Singapore Expats

Getting PR, married to a Singaporean spouse

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ATLR

Getting PR, married to a Singaporean spouse

Post by ATLR » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 7:42 am

Hi all, hopefully someone is able to enlighten me with my queries. With the wealth of information on this forum, it's pretty mind boggling, and it get more confusing every minute I go through it. Sorry, maybe I am slow...

See, I am an American still living in the US, Miami. Last April, my wife, who is a Singaporean citizen came over here to join me and we got married. We are planning to move back to Singapore permanently once we got everything sorted out with my situation here. But, after about a year living here, my wife have a problem finding jobs relating to her profession because she doesn't speak Spanish and the work culture here is well, to be frank, pretty non existent, so she have a hard time adapting to life here. And with the great influx of latin american influence in Miami, it is also affecting my profession as a personal trainer.

So she will be moving back to Singapore this coming May permanently, and I will join her in Singapore within the 2 - 3 years. My wife own a HDB flat and we intend to pay off her HDB mortgage when I sell my current place here - but we know that foreigners cannot own a HDB property unless he/she is a PR.

So really, if my name still can't be put in the title deed on the HDB, but I am the one paying off all the mortgage, when I apply for PR, does it put me in a better light? Also, I have a Bachelor in Science - Kinesology. ACE certification, has close to 20+ years of working experience relating to health, fitness and event management, what kind of jobs can I look into in Singapore? Does having a spouse who is a Singaporean and owns her own property in Singapore gives me certain leverage for PR application?

Hope to see some advice. And yes, this is a long post.

Thanks.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Getting PR, married to a Singaporean spouse

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 7:56 am

ATLR wrote: So really, if my name still can't be put in the title deed on the HDB, but I am the one paying off all the mortgage, when I apply for PR, does it put me in a better light?
Yes, I would think so but strange things has happen which has no rhyme and reason to be able to justify

Also, I have a Bachelor in Science - Kinesology. ACE certification, has close to 20+ years of working experience relating to health, fitness and event management, what kind of jobs can I look into in Singapore?

I cannot answer you that. Maybe someone else can help you

Does having a spouse who is a Singaporean and owns her own property in Singapore gives me certain leverage for PR application?

It depends how long ago you have been married. I would be incline to have your marriage registered here in SG. Going by your background, I think you have leverage. If you have time on your side, wait till the election is over

Hope to see some advice. And yes, this is a long post.

Thanks.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!