Singapore Expats

Minium wage increase for Pass holders

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Minium wage increase for Pass holders

Post by ksl » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 2:01 pm

From July the incomes will rise for all new pass holders, Government levies will also rise.
http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/ar ... id=4698709

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Minium wage increase for Pass holders

Post by carlsum1986 » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 3:38 pm

ksl wrote:From July the incomes will rise for all new pass holders, Government levies will also rise.
Do they do this often?as in raise the minimum income required for each level of employment passes?

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Minium wage increase for Pass holders

Post by Saint » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 3:46 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:
ksl wrote:From July the incomes will rise for all new pass holders, Government levies will also rise.
Do they do this often?as in raise the minimum income required for each level of employment passes?
First rise since 2001

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 4:30 pm

Yep, it's gonna really put the screws to a lot of companies. The only blessing is a short term one e.g., renews at the moment will be for 24 months before next renewal for existing staff before their salaries must increase. This is going to make S pass holders worth 2450/month expense to the employer. Means you can pay a local 2140/mo and the total cost to the employer will be the same. Plus the tightening of criteria to even qualify gonna put the hurt of a lot of folks trying to come here. Gonna maybe put the screws to a lot of PEP applicants as well with P1 at 8K. PEP gonna follow suit I'd imagine.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 5:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, it's gonna really put the screws to a lot of companies. The only blessing is a short term one e.g., renews at the moment will be for 24 months before next renewal for existing staff before their salaries must increase. This is going to make S pass holders worth 2450/month expense to the employer. Means you can pay a local 2140/mo and the total cost to the employer will be the same. Plus the tightening of criteria to even qualify gonna put the hurt of a lot of folks trying to come here. Gonna maybe put the screws to a lot of PEP applicants as well with P1 at 8K. PEP gonna follow suit I'd imagine.
I didnt get what this meant actually even when I saw it on the news. "e.g., renews at the moment will be for 24 months before next renewal for existing staff before their salaries must increase"

does this mean ep holders like us get one more renewal on our current salary before our salary has to increase?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 5:48 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, it's gonna really put the screws to a lot of companies. The only blessing is a short term one e.g., renews at the moment will be for 24 months before next renewal for existing staff before their salaries must increase. This is going to make S pass holders worth 2450/month expense to the employer. Means you can pay a local 2140/mo and the total cost to the employer will be the same. Plus the tightening of criteria to even qualify gonna put the hurt of a lot of folks trying to come here. Gonna maybe put the screws to a lot of PEP applicants as well with P1 at 8K. PEP gonna follow suit I'd imagine.
I didnt get what this meant actually even when I saw it on the news. "e.g., renews at the moment will be for 24 months before next renewal for existing staff before their salaries must increase"

does this mean ep holders like us get one more renewal on our current salary before our salary has to increase?
Yes, your next renewal will be using the current salary thresholds

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 5:49 pm

Would imagine there will be a lot of people on the border of P1 who will be getting downgraded to P2 on next renewal, might screw a few people if they got their P1s based solely on salary if they don't have the relevant qualifications that P2 requires

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 5:51 pm

Damn good point.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 5:55 pm

Especially those P1 holders with no recognised qualifications!

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 5:57 pm

it all boils down to one thing.......lots of ppl will be switching jobs just to meet the threshold...........

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 5:58 pm

I bet there's going to be an absolute flood of PEP applications before July :wink:

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 6:23 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:it all boils down to one thing.......lots of ppl will be switching jobs just to meet the threshold...........
The problem with that is that when switching jobs people will have to have their new employer apply for a new EP, and if the government is going to start tightening up then a few might find themselves rejected.

Moral of the story - don't quit your existing job until you've got your new EP approved!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 8:51 pm

I think it's a fairly bright move on the part of the gahmen to move companies into hiring more locals, and gives locals more incentive to work at an increased wage.

Yah... companies will bitch at wage inflation... and the reality is, if you are going to keep out cheap foreign labor, wages will rise.

And, what it means is that companies who have been getting rich screwing the labor force will now get a little less rich.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 9:49 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I think it's a fairly bright move on the part of the gahmen to move companies into hiring more locals, and gives locals more incentive to work at an increased wage.

Yah... companies will bitch at wage inflation... and the reality is, if you are going to keep out cheap foreign labor, wages will rise.

And, what it means is that companies who have been getting rich screwing the labor force will now get a little less rich.
One thing I wonder about is whether the locals will take up the jobs that cheap foreign labour leave behind...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:08 pm

July, their benchmark salary will be raised from S$650 to S$850. None of our workers are on so little, so I guess it's only Singapore companies.

Does this include maids? :lol:

Actually i think it will do more harm than good! Businesses will start looking at moving across into Malaysia. Singapore is pricing it's ego a little to high, any good workers business wants to keep, so they will look after them. Though hundreds if not thousands are carried along and it's doubtful that they are productive, these people will be let go. We have people on work passes, but they are paid a pretty good wage in comparison to those figures above, which must be the local hawker cleaners.

We have very heavy transport costs with 6 wagon vehicles roaming Singapore daily and the ERP charges are just horrendous and difficult to work around, plus parking fees. Unfortunately we cannot deliver after midnight, which many do.

The restaurant in the link I guess is just one good example of greed, so I'm all for fixing a minimum wage for everyone. though the government need to be more pro active in training of it's workers training and not expect the businesses to train them, so they can job hop.
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.