Singapore Expats

inhuman bear bile farms in China and the Great Bear Rescue

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

inhuman bear bile farms in China and the Great Bear Rescue

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 11:49 am

There is an eerie silence as a blonde Englishwoman walks into a room on a farm in China's Guangdong Province. As Jill Robinson's eyes become accustomed to the dim light she realizes she is surrounded by orange-barred cages. Guttural popping sounds begin to come from the cages as she looks to see what is behind the bars. In each is an endangered Asiatic black bear.

As she approaches the cages, Robinson, who is a consultant of an animal welfare organization, is horrified by what she sees. One bear has patches of exposed flesh where skin has peeled away from its paws. Another has scars along the side of its body, two have missing paws, and another has teeth broken from biting its cage.

Then she sees a long, metal pin protruding from the stomach of one bear. This is what she has come here to see for herself. Implanted during a crude operation, this is a tube through which the farmer extracts the bile used in traditional Chinese medicine.

Robinson has heard reports that there are thousands of such bears all over China. But the reality is far worse than she has imagined.

Later, alone in a hotel room, Robinson lies awake for hours, alternately tearful and angry. There can be no justification for something so unconscionably cruel, she thinks to herself. How can it be brought to an end?

For more please visit:
http://www.drmartinwilliams.com/jillbea ... bears.html

horrible pictures of cruelty:
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear.html

I hate those bear bile farmers, their greed for money made them become beast!
Last edited by Eau2011 on Wed, 02 Mar 2011 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 11:59 am

A narrow rubber pipe was embedded under the skin and surgically attached to the gall bladder. The farmer extracted the bile through the end of the rubber pipe which exited the skin at the top of the bear's thigh. Animals Asia has received a number of bears with these "old fashioned" latex catheters and as this technique was phased out in the mid-80's, we believe that these bears must have been caged for approximately 20 years. They phased out these catheters only because they became easily clogged and not for any humane reason.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

These pictures are just too horrible, I guess I'm not allowed to post them in this forum.
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-06.html

This is another sad victim of cruel bile farming. The moon bear was forced to live in pain in the cramped coffin-like metal cage for years. Be kind to animals!
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-12.html

This moon bear is crammed so tightly into this cage that the cage is bulging. The cruelty of some human beings is beyond our comprehension. They must know that the moon bears are suffering. Thus, our only conclusion is that these people are sadistic and enjoy watching the animals suffer.
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-13.html

A rubber pipe was connected to a fluid bag inside a metal box, which was attached to a metal jacket that held the box in place under the bear's abdomen. The bile drained through the rubber pipe into the protected fluid bag and was emptied approximately every 2 weeks by the farmer
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-07.html
Last edited by Eau2011 on Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 1:31 pm

Eau2011 wrote:A narrow rubber pipe was embedded under the skin and surgically attached to the gall bladder. The farmer extracted the bile through the end of the rubber pipe which exited the skin at the top of the bear's thigh. Animals Asia has received a number of bears with these "old fashioned" latex catheters and as this technique was phased out in the mid-80's, we believe that these bears must have been caged for approximately 20 years. They phased out these catheters only because they became easily clogged and not for any humane reason.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

These pictures are just too horrible, I guess I'm not allowed to post them in this forum.
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-06.html

This is another sad victim of cruel bile farming. The moon bear was forced to live in pain in the cramped coffin-like metal cage for years. Be kind to animals!
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-12.html

This moon bear is crammed so tightly into this cage that the cage is bulging. The cruelty of some human beings is beyond our comprehension. They must know that the moon bears are suffering. Thus, our only conclusion is that these people are sadistic and enjoy watching the animals suffer.
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-13.html

A rubber pipe was connected to a fluid bag inside a metal box, which was attached to a metal jacket that held the box in place under the bear's abdomen. The bile drained through the rubber pipe into the protected fluid bag and was emptied approximately every 2 weeks by the farmer
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/bear-bf-07.html
i will like to take those tubes and stick it into those farmers and collect whatever i can get from them and they can then feel what these bears feel

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 2:01 pm

carlsum1986 wrote: i will like to take those tubes and stick it into those farmers and collect whatever i can get from them and they can then feel what these bears feel
I would like to do the same!!! Those will go to hell. :x :x

I was so scared to see how cruel these people are!!

Because the bears suffered so much by the mental and physical torture for years, they wanted to commit suicide by using their paws to kill themselves. The farmers chopped their paws to stop suicide becaue they still want to make money from the biles of living bears. How inhuman these people are!! :x :mad:

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 4:36 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote: i will like to take those tubes and stick it into those farmers and collect whatever i can get from them and they can then feel what these bears feel

Because the bears suffered so much by the mental and physical torture for years, they wanted to commit suicide by using their paws to kill themselves. The farmers chopped their paws to stop suicide becaue they still want to make money from the biles of living bears. How inhuman these people are!! :x :mad:

they dont even deserve a space in hell........

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:08 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:

they dont even deserve a space in hell........
I'm an animal lover, I really feel helpless and very sad about this.

I remember a saying: since I got to know humans, I love animal.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 2:54 am

Unfortunately cruelty to animals is rampant in China, it has never been their culture to love animals, only eat them. Though the government have made several attempts to clamp down, even on eating dogs, it still goes on every where. It will take a life time to change, as people become aware through education.

Though how many are uneducated is the problem, animals are just part of the food chain.

I recall two peasants being executed has they stole rare birds from the zoo in Beijing, in the middle of the night to feast upon them. It is quite shocking what goes on.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 3:02 am

ksl wrote: Unfortunately cruelty to animals is rampant in China, it has never been their culture to love animals, only eat them. Though the government have made several attempts to clamp down, even on eating dogs, it still goes on every where. It will take a life time to change, as people become aware through education.

Though how many are uneducated is the problem, animals are just part of the food chain.

I recall two peasants being executed has they stole rare birds from the zoo in Beijing, in the middle of the night to feast upon them. It is quite shocking what goes on.
Don't even talk about dogs. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have seen some pictures how they treated the dogs, that made me heart broken! :( I have donated to a fundation in Beijinig for animals, that's only thing I can do.

I wish I can rescue all poor animals. :(

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 7:22 am

Some cultures could care less about cruelty to animals or eating them out of existence. I have seen more shark fin being sold right here in this "first world nation" than any place I have ever been including China.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 9:17 am

^^^^
+1

The only thing I'm against is the "normal" method of "Fining" which let's the shark die a slow painful death instead of taking the whole shark and consuming or marketing the rest of the animal as well. It's the animal cruelty I abhor, not the killing of the shark in order to bring the "entire animal" to market. If the fin is a byproduct of the fishing of sharks, fine, but to just fin the animal and throw it back alive into the sea, well, they should cut off the legs of the fishermen, who practice this barbaric act, and throw 'em out in the desert & let 'em walk home......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:14 am

+1

Yeah and the sheer bloody pointlessness of eating it.

Ego vs ecosystem.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:38 pm

Calmday wrote:Some cultures could care less about cruelty to animals or eating them out of existence. I have seen more shark fin being sold right here in this "first world nation" than any place I have ever been including China.
Unfortunately shark fin is also consumed a lot in China, especially southern China, Hongkong. :-|

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^^^
+1

The only thing I'm against is the "normal" method of "Fining" which let's the shark die a slow painful death instead of taking the whole shark and consuming or marketing the rest of the animal as well. It's the animal cruelty I abhor, not the killing of the shark in order to bring the "entire animal" to market. If the fin is a byproduct of the fishing of sharks, fine, but to just fin the animal and throw it back alive into the sea, well, they should cut off the legs of the fishermen, who practice this barbaric act, and throw 'em out in the desert & let 'em walk home......
Pray God that one day this would happen to them :-|

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 1:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^^^
+1

I have a problem with that as well as fishing THE apex predator to about 10% of historical populations. Sharks don’t reproduce that fast and they are slow growers. Taking too many will cause a lot of trouble for an already troubled ecosystem.
I have absolutely no problem with taking animals for sustenance but the ocean does not contain limitless supply of whatever people want to take.

Amy Corrigan

Bear bile farming and other animal welfare issues

Post by Amy Corrigan » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 4:45 pm

Thank you everyone for raising awareness about these important animal welfare issues.

I am writing on behalf of ACRES- a Singapore-based animal protection charity, founded by Singaporeans in 2001: www.acres.org.sg

You may be interested to know that Singapore has actually been named as one of the major importers of bear bile and bear bile medicines, even though any trading or possession of any bear products is illegal in Singapore.

ACRES has been working on the bear bile farming issue for 10 years now, both raising awareness on the cruelty of bear farming and tackling the illegal trading of bear bile medicines here in Singapore, in an effort to wipe out the bear bile trade here which will help towards the bigger goal of putting an end to bear farming.

With the support of WSPA (World Society for the Protection of Animals), we have conducted undercover investigations which have revealed a significant illegal trade in bear bile medicines in Singapore, and we've worked with the authorities to make sure that those caught trading in bear products are brought to task. We are happy to note that our undercover investigations have revealed an apparent drop in the number of TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) shops illegally selling bear bile medicines here in Singapore between 2001 and 2006, since we began our awareness and undercover work on the issue. However, there is still a long way to go and and we are working towards the day when the illegal trade in bear bile medicines is a thing of the past in Singapore.

You can read more about our efforts to tackle the trade in bear parts and end bear farming here:
http://www.acres.org.sg/wildlifecrime/bear.html

We also work alongside the TCM industry in our efforts to wipe out the trade in bear products in Singapore, and we have a joint labelling scheme by which TCM shops and companies which pledge to never sell any medicines made from bear, tiger and rhino parts are given a special label to place in their window to show they are "endangered species-friendly". This scheme is supported by the Animals Asia Foundation.
You can read more about the labelling scheme here: http://www.acres.org.sg/campaigns/curre ... oftcm.html

How can you help?

You can help to end bear farming by reporting any trading of any bear bile medicines (or any bear products) in Singapore, including online trading, to the ACRES Wildlife Crime Hotline at 97837782.

You can also help by supporting TCM shops that display the endangered species-friendly TCM label and asking your local TCM shop to sign up to the endangered species-friendly labelling scheme.
You can see a list of shops who have signed up to the scheme here:
http://www.acres.org.sg/campaigns/curre ... SCHEME.pdf

You may be interested to read about our efforts to protect sharks too: http://www.acres.org.sg/campaigns/curre ... nsdie.html

If you have any questions about these or any other animal welfare issues do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Thank you for giving the animals a voice and speaking up on their behalf!