camarines Sur which are both significant distances from Manila. You wouldn't feel either while in transit.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 5:22 pm

to quote the National Disaster Coordinating Council..we have everything. A smorgasboard of natural disasters. landslide, volcano eruptions, typhoons, earthquake, fires, etc.

the community where i came from actually experience fires alot because of the squatters and shanties built together. so they dont rely on the firefighters to reach in time. The neighbors just get the pails and buckets and put out the fire with whatever they can get. one time the fire was behind our house and good thing we had a firewall and the neighbors were able to put out the fire in time. BUT Just in case, we have a ready bag of stuff and important documents which we will take out if ever there is a fire.

were aware of the faultlines and everything but what can you do.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 5:35 pm

morenangpinay wrote:were aware of the faultlines and everything but what can you do.
emigrate.

</sarcasm>

Somebody should find a way of packaging "Disaster Tourism"---the ultimate thrill ride and adventure. That oughta pump more money into the economy. Works for Iceland and Hawaii.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 6:02 pm

nakatago wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:were aware of the faultlines and everything but what can you do.
emigrate.

</sarcasm>

Somebody should find a way of packaging "Disaster Tourism"---the ultimate thrill ride and adventure. That oughta pump more money into the economy. Works for Iceland and Hawaii.
wait lemme message our beloved president on facebook..."Survivor Philippines: where every second counts"