Singapore Expats

Can we rent an HDB?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
fercasa83

Can we rent an HDB?

Post by fercasa83 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 5:14 pm

Hi, this is a simple question.

Is it possible for expats to rent an HDB? I've read on several posts that they can only be rented by locals

Cheers!

Search By

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 5:26 pm

C'mon, man...do more research. :(
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

fercasa83

I'e done it...

Post by fercasa83 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 5:37 pm

Hey nak,

I've done it already and my first understanding was that we can do it but then I found several posts mentioning that we can't because it's just for locals and that it is ilegal and it got me confused so it's better to confirm right?

I also found on hdb.gov.sg that we are not eligible but I'm not sure if that is just for renting it directly with them or it's in general...

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:54 pm

The matter is a bit complicated and the information, while all available, spread out over several threads and other sources. It pays to read more, but here in short:

1. HDB rents out flats directly to individual tenants - but you are not eligible (That is what you found on the HDB website)

2. Not all owners are allowed to rent out their flats - but if they are, you can rent it (check with HDB for any particular flat you are interested in, as some owners do it illegally)

3. You cannot buy an HDB - that's probably what you found in other threads (there are ways for foreigners to buy one, but it's quite restricted and not topic of this thread)