Singapore Expats

Why people are so stingy?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:04 pm

This must go down as perhaps the most banal topic, centred on the most immature proposition that I have ever seen on this forum.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:25 pm

JR8 wrote:This must go down as perhaps the most banal topic, centred on the most immature proposition that I have ever seen on this forum.
Not an immature proposition - trust me .. I was asked to give money once, in a country nearby and when I asked why should I do it - it was either "you must share your wealth" or "you have it and I dont' have it, so you must give it to me so I can have it .. "

Go figure .. :D :D

Yes - of course .. it is a silly thread anyway .. :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:39 pm

Actually, if we go back and read the initial post carefully, you will note that we probably all overlooked one salient fact.....

The OP is jobless. One would have to wonder, looking at the OP's disgruntled attitude, if the OP was actually panhandling without much success. OP already said they weren't busking. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:44 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:This must go down as perhaps the most banal topic, centred on the most immature proposition that I have ever seen on this forum.
Not an immature proposition - trust me .. I was asked to give money once, in a country nearby and when I asked why should I do it - it was either "you must share your wealth" or "you have it and I dont' have it, so you must give it to me so I can have it .. "

Go figure .. :D :D

Yes - of course .. it is a silly thread anyway .. :D

Immature as in it smacks of the sentiments of a child or student living off an allowance from daddy, who thinks there should be no poor people (or sad people, or sad ponies, or poor donkeys, or war, or anger, or hate, or evil, or cruelty etc) in the world. They are too young and naive to get the idea of the evil of organised crime/begging that they advocate and wish everyone would support.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, if we go back and read the initial post carefully, you will note that we probably all overlooked one salient fact.....

The OP is jobless. One would have to wonder, looking at the OP's disgruntled attitude, if the OP was actually panhandling without much success. OP already said they weren't busking. :-|
Nah, they say they give to beggars despite being unemployed and wonder why others do not. It is a kinda childish and self-righteous point rolled into one.

One is left wondering what replies the OP was expecting. Some definitive answer?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:55 pm

JR8 wrote:Immature as in it smacks of the sentiments of a child or student living off an allowance from daddy, who thinks there should be no poor people (or sad people, or sad ponies, or poor donkeys, or war, or anger, or hate, or evil, or cruelty etc) in the world. They are too young and naive to get the idea of the evil of organised crime/begging that they advocate and wish everyone would support.
No pops - the people who asked me for money were almost twice my age :D :D .. and they swore it is normal .. haha

As for the OP - not sure what the objective of this thread was .. other than to vent some anger at those not giving to this individual ?? :D

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 6:25 pm

Wow, online begging..... why didn't i think of that.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 6:49 pm

Ecu... where in heavens name was this place, and why the difficulty in telling beggars to 'go fly'?

EVD... no no no, sarcasm not allow by local. Speak literal fact-check truth only ah! :wink:

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 6:54 pm

I live by the motto: If you feed vermin, they will breed.

Walk the streets of any major western city and you will deluged with street people all pan-handling furiously on every corner and many forced to work in between (location, location, location).

I enjoy not being accosted 10x on the way home and will continue to walk past anyone I see in Singapore with their hand out.

Please don't call me stingy, I'm only doing my civic duty keeping the city free of miscreants by not rewarding their behaviour.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 7:10 pm

Grumpy77 wrote:I live by the motto: If you feed vermin, they will breed.

Walk the streets of any major western city and you will deluged with street people all pan-handling furiously on every corner and many forced to work in between (location, location, location).

I enjoy not being accosted 10x on the way home and will continue to walk past anyone I see in Singapore with their hand out.

Please don't call me stingy, I'm only doing my civic duty keeping the city free of miscreants by not rewarding their behaviour.
I have my own ways of giving, but have little appetite to discuss it as I believe charity is giving of yourself. Thanks or recognition negate that gesture to an extent (in my opinion) as it becomes a two-way transaction.

A much more interesting question for a topic opener might be something like 'When you give to charity do you expect to be thanked, and if so why?'

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 9:02 pm

JR8 wrote: EVD... no no no, sarcasm not allow by local. Speak literal fact-check truth only ah! :wink:
Jrrrrrr8, why local not allowe..ded sarcasticasm? So bad your Singlish... even i no understand. :o

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 9:17 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:
JR8 wrote: EVD... no no no, sarcasm not allow by local. Speak literal fact-check truth only ah! :wink:
Jrrrrrr8, why local not allowe..ded sarcasticasm? So bad your Singlish... even i no understand. :o
Wah how can, I lose face, bring shame what! :)

2487chica

Post by 2487chica » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:34 am

Lol. Wow. So many replies... Hahaha... Interesting...

bruce.lee

Re: Why people are so stingy?

Post by bruce.lee » Tue, 17 May 2011 9:09 pm

normally depends on how the parents teach their children ... then it become the habit :D
2487chica wrote:Ok, if you're jobless like me, I don't expect you to be on the generous side. But come on, why are people so stingy? Seriously. Life's much better if you could spare a little. I know I do...

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Why people are so stingy?

Post by aargon » Tue, 17 May 2011 9:45 pm

bruce.lee wrote:normally depends on how the parents teach their children ... then it become the habit :D
You should probably ask the OP how her parents are teaching her then.

2487chica, no offense, but how old are you? some of the people here may be old enough to be your grandparents, great grandparents even!! :D
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....