Singapore Expats

Earthquake and Tsunami in Eastern Japan - Largest since 1900

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 1:36 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:The destruction is horrific.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011 ... l?src=tptw

You can pull the slider in the middle of the pic back and forth.
Looks practically like Hiroshima and Nagasaki after atomic bombs :(
They were well prepared as per world standards but seeing all this it is hard to believe the death toll will be less than 50000. There are already reports stating that like a half of some small city populations went missing (Minami Sanriku, total population 17000, missing 9500).

ttuguy421

Post by ttuguy421 » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 4:05 pm

Wow... Those pictures are very humbling to the power of nature.. I Liked how you could see the before and after and use the sliders.. My heart goes out to all those people and I certainly am glad we do not have to worry about such things in Singapore... That would be the scariest thing (A Tsunami) I believe to try and live through...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 4:13 pm

Some awesome coverage;

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011 ... ef=asia#63

Photograph number 9 in the above is of a local high school in Minamisanriku which has survived surprisingly well.

Warning: Slides contain images some people may find distressing.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 6:24 pm

i bet the death toll would be 20,000 ++
And btw you guys have done it again......

Remember when you all were talking about Johnny Cash's "ring of fire" in the other topic.... now this happens :(

Anyways.... Did you know that Johnny sang that song in Spanish too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfqOJH50SkE

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 8:12 pm

On another note....

http://www.facebook.com/notes/jun-shiom ... 1176733830

* 日本人の良さを再認識

http://twitter.com/VietL/status/46376383592677376

この地震が、きっかけになって、失いかけていた日本人本来の良さが戒間見れた気がする。犯罪はする様子はなく、助け合い、律儀、紳士的。普段日本人は冷たい人が多い…。って個人的に感じてるんだけど、多くの人が今回で「絆」を取り戻しつつあるように見えて、それがなんか感動して、泣けてくる。

Reminded of the goodness of the Japanese people

This earthquake has reminded me of that Japanese goodness that had recently become harder and harder to see. Today I see no crime or looting: I am reminded once again of the good Japanese spirit of helping one another, of propriety, and of gentleness. I had recently begun to regard my modern countrymen as cold people … but this earthquake has revived and given back to all of us the spirit of “kizuna”

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 8:21 pm

Japan has helped alot in the Philippines through development projects through JICA

meanwhile, mediacorp has claimed the spotlight again with this marketing campaign:
"Channel NewsAsia: Massive Tsunami Hits Japan after Massive Quake
A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake shook Japan in the early afternoon today, unleashing a powerful tsunami that wrecked havoc along the streets of coastal towns. Book your spots in the Weekday Evening News Bundle as the channel brings viewers comprehensive coverage reports on the disaster with extended versions of news bulletins tonight.

… Call our sales representatives now!”
Last edited by morenangpinay on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Mon, 14 Mar 2011 9:44 pm

morenangpinay wrote: meanwhile, mediacorp has claimed the spotlight again with this marketing campaign:
Mediacorp and one Malaysian Newspaper (who had some cartoon) have apologised for their insensitivity to this issue! Guess it can't get cheaper than this! :x

The pictures are very grim! Wonder how long it would take to clean up the whole mess! Appreciate the photographers, the rescue team and all who are extending their help. This is the time that we have to dissolve all differences and go forward to help. I did my part by donating this morning.

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 8:15 am

Plavt wrote:
tyianchang wrote:One wonders why, knowing the area to be sitting on the main fault lines within the ring of fire, would Japan even consider building four nuclear power plants along the tsunami prone coast.
Nearly all areas of Japan are subject to earthquakes, power plants are built on the coast to keep them away from residential areas as much as is possible in such a mountainous country. Nuclear power is Japan's is one of Japan's few economic options to produce electricity economically as the country has few mineral resoures. Coal seams are broken and uneconomic to mine.
There'll be no shortage of humanitarian aid but would Japan need help with food and grains ?
Most of Japan's foodstuffs are imported from China and the US so although there will be shortages in the areas most affected probably not.
Seeing that earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis so frequently wreck the Japanese coastal regions, shouldn't they find safer alternatives to replace nuclear power? Plutonium and uranium leaks are potentially too dangerous fro humans to cope with and its effects run into generations, to the extent of creating mutancy in our human forms, perhaps.
I'd rather have more costly or less efficient technology than one that's radioactive for hundreds of years. Radiation not only kill humans, but marine life and the environment.
tyianchang

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 8:26 am

[quote="morenangpinay"]Japan has helped alot in the Philippines through development projects through JICA

meanwhile, mediacorp has claimed the spotlight again with this marketing campaign:
A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake shook Japan in the early afternoon today, unleashing a powerful tsunami that wrecked havoc along the streets of coastal towns. Book your spots in the Weekday Evening News Bundle as the channel brings viewers comprehensive coverage reports on the disaster with extended versions of news bulletins tonight.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 8:33 am

[quote="Mary Hatch Bailey"][quote="morenangpinay"]Japan has helped alot in the Philippines through development projects through JICA

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 8:36 am

The machine has yet to be invented to measure the crassness and insensitivity, not to mention arrogance, in either sentiment.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 9:07 am

Wait... then there is the Malaysian cartoon and the American Pearl Harbour reference....

If you think about it..... Oil (downstream - upstream) - has more accidents than nuclear power.

maybe we should go back to windmills...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 9:32 am

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 9:35 am

ev-disinfection wrote:maybe we should go back to windmills...

with apologies to Tokyo and Sendai...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 9:50 am

Ho, there, foul monster! Cease the knocking at thy craven knees and prepare to do battle! --- Don Quixote