Singapore Expats

The Real Black History

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

The Real Black History

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 1:05 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-qui ... 30749.html

Growing up, Roots was one of the few American series we watched as a family as we came from Chinese ed background. I was very young, lower elementary grade? , We were all glued to the TV and very moved. And my little brain had a hard time understanding and digesting it. And I would ponder at night. Why are the Blacks/slaves being mistreated? Can't their employers just tell them nicely what needs to be done? Was it naive thinking? Am I still being naive today, at age 40?

Not everyone has the need to search out their ancestry roots but for those who so desire, it is definitely nice to have the resources made available to them. I, for one, would like to take my kids to visit the places (both China and Europe) where their (great, great) great grandparents were born and raised.

"I am of German ancestry and in the last 10 years we have researched our family all the way back to the little town where my great-gran­dfather emmigrated­. And we met all of our cousins still living right there. I have more German relations than American ones and we visit there as often as we can.

This was truly one of the most wonderful things that ever happened to me. I've seen the farm where my family lived for 400 years and our family name on barns built 200 years ago. Knowing exactly where I come from has made a huge difference in the way I see things.

And it makes a huge difference in understand­ing how great was the crime of slavery that cut people off from their ancestry."

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 2:08 pm

I couldn't agree more, I have also relatives in US, though not visited them yet, apparently my father had been twice, before he passed in 95, In US they are living miles from civilisation, owning land and forestry, I or one of our family was requested to live there and take over as they had no children...however no one was really that interested. I guess it takes time to build a bond with distant relatives, but it is very satisfying to search them out.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Real Black History

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 6:55 pm

earthfriendly wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-qui ... 30749.html

Growing up, Roots was one of the few American series we watched as a family as we came from Chinese ed background. I was very young, lower elementary grade? , We were all glued to the TV and very moved. And my little brain had a hard time understanding and digesting it. And I would ponder at night. Why are the Blacks/slaves being mistreated? Can't their employers just tell them nicely what needs to be done? Was it naive thinking? Am I still being naive today, at age 40?

Not everyone has the need to search out their ancestry roots but for those who so desire, it is definitely nice to have the resources made available to them. I, for one, would like to take my kids to visit the places (both China and Europe) where their (great, great) great grandparents were born and raised.

"I am of German ancestry and in the last 10 years we have researched our family all the way back to the little town where my great-gran­dfather emmigrated­. And we met all of our cousins still living right there. I have more German relations than American ones and we visit there as often as we can.

This was truly one of the most wonderful things that ever happened to me. I've seen the farm where my family lived for 400 years and our family name on barns built 200 years ago. Knowing exactly where I come from has made a huge difference in the way I see things.

And it makes a huge difference in understand­ing how great was the crime of slavery that cut people off from their ancestry."

I'm having some difficulty understanding the point that you are trying to convey. You are aware that the slavers were blacks and arabs, and that slavery still goes on to this day in black Africa? It kinda takes 'selling out your own people' to the ultimate level.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:06 pm

I was not commenting nor too aware of slavery situation within Africa. My comment is a direct response to this article only.