Singapore Expats

Clothing/UGGs in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sunny-sing

Clothing/UGGs in Singapore?

Post by sunny-sing » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 7:23 pm

Hello :)

I'm currently in the UK and will move to Singapore in three months for my PhD (China's effort and reasons of supporting global anti-terrorism activities - I'm a geek, I know :)).

Having lived in cold Western European countries all my life I've had a look at my wardrobe and realised that I can probably leave most of it here. I doubt I will need all my jumpers or coats...

I don't want to miss my UGGs, though! You either hate or love them - and I do the latter. I would want to take at least two of my pairs with me (one on the plane) but I'm not sure if it's feasible to really wear them in Singapore. Will it not be too hot? Do you see girls (or guys?) wearing them regularly or at least occasionally? They're not too warm for the UK summer but I fear the humidity in Singapore would be no good for the boots or my feet.

As for other clothes, I guess I can leave most of my jeans here as well or are they worn in Singapore, too?

Sorry for asking these rather stupid questions but I really have no idea. The closest I got to Singapore yet was a holiday in Crete (both temperature- and distance-wise) and, uhm, well, I didn't see anyone in UGGs or jeans. Ok, I guess I've just answered my own question. Sigh...

Anyway, if you have any comments, please let me know! Thanks :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Clothing/UGGs in Singapore?

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 8:51 pm

sunny-sing wrote:Hello :)

I'm currently in the UK and will move to Singapore in three months for my PhD (China's effort and reasons of supporting global anti-terrorism activities - I'm a geek, I know :)).

Having lived in cold Western European countries all my life I've had a look at my wardrobe and realised that I can probably leave most of it here. I doubt I will need all my jumpers or coats...

I don't want to miss my UGGs, though! You either hate or love them - and I do the latter. I would want to take at least two of my pairs with me (one on the plane) but I'm not sure if it's feasible to really wear them in Singapore. Will it not be too hot? Do you see girls (or guys?) wearing them regularly or at least occasionally? They're not too warm for the UK summer but I fear the humidity in Singapore would be no good for the boots or my feet.

As for other clothes, I guess I can leave most of my jeans here as well or are they worn in Singapore, too?

Sorry for asking these rather stupid questions but I really have no idea. The closest I got to Singapore yet was a holiday in Crete (both temperature- and distance-wise) and, uhm, well, I didn't see anyone in UGGs or jeans. Ok, I guess I've just answered my own question. Sigh...

Anyway, if you have any comments, please let me know! Thanks :D
Wearing Uggs in Singapore, are you completely nuts!?

It is going to be 32/4c every day with 80% humidity. Wearing those for even 3 hours, you feet are going to fester and rot. Your ankles will supporate, and you will have a rodent infestation in your boots, as they feed on your weeping sores. Ok, layed it on a bit thick there... but really [shaking head] you're gonna die of hypothermia in wool boots.

Jeans are worn by expats who want to show tourists that they live there and so are superior, and so it is important that you bring some. Tourists all wear khaki shorts, khaki jackets with an unnecessary number of pockets and jungle boots, and walk about clutching bottles of water :)

Crete.... jeez my friend, I don't think you have any concept of the weather you're going into. As the weather-guage in Bugis Junction says, 'It's the humidity and not the heat that matters'.

p.s. Bring one set of cold weather clothing. For when you make the journey back home. Turning up at HRW in January in vest and slippers is er, not cool!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:36 pm

JR8 wrote:Tourists all wear khaki shorts, khaki jackets with an unnecessary number of pockets and jungle boots, and walk about clutching bottles of water :)
A surprising number of tourists (mostly backpackers) also arrive in trekking boots - which somehow seem necessary for their idea of adventure tourism.
Most take them off after a few days of intense sweating and buy local slippers instead.

sunny-sing

Post by sunny-sing » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:56 pm

JR8 wrote: Wearing Uggs in Singapore, are you completely nuts!?

It is going to be 32/4c every day with 80% humidity. Wearing those for even 3 hours, you feet are going to fester and rot. Your ankles will supporate, and you will have a rodent infestation in your boots, as they feed on your weeping sores. Ok, layed it on a bit thick there... but really [shaking head] you're gonna die of hypothermia in wool boots.

Jeans are worn by expats who want to show tourists that they live there and so are superior, and so it is important that you bring some. Tourists all wear khaki shorts, khaki jackets with an unnecessary number of pockets and jungle boots, and walk about clutching bottles of water :)
My friend whose brother was working there for a few months just told me that some air-cons would cool down some offices quite much. I could bring at least one pair for my trips back and the eventuality of sitting in a cold office, maybe...

Thanks for telling me about how important jeans are. I really haven't lived in much else in the last years so I'm glad I can take a few more pairs with me then :)

Anything else I should avoid besides trekking shoes and khakis?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:04 pm

Avoid the mistake of coming here without a good supply of foundation garments. If you prefer nice stuff and are larger than a full B or hate underwire or hardshell cups, be warned that to buy good ones (imported) are not necessarily going to be in your size or have a good selection thereof. There is, of course, Marks & Spencer and other boutiques, but again, they size for the average Asian in quantity, so the selection is somewhat limited. Same goes for swimware. Also, buy you jeans there as if you are 1.7m tall or taller, most jeans here will not fit. Also, they are made in the 'peens & china so are cut for Asian bodies, therefore hard to get nice booties inside.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:44 pm

PhD (China's effort and reasons of supporting global anti-terrorism activities - I'm a geek, I know ).

You mean the supply of arms through the African nations :lol: Interesting topic!
You need to be in at the deep end! Singapore is far too comfortable :P

Well seeing as you are a geek, you must speak fluent Mandarin, I'll introduce you to a father of geeks, though i will have to dig his link out. I studied in Beijing language Insitute with him, he's Swedish and has written many books. Back in a few moments :wink:

Niklas his very well connected, let me know if you need an introduction.
affiliated with Johns Hopkins University-SAIS and the Institute for Security and Development Policy.
Niklas Swanstrom Phd is an old friend of mine even though I'm 17 years older, now he's Geeky!
http://www.silkroadstudies.org/new/insi ... nstrom.htm
Last edited by ksl on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 2:46 am

sunny-sing wrote: My friend whose brother was working there for a few months just told me that some air-cons would cool down some offices quite much. I could bring at least one pair for my trips back and the eventuality of sitting in a cold office, maybe...

Thanks for telling me about how important jeans are. I really haven't lived in much else in the last years so I'm glad I can take a few more pairs with me then :)

Anything else I should avoid besides trekking shoes and khakis?
Yeah you could bring a pair for 'just in case', but also be aware that anything with existing sweat or dirt in them like that is going to rot and be ruined very quickly. (Mold grows on my leather belts, wallets and even CDs!)

Yah jeans are vital lah. If you want to take that to the next level, you need to go out wearing a sweater, despite it being 35c. This really conveys that you belong, and are not just passing through lah :)

If you search here (top right) on something like 'what to bring' you will find plenty of other chat about some of the smaller stuff that might not be quite so intuitive...

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 9:54 am

A PhD candidate asking if Uggs are appropriate for the equator... :???: Just goes to show there's nothing common about common sense.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 12:42 pm

Uggs.... we don't have an outlet here, but if they were sold here, many people will buy them, cause it looks cool... plus many locals travel to colder countries, so there would be a market here......

It really depends on which model of Uggs you are talking about, simple boots, shoes, flipflops are fine, (as seen in the link below)

http://www.uggaustralia.com/ProductsLis ... goryID=277

Bring all your jeans here, cause most people would wear them if they were allowed to wear to work.

Oh BTW..... Welcome to Singapore.

sunny-sing

Post by sunny-sing » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 6:22 pm

ksl wrote: Well seeing as you are a geek, you must speak fluent Mandarin, I'll introduce you to a father of geeks, though i will have to dig his link out. I studied in Beijing language Insitute with him, he's Swedish and has written many books. Back in a few moments :wink:

Niklas his very well connected, let me know if you need an introduction.
affiliated with Johns Hopkins University-SAIS and the Institute for Security and Development Policy.
Niklas Swanstrom Phd is an old friend of mine even though I'm 17 years older, now he's Geeky!
http://www.silkroadstudies.org/new/insi ... nstrom.htm
Thanks a lot for your offer! I'm currently quite busy with my work before coming to Singapore in July but might/will get back to you then!

My Mandarin is really not that good yet, unfortunately. I hope to take the HSK 2 exam later this year - and hope that Singapore will offer me plenty of opportunities to increase my language skills :)

JR8 wrote:Yeah you could bring a pair for 'just in case', but also be aware that anything with existing sweat or dirt in them like that is going to rot and be ruined very quickly. (Mold grows on my leather belts, wallets and even CDs!)
Oh, this doesn't sound good. It sounds like a lot of regular cleaning up has to be done at home then?

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:A PhD candidate asking if Uggs are appropriate for the equator... :???: Just goes to show there's nothing common about common sense.
I am sorry for not fulfilling your common sense standards. Considering that they seem to be worn frequently in Central America, that wool not only warms the human body but can also cool it and that I will not spend my whole day (and night) in a hot and humid environment outside, I thought to ask people who should know. Once again, I apologise for my naivety and ignorance.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 6:53 pm

i will be going to the artic to do some research on melting ice cream in extreme weather. i love my bata flip flop so shall i bring it with me? or maybe i should look for gore-tex flip flop? :P :D

the only people who wear boots in singapore are lady boys or girls looking for business. so if you wear boots here, dont be surprise to get a tap on the shoulder and asked "how much". :P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 6:58 pm

durain wrote:i will be going to the artic to do some research on melting ice cream in extreme weather. i love my bata flip flop so shall i bring it with me? or maybe i should look for gore-tex flip flop? :P :D

the only people who wear boots in singapore are lady boys or girls looking for business. so if you wear boots here, dont be surprise to get a tap on the shoulder and asked "how much". :P
Patently not true. I see many women, at Clarke Quay, Orchard, Muhammad Sultan, that wear boots as dress up accompaniments. I have to say, it's pretty sexy to see tight shorts, halter top, and fur lined, calf high boots... makes me want to go over and ask if I can take them off... the boots, that is.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 8:07 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:A PhD candidate asking if Uggs are appropriate for the equator... :???: Just goes to show there's nothing common about common sense.
We British people are well aware of our Countries mistakes, they PhD's normally get top civil service roles, in the design and implementation of how to fill in welfare benefit forms to cause chaos and less claims, it works too by really trying hard with no common sense:roll: Though millions of uneducated people seem to know how to fill these form in and get paid, everyone else tell the truth and get nothing, :shock: :???:

SUNNY_SING:
Actually not many PhD's would come to Singapore for Chinese, the place is a disaster for Mandarin study, it's the wrong place, you should spend your time at the Beijing Language & Culture Institute, were you will be forced to use your Chinese to improve.

Chinese is a second language in Singapore it is a hindrance for those who really want to learn. Trust me I know, that is why 157 Countries Study at Beijing, even NUS Singapore students.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 8:30 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
durain wrote:i will be going to the artic to do some research on melting ice cream in extreme weather. i love my bata flip flop so shall i bring it with me? or maybe i should look for gore-tex flip flop? :P :D

Patently not true. I see many women, at Clarke Quay, Orchard, Muhammad Sultan, that wear boots as dress up accompaniments. I have to say, it's pretty sexy to see tight shorts, halter top, and fur lined, calf high boots... makes me want to go over and ask if I can take them off... the boots, that is.
Now this post made me sit up :P Tight shorts fur boots, and halter top may give me heart problems :oops: But what a way to go :) Though i'm a T-nipple (Tipple) man myself hick....(hiccup) when I've had a few! :oops:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 9:00 pm

sunny-sing wrote:
JR8 wrote:Yeah you could bring a pair for 'just in case', but also be aware that anything with existing sweat or dirt in them like that is going to rot and be ruined very quickly. (Mold grows on my leather belts, wallets and even CDs!)
Oh, this doesn't sound good. It sounds like a lot of regular cleaning up has to be done at home then?
It depends. Some properties have inherent mold problems, other do not. I've been unlucky with both places I've lived.

You can use the search function on 'mold' if you want to learn more, as it seems to be a topic that comes up every few months.