Singapore Expats

What is India's biggest export to the US?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 7:57 pm

JR8, I think I've found the perfect match for Anne's convoluted verbal spewings!

okdone seems to be saddled with the same affliction. Uses ten words when two will suffice. I can't begin to count the number of client's, over the years, who would get one of these guy's CV's and return it to me because they wanted employees who spoke modern business English rather than something more akin to a Shakespearean play, thinking that they were impressing, but were, unbeknown to them, depressing, those who read it. Most of my client's, when I was still in that business, wouldn't get past the cover letter. They wonder why it's so hard sometimes to get a job here. Somehow, the message never got through that they have to write for the reader, not for themselves.

Or, as Nak would say,

cool story, bro. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 8:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:JR8, I think I've found the perfect match for Anne!
'Bigoted sectarian and quixotic'. Heavens the chap sounds like a high-flying academic rather than some engineer. I think we have a duty to introduce them!

OKDone can I suggest that with your erudite mastery of the English language that you might enjoy debating with another poster called TyianChang (aka Anne)? She too is highly educated and erudite and currently immersed in the topic of Filial Piety. It would be most interesting to see how you two would approach the topic given your clearly intellectual backgrounds.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... c-300.html

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 9:09 pm

Expat_guy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Expat_guy wrote:Middle class people in india are very hardworking, intelligent and ambitious and there are about 400 million of them who can fillup the world with their english and technical knowledge.
The rest? They are "ambitious" and they are trying to immigrate to Singapore!
Same as what you did couple of decades back!
Being an Indian myself I would agree with SMS that most Indians try to immigrate here. Meaning trying to either save more money than we could in India. But we immigrate only if it makes financial sense otherwise we dont. Recently a few of my Indian colleagues have quit and gone back to take a job in India. They were working here as software developers with like 7+ years experience and salaries in 5k range. In India with 7 yrs exp they get jobs of associate technical architect with absolute salary may be about 30% less than Singapore but with house rents in SG touching 2k, they dont really save that much anymore. In India they are able to save more and they get a more satisfying career. Salaries grow very slowly here and it will be just a matter of time when you will find that not many Indians will ready to come over to Singapore.

In case of SMS, he has come from a "richer" country so its not a case of immigration but he is the true definition of an expat. But you should appreciate the fact that he is not the case of taking the good and leave the bad. He has taken up PR and his children are doing NS, which I think most Indians would shrug away from.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 9:21 pm

JR8 wrote:Heavens the chap sounds like a high-flying academic rather than some engineer.
I beg not to make such comparisons. I am pretty close to the pot and don't know anybody taking like this esp. in natural science. Nothing to do with academia more with swallowing of a broomstick.

okdone

Post by okdone » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 9:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:convoluted verbal spewings!

Uses ten words when two will suffice.
Above words define your obsessive verbal diarrhea. While you take immense pleasure in quibbling other's vocabulary, you seldom take the time to ever look at your personal asinine disgorge.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I can't begin to count the number of client's, over the years, who would get one of these guy's CV's and return it to me....
Oh for God's sake I'm not writing a CV here, nor I'm begging you for a job. I don't understand how are you able to carry on with such a bloated ego, trying to impose your own biased conclusions on character of anyone or everyone. You really think Singapore government has hired you select workforce for them on the basis of your prejudiced speculations?

JR8 wrote:OKDone can I suggest that....you enjoy debating with another poster called TyianChang (aka Anne)?
Well JR8, my point of interest has been the topics related to "Indian" in Singapore since I went through the experience to find few fellow forumers getting a fit of obsession at the onset of the word "Indian". I found such "fellow forumers" obsessively interested in bringing up the topics related in one way or the other to the topic of my interest. Anyways, thanks for your suggestion.
Do the Best, Sustain your performance and Talk Less.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:02 pm

okdone wrote: Well JR8, my point of interest has been the topics related to "Indian" in Singapore since I went through the experience to find few fellow forumers getting a fit of obsession at the onset of the word "Indian". I found such "fellow forumers" obsessively interested in bringing up the topics related in one way or the other to the topic of my interest. Anyways, thanks for your suggestion.
Oh that is a shame. I had thought it might be rather fascinating to see two erudite people discussing the respective merits of Filial Piety as such might be perceived from the viewpoints of the spicy Subcontinent versus the piquant Cathay.

By the way, race is simply not an issue here. You might note that recently there have been several Indians who have joined this forum, and unfortunately there has been something of a pattern of them demanding advice and opinions, and when that has not been what they wished for they have suddenly become abusive. Really it's about style and attitude rather than race so, without knowing your posting history, I expect that you can rest easy on that...
Last edited by JR8 on Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okdone

Post by okdone » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:02 pm

revhappy wrote: Being an Indian myself I would agree with SMS that most Indians try to immigrate here.
I actually would like to disagree here. Yes definitely the people coming from very interiors of India find even New Delhi/Noida/Bangalore etc. attractive and they prefer to settle over there. Same is the case for Singapore. But this is case with few people. I've had so many friends who've just left Singapore once they get a good experience to earn a better salary in India. (Yes expensive house rent is one of the reasons.)

I've had a word to many of Indian colleagues and found, whoever has his assets in his home country wouldn't like to take the citizenship of USA/any other country. They're here to earn, and the country gives them opportunity to do that( and gets 10-20 productive years of their life in return). Its as simple relationship as it is.

Even in my place in India, I've seen huge developments within past 5-10years only. There was a definitely a time when India was geared up in positive direction. India is now trying to come out from the clutches of long-standing endemic corruption.

And with so many developments going on in India, the country hopefully is ready to fight perhaps the final decisive battle against corruption soon.

(India tops the list on stolen wealth in Swiss accounts - http://www.todaysviews.com/?p=1002)
According to the data provided by the Swiss bank, India has more black money than rest of the world combined. India topping the list with almost $1500 Billion black money in swiss banks, followed by Russia $470 Billion, UK $390 Billion, Ukraine $100 Billion and China with $96 Billion.
Do the Best, Sustain your performance and Talk Less.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:15 pm

okdone wrote:
revhappy wrote: Being an Indian myself I would agree with SMS that most Indians try to immigrate here.
I actually would like to disagree here. Yes definitely the people coming from very interiors of India find even New Delhi/Noida/Bangalore etc. attractive and they prefer to settle over there. Same is the case for Singapore. But this is case with few people. I've had so many friends who've just left Singapore once they get a good experience to earn a better salary in India. (Yes expensive house rent is one of the reasons.)

I've had a word to many of Indian colleagues and found, whoever has his assets in his home country wouldn't like to take the citizenship of USA/any other country. They're here to earn, and the country gives them opportunity to do that( and gets 10-20 productive years of their life in return). Its as simple relationship as it is.

Even in my place in India, I've seen huge developments within past 5-10years only. There was a definitely a time when India was geared up in positive direction. India is now trying to come out from the clutches of long-standing endemic corruption.

And with so many developments going on in India, the country hopefully is ready to fight perhaps the final decisive battle against corruption soon.

(India tops the list on stolen wealth in Swiss accounts - http://www.todaysviews.com/?p=1002)
According to the data provided by the Swiss bank, India has more black money than rest of the world combined. India topping the list with almost $1500 Billion black money in swiss banks, followed by Russia $470 Billion, UK $390 Billion, Ukraine $100 Billion and China with $96 Billion.
Thats what I said, if you read my post. Immigrate doesnt mean come here and stay till death. Immigrate means come here for the money and stay here as long as you can make the money.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:31 pm

revhappy wrote:
Expat_guy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: The rest? They are "ambitious" and they are trying to immigrate to Singapore!
Same as what you did couple of decades back!
In case of SMS, he has come from a "richer" country so its not a case of immigration but he is the true definition of an expat.
I didn't quite get that. I believe people "immigrate" or "move" because they believe that the move would benefit them in some way, be it monetarily or in terms of a better life experience or quality of life. So while the specific motivation to move to a new country could be different, I don't think one should judge an individual or people of a race based on their motivation to move. And to me an expat is an expat is an expat. Calling someone a "true" expat or ''false" expat based on country of origin doesn't make sense to me! (No offence to the expat in question here :wink: )
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Expat_guy

Post by Expat_guy » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:36 am

intellectualsmuse wrote:
revhappy wrote:
Expat_guy wrote: Same as what you did couple of decades back!
In case of SMS, he has come from a "richer" country so its not a case of immigration but he is the true definition of an expat.
Not all are rich in a rich country nor all are highly educated in developed country. He has said that he was head hunted to singapore and was little work in US due to oil embargo.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:48 am

intellectualsmuse wrote:And to me an expat is an expat is an expat. Calling someone a "true" expat or ''false" expat based on country of origin doesn't make sense to me! (No offence to the expat in question here :wink: )
100% truthful or not, but you can see some clear tendencies depending on the country of origin. For me true or false expat may translate to the intention of the permanent stay at the moment of departure from the country of origin. If you come here for a 2y contract with no intention to stay (just another contract job) is somehow different if you come because you want to stay here for the rest of your life. Not that all these matters actually.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:24 pm

I always find it useful to go back to Latin roots to understand the meaning of a word. "Ex" means outside and "patria" means country. As long as you live outside your country, you are an expatriate; whether you came with the intention to stay or not, whether you came willingly or not, whether you end up staying long term or not, and no matter what country you came from.

The question only arises if an expat accepts citizenship in another country, because then you are no longer "outside your own country". Would you still be considered an expat?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:32 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I always find it useful to go back to Latin roots to understand the meaning of a word. "Ex" means outside and "patria" means country. As long as you live outside your country, you are an expatriate; whether you came with the intention to stay or not, whether you came willingly or not, whether you end up staying long term or not, and no matter what country you came from.

The question only arises if an expat accepts citizenship in another country, because then you are no longer "outside your own country". Would you still be considered an expat?

That seems like a very black and white approach to the issue. How relevant might the literal translation from a 2000 year old translation be?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:46 pm

It's the same description of Expatriate that I use today as well. I've said it here before, 25% of this island are expats in as much as each and every foreign labourer is also an expatriate working outside his country on a temporary contract. Ironically, it seems to be the educated that take offense at that, and they are the ones who should know the meaning of the word in the first place. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 1:17 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I always find it useful to go back to Latin roots to understand the meaning of a word. "Ex" means outside and "patria" means country. As long as you live outside your country, you are an expatriate; whether you came with the intention to stay or not, whether you came willingly or not, whether you end up staying long term or not, and no matter what country you came from.

Actually I even verified it before posting and IMHO it should not be taken that that literally... I.e. webster says about nativity which may be close to the literal Latin origin, but patria it is not just country, it is fatherland and then the answer is you are always expact regardless citizenship or not. What if you have parents from more than one country and spent some time in both (assuming gender equity and motherland :)? Are you then status-schizophrenic living in one of these countries as you always will be both expact and native? :) So I will rather stick to my "definition".