Singapore Expats

IS THIS NORMAL - Steep Deposit/Admission Fees 4 Pre-Schools?

Discuss the many options of preschools and which suits your children.
peacetruth

Post by peacetruth » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:38 am

Hey All & especially the MODERATOR

This is a brand new Eaton House at 718 Mountbatten Road (they have 3 other Eaton House schools in the area!).

This particular school is a lot more expensive than others. I have spoken to others and yes they are around $1600 for deposit (which is reasonable) and $7000 term fees and $500 admission/registration (non refundable).

BUT the new EATON HOUSE PRE SCHOOL RESEARCH CENTER is $7000 just for the deposit, its a fact they take one terms fees worth of deposit (refundable)! Then fees are also around $7000 per term AND the worse part is they take $1605 as registration/admission fee (non-refundable). These are facts.

Here is the new number check it out for yourself, 68463322! They have just opened Feb 2011.

When I questioned them they said Eaton House Orchard Road also charges as much. BUt I have not come across any other that is this expensive.

Like I said at start their fascilities are amazing...so they will fill up no doubt and there will also be a waiting list soon...

SO ALL I WANTED TO CHECK WITH YOU ALL IS WHAT YOU THINK - IS THIS NORMAL ANYWHERE ELSE APART FROM THIS EATON HOUSE?

Thx.

peacetruth

Post by peacetruth » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:45 am

her eis the link of eaton hose website that shows in black and white the fees for 718 mountbatten road (new one)

http://www.etonhouse.com.sg/index.php?o ... Itemid=176

the person who sent the earlier link was for 764 mountbatten road...fees are different.

now that this is clear, can we please move forard to discuss the question i have raised -

is this NORMAL anywhere else, any other families paying such high deposits (one terms fees they state, too scared to write in numbers what that means = $7000)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 4:55 pm

Is there a reason you are mad at us here on the board? I wonder as you keep shouting at us (all caps). We aren't your enemy.

I had a look at the website and guess what. It's all above board and legal. AND if you want you send your child/children you will pay the deposit (the deposit is per family, not per child like some other schools) whether or not other schools do it or not. Pretty simple really, you want your kids to go there, pay the deposit, if you don't, don't pay the deposit. Normal is what is normal for that school. There is no normal in Singapore. It's whatever the market will bear. You just arrived here yesterday, correct? You will soon find out.

Additionally, I think you will be finding a lot more schools doing the same thing as this country cuts back on foreign talent. This mean Employment Passes getting canceled and family's having to pack up a leave. If they have kids in school, depending on how far along they are in the school year, it could leave a empty desk for the remainder of a term or two. This is hard on the school if they don't have sufficient notice to fill the seat a the beginning of a semester. They also have to protect their interests.

Same with renting a living space. They will take your check deposit and use it to get somebody else to raise the deposit. Welcome to Singapore. caveat emptor.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 8:47 am

We paid a similar deposit when we started at Eton House in Broadrick back in 2003. It was the same as one semester's fees I believe and every time the fees went up, we had to top up the deposit too :(

Then, a year or two ago, deposits were scrapped for International Schools and we all got a nice fat cheque in the post :) However, I don't think the new CPE (council for private education) included pre-schools in their scrapping of school deposits which must be why they are still charging one for EH Mountbatten. You could talk to them about this and see what they say (they have a website).

You will get the deposit back though when you leave the school - they're not shy about giving it back (not like some landlords can be :wink: ) - unless you mess them about and don't give the right amount of notice or something like that. In that case you might have trouble getting it back or you might not get all of it back.

Schools here are just money-grabbing, there's no doubt about it.

The alternative is that you go local which is cheaper and more and more expats are doing that these days

peacetruth

Post by peacetruth » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:02 pm

thanks bigsis for your feedback ;0)...

and sorry my caps was not intended as a shout at all...i did not realise its interpreted as such...

caps was here just to draw attention like bold...

anyway thanks all.

i did more research...and thinking...

bottom line is - i have seen many more pre-schools today inc other eatons and this new one really is the best and they have spaces for both my children so i guess i am lucky and have paid the deposit and accepted the day light robbery, rip off, enriching the rich, balancing their books, increasing their cashflow, money grabbing educational institues methods of operation LOLOLOLOL - its ok. i am just having a rant as its fun....sometimes :mad:

at the same time i am reassured and delighted that both kids will be attending same school soon and one of the best in the world...

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 6:54 am

peacetruth wrote:and one of the best in the world...
Be.

Careful.

Schools will often try to convince parents of that and lull them into complacency. Make sure you go into any new school with your eyes wide open. No school is perfect, and some parents here is Singapore are a little too inclined to give up the reins because of a school's (self-proclaimed!) reputation.

Just be careful.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:28 am

and one of the best in the world...
Oh dear, you do realise that they're not related to the UK Eton don't you? Sorry if you were under the impression that they were - they're not, I'm afraid they've just pinched the name to make them sound posh.

:?