Singapore Expats

I just graduated and I cannot find a job!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Benja

I just graduated and I cannot find a job!

Post by Benja » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 12:26 am

I just graduated from NUS with BA Arts (Pass) in Dec 2010.

I know my degree is not good but my situation is not the worst. I have applied for jobs in 50+ companies, gone for some interviews and have been rejected by 10 over companies.

The positive side is that it has given me time to think what I really want to do. I felt I did not like what I studied, and I will not be able to carry on for long in my field of study. Therefore, I decided to join the home team uniformed groups. To my amazement, I was rejected. As of now, I still have an SCF interview tomorrow; however my hopes are not that high. I think the problem lies with the interviewer as well! They are highly opinionated and just don’t like me!

I regret not participating actively in school activities and I do not have any working experience. I was on a research programme in replacement of my Industrial Attachment which puts me at an disadvantage in the interviews. As a result, my CV is not as good as many other graduates. But my salary expectation is not a lot! My demand is just 2.5K.

Being human, I also go through the cycle of enthusiasm, anticipation, rejection, demoralisation, listlessness etc. I face a lot of stress now. I avoid going out with friends, stop msn-ing or facebook. It’s a mental torture. If you could see attached, that is the list of emails I have sent to requesting for a job interview which I found from newspapers.

Please advice. Thank you.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 9:57 am

What position are you applying for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 10:24 am

Your biggest problem is you have a degree that qualifies you to do absolutely nothing. No readily available skillsets that an employer can use from the get go. You will be needed to be trained in any job you go into and even asking for $2500/mo is a lot of money for some company to pay to train somebody from scratch. You need to look at entry level employment and forget you have a degree, at least in the short term.

Part of your problem is that you have a rather obvious personality disorder, in as much as you apparently walk in to interviews with a very negative attitude. And, thinking that somebody who has never met you doesn't like you? Frankly, that's about the silliest thing I've ever heard. (unless you walk into the interview with unkempt clothes, unwashed body, and spitting on their floors).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:18 am

I think you must face a few facts. First, as you have stated, your degree and activities are average... nothing to make you stand out on the basis of what you have done to date.

Therefore, you must ask yourself: What could I do to make myself more valuable to an employer. And to answer this question, you must really ask yourself what it is you would like to do... I don't mean starting at the top... I mean, what kind of industry? Ships? Manufacturing? Hospitality and hotels? Once you think you know what you might like to do, then start learning about the industry, and each company you interview with. You'll come across as educated and interested. Right now, you are just one of the crowd.

You might also work on acquiring the technical or mechanical skills you might need for the kind of job you want.

And, from the way you posed your questions, I think you are unwilling to accept the fact that you are one hundred percent responsible for everything that happens in your life. When you say "I think the problem lies with the interviewer", it comes through loud and clear that you externalize your problems. Even with a sh*t interviewer, someone gets hired. That it is not you suggests that it is about you... maybe your tendency to blame everyone and everything for your situation comes through loud and clear.

At the very least, I'd do web searches and find some books on how to write a good CV, and how to interview. You might also do a search on 'personal responsibility'. I knew a guy whose CV really sucked. I told him he needed to rewrite it. He said, "Why? I've sent it to 120 companies." I asked him if he got any interviews and he said no but still wouldn't change his CV. So, have someone vet it for you and improve it.

I can tell you that, after having interviewed many people for jobs, it only takes one or two questions for me to determine if the person has an interest in the job, or is only looking for a way to make money, and whether they accept responsibility or attempt to shuffle off their circumstances on someone else.

Good luck.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:42 am

I hate to say it but you come across across as someone with no useful qualifications, no useful experience, and no obvious passion for anything.

It is scarcely a surprise that business-people don't want to hand you bundles of money each month is it.

What you need is for daddy to cut off the maintenance checks and a f$cking kick up the arse!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 2:51 pm

JR8 wrote:I hate to say it but you come across across as someone with no useful qualifications, no useful experience, and no obvious passion for anything.

It is scarcely a surprise that business-people don't want to hand you bundles of money each month is it.

What you need is for daddy to cut off the maintenance checks and a f$cking kick up the arse!
That's a rather aggressive response to a young person who has admitted that his decisions haven't been the best in the past, and is looking for advice. He has a lot of stress over his ability to find work, and your response? Kick him when he's down.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 2:56 pm

My demand is just 2.5K.
You are far off target, you have nothing to offer at all unless you analyse yourself and look at the qualities you can offer. You will be lucky to get $1200 with your negative approach and will have to work your way up. The degree is hopeless for you and proves nothing. Sorry to disappoint you.

The only ex grads I know of, pulling 24/2500 are IT related. Others are maybe much lower 2K mark after graduation and sales & marketing are around 1.5 to 1.8 plus target bonus depending on experience.

I have all the time in the world as I don't work, so if you would like to sit and discuss over a coffee, I can offer you my experience and suggestions, to help you along SE is quite right.

You may have to look at another degree or some alternative methods of improvement. Though don't let it get you down, I myself was just joe average when i left school with nothing, and i never studied until I was in my late 30's, though i was employed, from 18 to 28 by HMS. Keep smiling what you need is direction.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 3:19 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:I hate to say it but you come across across as someone with no useful qualifications, no useful experience, and no obvious passion for anything.

That's a rather aggressive response to a young person who has admitted that his decisions haven't been the best in the past, and is looking for advice. He has a lot of stress over his ability to find work, and your response? Kick him when he's down.

JR8: Not everyone are so lucky to be supported by Daddy in Singapore, remember the majority of families are on very low pay, and cannot even afford the extra tuition needed to keep pace, with the competition here.

I see it also with my own daughters school, it really does annoy me, that there is not equal opportunities here for children, at all.

The schools are really not that effective in their teachings, if they where, parents would not have to pay for extra tuition.

I also believe that poor guidance is responsible for youngsters taking the wrong degrees, especially if both parents are working a 12 hr day 6 days a week, which is normally the case for the lower household income without degrees, which are living off $2500/3000. These kids have no one to turn too for help, not even their parents can do the home work these kids have, so there are some very challenging moments.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 3:40 pm

Frankly, I have to disagree. The feller had the opportunity of going to University. Which means somebody paid his way. He squandered the opportunity by trying to take the "easiest" way through Uni with a liberal arts degree which is actually nothing more than a NS dodge. But you are right, his parents probably slogged damned hard to keep him in school and watched him blow it, just doing enough to get by. He was smart enough to get into uni in the first place so he was damned sure smart enough to do a lot better, had he but tried.

What he really needs is an "Attitude Adjustment"
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 3:54 pm

Uni with a liberal arts degree which is actually nothing more than a NS dodge
Really I wasn't aware of that. Don't they still have to do NS either before or after?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 4:20 pm

Agreed, after recently watching the final season he sounds a lot like Tony Soprano's son!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 5:36 pm

ksl wrote:
Uni with a liberal arts degree which is actually nothing more than a NS dodge
Really I wasn't aware of that. Don't they still have to do NS either before or after?
Yeah, they still have to do it but it gives them 4 years to avoid doing it if they start before going into NS. Just like my son was given a 5 years deferment to finish NAFA before having to do his NS.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 5:50 pm

ksl wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

JR8: Not everyone are so lucky to be supported by Daddy in Singapore, remember the majority of families are on very low pay, and cannot even afford the extra tuition needed to keep pace, with the competition here.

I see it also with my own daughters school, it really does annoy me, that there is not equal opportunities here for children, at all.

The schools are really not that effective in their teachings, if they where, parents would not have to pay for extra tuition.

I also believe that poor guidance is responsible for youngsters taking the wrong degrees, especially if both parents are working a 12 hr day 6 days a week, which is normally the case for the lower household income without degrees, which are living off $2500/3000. These kids have no one to turn too for help, not even their parents can do the home work these kids have, so there are some very challenging moments.
Benja/SE/KSL,

Yes apologies I did stick the boot in unnecessarily hard, but I had thought (at Saturday 4am) that given the standard of English from the OP that they were 'western'/expat.

The OP seems to be in a rut and they need something to snap them out of it. Would something as basic as doing a few months voluntary/charity work be useful? At least it would get the OP out into working society and dealing with other people, and it could be a first step up to boosting self-confidence and self-esteem.

p.s. I left education with little more than an extremely positive attitude.

riconez

Post by riconez » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 9:39 am

I suggest you to find a temp job at least and slowly find a job that fits you.
That will always be a better day out there ! Think positive !

riconez

Post by riconez » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 9:40 am

Another advise is... attend those career fairs and seek help from those experts there.