Singapore Expats

wat I should ask for?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
returner

wat I should ask for?

Post by returner » Sun, 09 Jan 2011 6:51 am

Hi.

I'm considering a move to Singapore for a job offer, but I need to leave my family behind in Australia :-(
I'll need to cover about A$11k for mortgage and family expenses back home in Syd, but I also need to get a cheap one bedroom Serviced Apartment in Singapore as well as negotiate flights back home to Syd every weekend (yea I know, but I need to see my kids!)...on top of that cover living costs in Singapore for the mon-fri existence.
Could anyone give me an idea of where you'd recommend a good, clean one bedroom serviced apartment thats cheap because the cost will come out of my own pocket (this is for a local role, and not an expat package) anywhere on the east coast, and how much I should budget for my Singapore living costs

thanks so much

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 09 Jan 2011 9:29 am

I don't think the words cheap, Serviced Apartment are generally used in the same sentence here! I stayed in one when I first arrived and it was $5k per month. Although that was the business district so I cannot speak for the East Coast. I think you'd be better off renting a room in a shared condo which can be anywhere between $700 - 1500 PM, or look for a cheap hotel and see if they can do you a long-term rate.

I'm presuming the figures you are quoting for your existing commitments are PM (11k AUD = 14k SGD). If thats the case and budgeting for flights, apportioning tax and assuming you are a family man who wont be out on the beer all the time, I would think a figure around 25k +/- 2k each way SGD PM should cover everything. Although that depends on the flight prices you get and being honest, the remainder would give you a living in SG although not a particularly expendable one.

BTW - that's one hell of a local package if you can get it!!

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 8:10 am

Just a thought... Have you considered the taxes? Are you liable for Australia tax, based on your travel plans?

returner

Post by returner » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:50 am

good point, thats something I need to investigate. Currently I assume I'd be liable for Singapore tax as its earned there in S$, but I'm not sure what I'd be liable for when transferring money from Singapore to our Australian bank account - have you any advice/knowledge of what the situation would be?
thanks, PH

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Re: wat I should ask for?

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:44 pm

returner wrote:Hi.

I'm considering a move to Singapore for a job offer, but I need to leave my family behind in Australia :-(
I'll need to cover about A$11k for mortgage and family expenses back home in Syd, but I also need to get a cheap one bedroom Serviced Apartment in Singapore as well as negotiate flights back home to Syd every weekend (yea I know, but I need to see my kids!)...on top of that cover living costs in Singapore for the mon-fri existence.
Could anyone give me an idea of where you'd recommend a good, clean one bedroom serviced apartment thats cheap because the cost will come out of my own pocket (this is for a local role, and not an expat package) anywhere on the east coast, and how much I should budget for my Singapore living costs

thanks so much
I've got a consultant in staying in the cheapest serviced apartment I could find, think its s$3300, Institution Hill on River Valley.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:00 am

Sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research on this. You must be damn good at your job for your employer to think this is financially viable. The flights to Sydney are not cheap, I may be wrong but they must be around S$1,000 a pop. A hotel may be a cheaper option than a Serviced Apartment unless you don't mind sharing a condo with someone else.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:10 am

snowqueen wrote:Sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research on this. You must be damn good at your job for your employer to think this is financially viable. The flights to Sydney are not cheap, I may be wrong but they must be around S$1,000 a pop. A hotel may be a cheaper option than a Serviced Apartment unless you don't mind sharing a condo with someone else.
I am figuring doing a 8hr flight twice a weekend every weekend would be quite tiring as well, regardless of the financial cost.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:23 am

Barnsley wrote:
snowqueen wrote:Sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research on this. You must be damn good at your job for your employer to think this is financially viable. The flights to Sydney are not cheap, I may be wrong but they must be around S$1,000 a pop. A hotel may be a cheaper option than a Serviced Apartment unless you don't mind sharing a condo with someone else.
I am figuring doing a 8hr flight twice a weekend every weekend would be quite tiring as well, regardless of the financial cost.
And it's not only the flight... taxi to the airport, check in, clear immigration, then gate security check... wait around for plane to load... then reverse the process on the other end... add 2 to 4 hours to flight time.

returner

Re: wat I should ask for?

Post by returner » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 9:52 am

[quote="curiousgeorge"][quote="returner"]Hi.

thanks so much[/quote]

I've got a consultant in staying in the cheapest serviced apartment I could find, think its s$3300, Institution Hill on River Valley.[/quote]

that sounds a good deal...would you have a contact number I could phone? (many thanks)