Singapore Expats

How and where to buy diamond rings?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PhantomX

Post by PhantomX » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 6:25 pm

Buy retail where the guy has to live by his shop reputation and cant get away with cheating without really hurting himself eg LARRY Jewelry at Paragon.
Its more expensive but at least u have good indication of what the thing is really worth together with genuine GIA certs. Its like sourcing at Sothebys and Christies where you pay both buyers and sellers premium which together can total at least another 70% and at the end still have recourse if they turn out to be fakes. With retail diamonds of course the premium is much lower
X

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:57 pm

Interesting article in the New P yesterday about a Caucasian selling 30k of diamonds for 7k, after the deal was done, he had slipped 3 false diamonds to replace the originals. Better be careful out there! Anyway they have him on video, so its only a matter of time. 5th of April it happened. Those that have purchased off this guy, better take them for evaluation again, he's a smooth talking con artist apparently. Don't be fooled, do the deal at a reputable shop, where the valuation is done and pay the shop for their time is the best way to avoid the swap. the hand is quicker than the eye!

One sure way is if you think the deal is to good to be true, then it is. Don't let greed cloud the judgement

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 11:09 pm

Go to Botswana, start digging and voila ! :P

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Diamond Engagement Rings

Post by JayCee » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 2:51 pm

Wouldn't happen to have a financial interest in the place would you Charles? :lol:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 8:15 pm

PhantomX wrote:Buy retail where the guy has to live by his shop reputation and cant get away with cheating without really hurting himself eg LARRY Jewelry at Paragon.
Its more expensive but at least u have good indication of what the thing is really worth together with genuine GIA certs. Its like sourcing at Sothebys and Christies where you pay both buyers and sellers premium which together can total at least another 70% and at the end still have recourse if they turn out to be fakes. With retail diamonds of course the premium is much lower
I have to disagree with this. I can see little point in going to a store like 'Larry's' apart from for the sake of vanity or laziness.

A diamond is a diamond is a diamond. It does not matter whether it comes from Larry's, Cartier or anywhere else.

Having professional certification is important on more expensive purchases. GIA is not the be all and end all, for example GIA has no classification for Hearts and Arrows cut stones (which makes one the local jewellers (Sookee?) claims to sell GIA certified H&A stones quite amusing really!). Only the AGI can currently certify super-ideal cut stones.

If you want to pay Larry's Paragon Centre rent go ahead... me, I'll take my knowledge, view the certs and images and buy online for half the price thank you very much.