Singapore Expats

How to Solve Conflicts Between Countries AND Global Warming

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 2:09 am

nakatago wrote: No....it's just really long and I don't feel like reading it. Reading about a nuclear war is much more engaging.

Your article does not contribute nor take away from my understanding of the world because I did not read it.
Well we'll have to disagree on that I think.

I find reading articles by two of the most decorated physicists on earth (both legendary figures in their 80s/90s) regarding how Global Warming is a colossal scam a lot more interesting than a quoted, and requoted, and requoted piece regarding how a nuclear war might change the weather.

I prefer to go to the source, rather than the politicians.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 8:51 am

JR8 wrote:I prefer to go to the source, rather than the politicians.
I'd rather see the scientific, empirical evidence than go to opinion pieces--decorated authors or not. It's like listening to leeky; he may be a brilliant man but he's still fallible (history proves that). I'd rather dissect and analyze his views than merely agreeing or disagreeing with him wholesale.

If you hate politicians so much, why don't you just PRE-EMPTIVELY CENSORED BY THE THOUGHT POLICE

But seriously, my views are way more complex that just "anthropomorphic global warming" or "carbon footprints." It's beyond ethanol producing crops, promoting canvass shopping bags or green vehicles.

People like one-size fits all solutions. They like pithy slogans and new jargon to throw around. They like badges and number races. People forget the big picture.

My views on the environment are very much similar to my views on religion--I don't force things to fit into simplified views of black or white if they don't fit. I won't go to one side based on a few--or several--talking points alone, given that these issues are more complex and more encompassing than what the debate shows.

I have a brain and an accompanying intellectual capacity to go with it. I have free will and independent thought. I like using them and will continue to do so. Sometimes, my views would align with the popular opinion but that doesn't mean I drink the kool-aid. Sometimes, they'd go against the flow but that doesn't mean I'm a heretic. They are just what they are.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 4:38 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:I prefer to go to the source, rather than the politicians.
I'd rather see the scientific, empirical evidence than go to opinion pieces--decorated authors or not. It's like listening to leeky; he may be a brilliant man but he's still fallible (history proves that). I'd rather dissect and analyze his views than merely agreeing or disagreeing with him wholesale.

TLDR! Only joking ;)

Well I can understand that empirical evidence is perhaps more persuasive, but you aren't going to get any if you are modeling a projection decades into the future. Empirical data? Temperatures are supposedly 0.5c higher than in the 1930s, and have not increased since 1995.

Oh and the nuclear article was modelled as well for that matter. I'm surprised you found it so engaging given what you say. The trouble with AGW is that the dataset is so vast that we need scientists to interpret it for us. We saw some of their true thoughts revealed in the Climategate papers lol. Seriously though that is why the two letters I linked are (IMHO) important. The authors are no longer climbing the academic greasy pole, because they occupy the very top of it. I agree with you that that does not mean that you take on board everything that they say, but I think it pays to look closely at what they are saying.

If you hate politicians so much, why don't you just PRE-EMPTIVELY CENSORED BY THE THOUGHT POLICE

But seriously, my views are way more complex that just "anthropomorphic global warming" or "carbon footprints." It's beyond ethanol producing crops, promoting canvass shopping bags or green vehicles.

People like one-size fits all solutions. They like pithy slogans and new jargon to throw around. They like badges and number races. People forget the big picture.

That is what politicians use to 'sell' scientific concepts to the people. It's about average intelligence and attention span I imagine.

My views on the environment are very much similar to my views on religion--I don't force things to fit into simplified views of black or white if they don't fit. I won't go to one side based on a few--or several--talking points alone, given that these issues are more complex and more encompassing than what the debate shows.

I have a brain and an accompanying intellectual capacity to go with it. I have free will and independent thought. I like using them and will continue to do so. Sometimes, my views would align with the popular opinion but that doesn't mean I drink the kool-aid. Sometimes, they'd go against the flow but that doesn't mean I'm a heretic. They are just what they are.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 4:58 pm

Engaging in the sense that why I read comic books. I read it, I get a chuckle and I trollbait you.

I say here that I like analyzing stuff that are "big deal significant" but I also go here for amusement and get my fix of whimsical things. So, just imagine my disappointment when I see the other threads get derailed by household furniture.

BTW, me suggesting we cause a nuclear winter to counteract global warming was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion for readers out there who miss the sarcasm.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 5:48 pm

nakatago wrote:Engaging in the sense that why I read comic books. I read it, I get a chuckle and I trollbait you.

I say here that I like analyzing stuff that are "big deal significant" but I also go here for amusement and get my fix of whimsical things. So, just imagine my disappointment when I see the other threads get derailed by household furniture.

BTW, me suggesting we cause a nuclear winter to counteract global warming was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion for readers out there who miss the sarcasm.

Ah-so! :)
re: para 2, hahaha :lol:
re: para 3, yes I know I'm gullible but even I got that one.

TTFN

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 6:21 pm

JR8 wrote:re: para 3, yes I know I'm gullible but even I got that one.
that was for the others who may have already lost track of what was going on.

oh well; it was fun while it lasted. let's go to the other threads! :twisted:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 6:41 pm

nakatago wrote:

Bwahahaha.... saddle up! :lol:

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 9:52 am

nakatago wrote:

Totally wicked! Qualifies as Spam <intelligently> :P
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:16 am

See guys? I'm not the only one. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:See guys? I'm not the only one. :-|
What?!? Take note of the time stamps!

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:26 am

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]See guys? I'm not the only one. :-|[/quote

SMS, as moderator, you should weed out such posts, not join in with a sense of camaradrie :P

+1 N, -1 SMS :twisted:
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:33 am

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:50 am

:???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:05 pm

:lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:26 pm

Damn the petards! ](*,)