Singapore Expats

How do you look at china and future of china

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 5:42 pm

JR8 wrote:
Manthink wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:About as clear as mud.
Clarity cannot be achieved when the mixture is constantly being disturbed.
Give it time to settle.
What on earth are you talking about? There are two Chinese people here, you and Eau.

Do you speak in banal riddles to make up for failings elsewhere?
JR, sorry I didn't get you...please explain. :???:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 5:55 pm

JR8 wrote:
Manthink wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:About as clear as mud.
Clarity cannot be achieved when the mixture is constantly being disturbed.
Give it time to settle.
What on earth are you talking about? There are two Chinese people here, you and Eau.

Actually there are four or five, but at least one and maybe all three are watching from the sidelines at the moment. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 5:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Manthink wrote: Clarity cannot be achieved when the mixture is constantly being disturbed.
Give it time to settle.

Actually there are four or five, but at least one and maybe all three are watching from the sidelines at the moment. :wink:
:shock: :shock: watching.... :-#

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Manthink wrote: Clarity cannot be achieved when the mixture is constantly being disturbed.
Give it time to settle.

I meant two people born in China who are participating in the topic. It seems to be something between them. So all this waffle about 'disturbed mixtures' (and lord knows what other frippery) simply sounds like obfuscation to me.

But maybe it is me 8-)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually there are four or five, but at least one and maybe all three are watching from the sidelines at the moment. :wink:
Are you counting me? I'm Chinese but not Chinese, if you know what I mean...

Anyway I'm trying to participate in this excellent discussion but each time I log onto this thread there are about 2-3 pages of reading to catch up on, and by the time I'm done it's time to go... like now.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:17 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually there are four or five, but at least one and maybe all three are watching from the sidelines at the moment. :wink:

Anyway I'm trying to participate in this excellent discussion but each time I log onto this thread there are about 2-3 pages of reading to catch up on, and by the time I'm done it's time to go... like now.
:console: :girl: :mrgreen:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:17 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Actually there are four or five, but at least one and maybe all three are watching from the sidelines at the moment. :wink:

That's the best 'laugh out loud' moment I've had all week. Thanks for that!! :lol:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:21 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:

a shame... you might be a seasoned 'voice of reason'
[pinch myself :wink: :) ]

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:30 pm

JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Actually there are four or five, but at least one and maybe all three are watching from the sidelines at the moment. :wink:

That's the best 'laugh out loud' moment I've had all week. Thanks for that!! :lol:
:cool:

The question is how SMS can tell they are Chinese, I mean those who watched the sidelines, through ID or IP addresses?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:44 pm

There should be a differentiator as in:
Malay vs Malaysian

I don't think looking simply Chinese is enough to categorise oneself as such, or suggest a particular affinity or inside knowledge.

p.s. i.e. I probably know more about Somalia that 98% of the Somali kids who ghetto the top end of Edgeware Road in London.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 7:19 pm

JR8 wrote:There should be a differentiator as in:
Malay vs Malaysian

I don't think looking simply Chinese is enough to categorise oneself as such, or suggest a particular affinity or inside knowledge.

p.s. i.e. I probably know more about Somalia that 98% of the Somali kids who ghetto the top end of Edgeware Road in London.
Malay is local, Malaysian can be local or other ethnic groups, I guess?

Chinese is just a race, there are American Chinese, Australian Chinese, Singaporean Chinese, Malaysian Chinese, Mauritian Chinese (Sino-Mauritian), Indonesian Chinese, Seychellian Chinese, Vietnamese Chinese, Thai Chinese etc. etc. I just name a few.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855617.html

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 8:14 pm

Vaucluse wrote:It looks like Auntie Changster is losing it to a great degree now . . . not even a semblance of discussion coming from her propaganda-fingers busily itching to recite passages from the little red book . . . and no more references to pussy either. :?
See you can't stop your abuse and distortion of my facts. I say Yes, I support China's great thinking at planning ahead with its one child policy at a time when overpopulation and shortages would bring starvation to the whole country. So there.
If you have other povs, explain instead of attack. If you don't stop, then you should pack up for Libya.
I never recite and if I do, well, you wouldn't know any difference. Why can't you just say you don't know much about China except through your own propaganda?
tyianchang

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Why do Chinese rich people lose sense of safety?

Post by tyianchang » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 8:42 pm

[quote="Eau2011"]For Auntie Anne, this one is from People's daily online, if you like to read the news from mainland:

http://www.peopleforum.cn/redirect.php?

Now, you seem to be getting familiar with me. Thanks, eau, I do see more of the Chinese in you coming out.
I don't read news from China nowadays; l used to suscribe to China Today for I like looking at pictures for evidence. In fact, when I went to Beijing, I visited their office, and they took me out for lunch. They were lovely people, and ever so helpful.
Regarding the rich-poor divide. I read about enormously wealthy people with pics from The Times. There's an ordinary Chinese woman in Wenzhou who started a factory making buttons. The Times journalists interviewed her about her worry on the recession in Europe. She laughed and said, 'I can hardly cope with the demands from the Chinse market."
Also heard from French guy working in China about the numbers of Ferraris, Lambourginis, Mercs and Bentleys zipping about his local streets.
I can believe that as I'd seen with my own eyes how my Chinese educated friend grew from being a phamacist/engineer couple to being mutlmillionaire in two decades, esp after they'd been to Canton.
They say if you walk down the street in Canton, there're factories all along both sides and at the end of the street, there's a dining table.
There're all kinds of tax dodgers and corruptive practices but that doesn't mean that all rich people in China made money through corruption. About 30% perhaps. And there's corruption here in the UK among govt ministers too. Some are caught red-handed and have to pay back or forced to resign. nd there're big time fraud investment funds executives who ra off with people'e pensions too. Such crooks are everywhere but the main point is they should be caught and made to pay back.
Yes, I've read about a few cases of high profile corruption but now the Chinese govt's easing the punishment for thieving crimes.
I would say, there's an ongoing improvement in the daily lives of people China.
tyianchang

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 8:45 pm

And with that, only one more left to weigh in here. And WIMH, I know what you mean, I'm just using ethnicity for simplicity's sake.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 8:48 pm

tyianchang wrote: Why can't you just say you don't know much about China except through your own propaganda?
Ha, says the person whose depth of knowledge is having been there on holiday twice :lol: :P