Singapore Expats

Dating situation for caucasian European males in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 1:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's been around for a couple years already! As I said in my post at the top of the page, it's like a bad penny. It's keeps showing up again. Somebody will come across it and cannot resist making a post so then it gets new legs for a page or two. :wink:
Yes, I must admit I did take the bait a little!! Shame on me...

My rant wasn't intended to open up a can of worms, it just frustrates me that people like to have regular pops about Foreigners. We are in the minority, making up 8-10% (I'm estimating here) of the people in Singapore. There is so much 'local' to go round that I really don't understand why we get such a bad press at times. Some of my colleagues always blame the expats for wrecking their lives when a relationship or fling ends badly. And there are only so many times you her about this until you start thinking - 'well it takes two to tango' and, unless you are planning a on reporting a rape or violence case to the Police, then what exactly have they done? Not bought you a handbag, wanted a night out with their mates rather than take you for dinner?

Of course there are great local woman who are sharp, funny, intelligent, attractive, witty, aren't on their phones 24/7 etc. My point is that there are all variations of people in all walks of life. A few bad experiences is not grounds for generalisation.

And SMS sums things up very well - the majority do not help themselves one little bit. My female, local colleagues know exactly what they are doing by going to bars like the Fullerton, Il Fiore, Harry's, and boat quay - in fact we tease them about it! - because they know the type of people (mostly bankers and traders) who hang out there. And then when they discover that they aren't the only local in the guys life or it's nothing more than a one night stand, or they have to return home because their 1 year contract ends - well, the ranting starts. Yet they choose to put themselves in the situation time and time again hoping they find the diamond in the rock. Good health starts with being pro-active about your lifestyle rather than reactive to problems, dating should be the same.

Anyway, today is a lovely Sunny day and hope you all enjoy it!! Over and out!!

bariq1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bariq1 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 4:58 pm

local colleagues know exactly what they are doing by going to bars like the Fullerton, Il Fiore, Harry's, and boat quay - in fact we tease them about it! - because they know the type of people (mostly bankers and traders) who hang out there. And then when they discover that they aren't the only local in the guys life or it's nothing more than a one night stand, or they have to return home because their 1 year contract ends - well, the ranting starts. Yet they choose to put themselves in the situation time and time again hoping they find the diamond in the rock. Good health starts with being pro-active about your lifestyle rather than reactive to problems, dating should be the same.
wise words dude. cant agree more

2487chica

Post by 2487chica » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:37 am

@BillyB Ahh... now I get what you're talking about...

-jt-

Post by -jt- » Sat, 26 Mar 2011 9:14 pm

nushk wrote:
pakjohn wrote:
agree in fact its the uber wealthy "old money" ones actually deliberately try and be as low key as possible.
I know Jim Rodgers moved here from the U.S.. He dresses pretty low key on TV, I wonder if that's marketing or is he a Sam Walton type?

He was pretty low key in the 70's, stayed away from anything resembling conspicuous consumption, I wonder if billions of dollars has changed him.

(sorry for an off topic post, but seems like the threads taking a breather.)
sorry to go off topic too, but I find jim rogers not at all low-key. dressing is one thing, but he sure loveeess the media!
im an avid follower of jim rogers. and the media situation is because he is being invited and has to do it, hell on a side note its just to talk his book but who doesnt really. ive met jim rogers in person and he is as humble and low key as can be for a billionaire having said that him and eduardo saverin are probably the two billionaires who doesnt stick out in singapore if your not familiar with their field.

mummy mantras
Regular
Regular

Post by mummy mantras » Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:07 am

Well, Eduardo Saverin has apparently been making the rounds at exclusive but very low-profile events here in Singapore. Populated by old (family) money... and very big money (I sometimes get juicy gossip from my ex-colleagues in PR and event management :D ). The daughters of the Singapore Tatler set have already been casting their nets in his direction, so I don't think that any lovely ladies with less distinguished 'pedigrees' would stand much of a chance. :wink:

Personally, I'm still hoping that when my pretty daughters grow up they can still net one of Yeo Hiap Seng's great-great-grandsons! :D

Flipside

Post by Flipside » Mon, 30 May 2011 4:03 pm

As an Asian girl myself, i feel that from what you've described, you would not have a problem finding a girlfriend or maybe even that one girl you wanna marry in Singapore.

But please know that though as Asians, we have different features from people from America or Europe, at the end of the day, we are all the same. you will always have shy types, outgoing types, kind and friendly types, slutty types. its the same everywhere but its just how their parents brought them up and to tell you the truth some Asian girls are brought up to be very western minded so its not that Singapore have awesome people but its just different culture thats all and we're a small community therefore making things easier to get to know people and honestly, Asian girls are all not that great. We're just normal people you can find anywhere. girls/women will always be the same wherever you go. hahahaa.. its just whether ur dream girl happens to be asian or not. :) if it is, then thats good for you. if not, its still fine cause as long as you're happy, thats more than you can ask for.

:)

S2GE

Post by S2GE » Sat, 04 Jun 2011 11:47 am

I am curious about this as well. I am a single American moving there in July and find double jointed albino midgets attractive.

I am hoping they go for inflexible guys with a case of mild Hypertrichosis over there! :P :cool:

iamshhh

Post by iamshhh » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 9:49 pm

Dang, gotta love this thread (and the drama)! I am trolling but I have.. to post a response! 8-)

Sorry to my fellow girlfriends in Singapore, but I agree with BillyB, sundaymorningstaple and nakatago. It doesn't matter what color or race you are, there are good and bad people out there. You will fall into the same trap not because there is something wrong with the person you pick, but your choice of selection.

Merry27

Post by Merry27 » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 3:39 pm

@carsten54

Are you still available? Bcoz im interested to get to know u. =p

27 female, deg edu from local uni, working at German firm, single And looking. Only recently, the idea of dating western men has gotten to my head maybe due to some subtle advances from a European colleague at work. And I'm starting to find mixed babies really cute. But aside from that small point , I find European guys to be more open minded , and have more interesting insights and perspectives from the local guys I have dated. I've dated one for 7 years before splitting up and ever since then I think I have dated other locals on off.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 5:19 pm

S2GE wrote:I am curious about this as well. I am a single American moving there in July and find double jointed albino midgets attractive.

I am hoping they go for inflexible guys with a case of mild Hypertrichosis over there! :P :cool:
Bloody Hell! A witty American! This thread really is a goldmine of information ;)

But seriously, the double-jointed albino club only has one midget in it, and he's male.

starman6

Post by starman6 » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:02 pm

OK Clue me. As you read this post no doubt you will know I need an education in meeting women in Singapore.
:o Total lost and about to give up. A little info for you all so you can perhaps give some good advice.
1. Been here 3 years now.
2. Good looking older guy, professional, good income, nice guy all round Im told. 3. Tired of looking for places to go. Ill be up front here, am I not finding the right places ?
:mad: After 3 years of living in Singapore Iv not dated much except the internet. Keep reading forums on so called "Pick up Bars" or nice places to meet attractive professional women. All of which mean different things in Singapore. Lets see. " Just from my experience".
Singapore Chinese, Asian women in General seem to stay home, don't go out much, Never see them in Bars looking for a man and the Bars are full of men. Seems like every bar i go to the men out number the women 20-1 Especially down town where a lot of professional men hang out after work. I get a lot of attention from Hookers who follow me around but not the kind of attention I am looking for. Iv tried night clubs, Clark Quey, and other places , Again seems like every girl I approach is working the bar for money and a quick romp.
So good professional Asian girls stay home. Expat girls complain that Expat men have yellow fever and arn't interested in them, Expat men are a dime a dozen , ( Just go down to Boat Quey after working hours) , tried Club street, and Duxton Hill, great places went dressed to impress, few if any Asian girls , lots of Expat men and women but in general with friends or on dates of there own, a single guy can't just butt in and say " Hey mind if I have a drink with your friends !" " Thats just creepy" . Looked at a lot of Forums for "so called" Pick up places. In my day this meant something else, ( like a nice place to meet an attractive women to get to know and date) In Singapore, What do i read ?. BQ they say its a great place to met single attractive expat and local women. " Rubbish" Stayed for 4 hours one Friday night all I saw was expat men and 2-3 girls with them and that was it. Also recommended was the collection of many bars in Boat Quey . Again. lots of beautiful people, to many guys, some party girls and hookers and mostly far to young for me and in any case you couldn't hold a conversation because the music is to loud and crap to hear anyone. How can anyone get to know anyone in a place like this. So I find myself sitting out side at an Irish pub near the fountain with a Beer watching the hookers once again trying there luck with me. Desperate for a real date in Singapore . Can anyone PLEASE recommend some nice places like wine bars and places to meet nice people and conversation in Singapore. PLEASE>>> Come on Girls , Ill go out with you in a heart beat if I only knew where to find you.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:08 pm

starman6 wrote:OK Clue me. As you read this post no doubt you will know I need an education in meeting women in Singapore.
:o Total lost and about to give up. A little info for you all so you can perhaps give some good advice.
1. Been here 3 years now.
2. Good looking older guy, professional, good income, nice guy all round Im told. 3. Tired of looking for places to go. Ill be up front here, am I not finding the right places ?
:mad: After 3 years of living in Singapore Iv not dated much except the internet. Keep reading forums on so called "Pick up Bars" or nice places to meet attractive professional women. All of which mean different things in Singapore. Lets see. " Just from my experience".
Singapore Chinese, Asian women in General seem to stay home, don't go out much, Never see them in Bars looking for a man and the Bars are full of men. Seems like every bar i go to the men out number the women 20-1 Especially down town where a lot of professional men hang out after work. I get a lot of attention from Hookers who follow me around but not the kind of attention I am looking for. Iv tried night clubs, Clark Quey, and other places , Again seems like every girl I approach is working the bar for money and a quick romp.
So good professional Asian girls stay home. Expat girls complain that Expat men have yellow fever and arn't interested in them, Expat men are a dime a dozen , ( Just go down to Boat Quey after working hours) , tried Club street, and Duxton Hill, great places went dressed to impress, few if any Asian girls , lots of Expat men and women but in general with friends or on dates of there own, a single guy can't just butt in and say " Hey mind if I have a drink with your friends !" " Thats just creepy" . Looked at a lot of Forums for "so called" Pick up places. In my day this meant something else, ( like a nice place to meet an attractive women to get to know and date) In Singapore, What do i read ?. BQ they say its a great place to met single attractive expat and local women. " Rubbish" Stayed for 4 hours one Friday night all I saw was expat men and 2-3 girls with them and that was it. Also recommended was the collection of many bars in Boat Quey . Again. lots of beautiful people, to many guys, some party girls and hookers and mostly far to young for me and in any case you couldn't hold a conversation because the music is to loud and crap to hear anyone. How can anyone get to know anyone in a place like this. So I find myself sitting out side at an Irish pub near the fountain with a Beer watching the hookers once again trying there luck with me. Desperate for a real date in Singapore . Can anyone PLEASE recommend some nice places like wine bars and places to meet nice people and conversation in Singapore. PLEASE>>> Come on Girls , Ill go out with you in a heart beat if I only knew where to find you.
Woah.

Anyway good place to start where you don't have hookers.

FNDC - Friday Night Drinking Club organised by forum regulars: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/forum53.html

WNDC - Wed Night Drinking Club, same thing but with better crowd and offers. http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/forum52.html

Or meetup.com and find people with similar interests so that you can have better group to hang out and of course, better conversation.

starman6

Post by starman6 » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks , I appreciate your kind responce

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:46 pm

starman6 wrote:blah blah blah
FNDC fulfills your expectations. Not a huge lot of people, but new faces every week. It won't take you more than a couple of times going there to at least befriend some girls (locals & expats - all there)

I mean, its usually reasonably quiet (depends) and many girls there are in search of new acquaintances. Nice and decent.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 1:17 pm

starman6 wrote: Can anyone PLEASE recommend some nice places like wine bars and places to meet nice people and conversation in Singapore. PLEASE>>> Come on Girls , Ill go out with you in a heart beat if I only knew where to find you.
In my experience, there is nothing like a bar-pick-up-scene, or going out and picking up a 'nice chick'. Anyone you pick up via those means here is 80+% sure a whore, or temp-whoring (IMHO!).

Here, girls stay home and be good until they 'meet the one' and get married.

You won't meet girls in wine-bars. It's completely introspective and tribal. The locals don't go out to meet strangers.

The only way I've found, to meet better than your average bird, is via social activities. It's like this miraculously opens social doors that nothing else will. Cooking school, SCUBA diving in Malaysia, horse riding, hiking @ McRitchie. Shared social activities = sex-permit.

Take a cake-baking class and see what I mean! Hot buns!

Edit: typos
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 16 Jan 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.