Singapore Expats

How do you look at china and future of china

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 3:50 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
ksl wrote:
66881 people follow him, at the same time, he also follow 7516 people.
This is called network building, celebrities have more or less a following already, so they have no need to build networks, though their marketing people do expand their fan base on twitter. Many celebrities would be too busy or too full of themselves to even consider twitter.
Paul, I guess he has a team who helps him with connecting people.

Do you think Obama did the job himself on internet during the election? :mrgreen:
The answer to that one is easy. He hasn't been able to do any for himself since he was elected either........
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 5:06 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
ksl wrote:
This is called network building, celebrities have more or less a following already, so they have no need to build networks, though their marketing people do expand their fan base on twitter. Many celebrities would be too busy or too full of themselves to even consider twitter.

Do you think Obama did the job himself on internet during the election? :mrgreen:
I was watching Obama the other night giving a speech about Libya, and it struck me what a poor communicator he is. He has to look down at notes for every sentence and so what he was saying was unnaturally stilited and parsed into chunks. It seemed really awkward.
Refer exhibit #1 :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe_nJRpaNl4

Now, if you want to see oratory skills have a look at this. This is Daniel Hannan MEP (Member of the European Parliament) brutally and yet eloquently tearing former UK prime-minister Gordon Brown a new one! Enjoy!
Refer exhibit #2 :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lW6Y4tBXs

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 6:15 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
ksl wrote:

Maybe, I hope one day i can get the confirm answer from twitter by himselfe, but the several times that he answer me in twitter seems like himself.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 6:24 pm

JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
ksl wrote:This is called network building, celebrities have more or less a following already, so they have no need to build networks, though their marketing people do expand their fan base on twitter. Many celebrities would be too busy or too full of themselves to even consider twitter.

I was watching Obama the other night giving a speech about Libya, and it struck me what a poor communicator he is. He has to look down at notes for every sentence and so what he was saying was unnaturally stilited and parsed into chunks. It seemed really awkward.

Now, if you want to see oratory skills have a look at this. This is Daniel Hannan MEP (Member of the European Parliament) brutally and yet eloquently tearing former UK prime-minister Gordon Brown a new one! Enjoy!
Thanks for your sharing, the damiel hannan 's speech is really awesome.
If you go to CCTV, you even have very little chance to hear the chinese leader to speak. In most case, the voice is replaced by the TV broadcaster.

http://www.cntv.cn/index.shtml

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 6:37 pm

JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
ksl wrote:This is called network building, celebrities have more or less a following already, so they have no need to build networks, though their marketing people do expand their fan base on twitter. Many celebrities would be too busy or too full of themselves to even consider twitter.

I found a speech that Hannan also keep looking at his paper, hehe,
yet, i also see some Obama speech that he never lookat the paper ,hehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdrnyZu ... re=related

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 6:50 pm

paulzheng wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote: Paul, I guess he has a team who helps him with connecting people.

Thanks for your sharing, the damiel hannan 's speech is really awesome.
If you go to CCTV, you even have very little chance to hear the chinese leader to speak. In most case, the voice is replaced by the TV broadcaster.

http://www.cntv.cn/index.shtml
Quite something isn't it!? He really sticks it to him! :) this was back when everyone was utterly sick and tired of Brown and just wanted him out, so that speech really hit a chord with people, plus we are not used to hearing politicians speak with such eloquence so people were a bit 'holy cow, where did that come from!?'. Still though you see Brown sitting there taking notes, grinning ear to ear.... jeez, that speech must have made him die a little I think.

To me it is powerful on two levels. The detailed content, the points well made, and the totality of it as a complete (as in 'whole') 3 minute hatchet job on Brown's character.

I went to the CCTV link, but pardon my ignorance I don't know which if any links to follow :) It seems strange that you don't get to hear your leaders voice, though that said in the 'west' we do, and we are usuallly sick and tired of what we hear!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 7:16 pm

paulzheng wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote: Paul, I guess he has a team who helps him with connecting people.

I found a speech that Hannan also keep looking at his paper, hehe,
yet, i also see some Obama speech that he never lookat the paper ,hehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdrnyZu ... re=related

Yes fair point. I haven't seen that before. Though he does seem to be speaking before an empty chamber so I suppose presentation mattered less. Once again the argument he puts across though is poetically done.

Obama is said to rely on auto-cue. That is why you get jokes like this...
and

Of more concern, is that he even during his Presidential acceptance speech auto-cue is at hand. The amusing follow up being within a week of that he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize !?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 7:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6gM7XOLE5s&NR=1

Take this [thwack! :)]

He basicly summarises by saying 'if you think this European parliament has democratic support [i.e. inferring that it doesn't], then put it to a popular vote [which they will never do, as they know how hated they are]. Then he finishes off with a bit of latin.

and again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2-Nv9Awgak

William Hague (current Foreign Secretary) is also a fantastic speaker. This is an example from when the Tories were in opposition, again it is Gordon Brown getting it directly in the neck. You perhaps need to be quite attuned to UK politics to get the subtleties of the humour... but the delivery and style are great even if you don't get the killer nuances :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Cj1b-rp1E

I mean he is a class speaker...
:)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: How do you look at china and future of china

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 8:19 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
tyianchang wrote: Nah, your imperatives don't go down well with me. You do have an ulterior motive, that's why it's not an open discussion. I'll leave you to smear and garner the support of those who trust your motives.
:lol: :lol:
Motive???? If someone does not agree with you, does not agree with CCP, then he/she must have an ulterior motive?? or you branded him/her anything (bully, aggressive New Yorker etc.). I guess YOU have an ulterior background.
He/she is a bit special . . . disagree and he calls you names and says how the other person can't hold a discussion . . . piss-weak attitude, but quite typical for mainlanders defending their country's barbaric actions

'nuff said Image

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:49 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
He/she is a bit special . . . disagree and he calls you names and says how the other person can't hold a discussion . . . piss-weak attitude, but quite typical for mainlanders defending their country's barbaric actions
Highly unlikely for there to be a hermaphrodite around though I don't know about you. And wow, so many allegations as usual. I just find your TOV so unpleasant; perhaps you can pitch it right for a proper discussion. Anyway, since you bother to moan about god knows what... err??? I think you're losing that sparkle but you can count on me not to befuddle your once brilliant wit. It's nothing.
tyianchang

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 1:08 am

tyianchang wrote: perhaps you can pitch it right for a proper discussion. .

Anne, when are you going to have a good look at your own attitude? You accuse other people of not being able to hold a civil discussion yet the minute somebody disagrees with you simply retort by making accusations of bullying! A debate means different people have different points of you which may or not be agreed with by various other people.
From what I and many others have seen you have only one point YOUR OWN! I am not going to go into detail but some are seemingly worried by your presence. Perhaps you would like to explain why you persistently support the policies of a government of a country you claim to have never have lived in?
Last edited by Plavt on Sat, 26 Feb 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 2:08 am

Vaucluse wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
tyianchang wrote: Nah, your imperatives don't go down well with me. You do have an ulterior motive, that's why it's not an open discussion. I'll leave you to smear and garner the support of those who trust your motives.
:lol: :lol:
Motive???? If someone does not agree with you, does not agree with CCP, then he/she must have an ulterior motive?? or you branded him/her anything (bully, aggressive New Yorker etc.). I guess YOU have an ulterior background.
Never seen quite so much or consistent bollocks in all my life.

Talk about a country you know about or STFU

Wit and IQ will never replace common thought ,,,whether you agree or not
Maybe your sentiments would be better directed to Mr Mubarack in his current cocoon with other self righteous idiots
Come the revolution ( and oh its coming alright) your place on the post is secure ....if not assured

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 9:23 am

bigfilsing wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
Eau2011 wrote: :lol: :lol:
Never seen quite so much or consistent bollocks in all my life.

Talk about a country you know about or STFU

Wit and IQ will never replace common thought ,,,whether you agree or not
Maybe your sentiments would be better directed to Mr Mubarack in his current cocoon with other self righteous idiots
Come the revolution ( and oh its coming alright) your place on the post is secure ....if not assured
:???: Talk about.....!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 5:37 pm

What a fascinating thread! I have two thoughts on China.

Firstly, a friend once shared an interesting perspective: wherever the Chinese diaspora has gone, it has done well economically because the Chinese have a strong drive to succeed. I agree and believe that once the CCP old guard gets out of the way (as eventually they must through sheer mortality) and the younger generation take over, China will do well once again. And unlike some of you, I hope to see this in my lifetime :)

Secondly, it's a gargantuan task to govern a billion people spread over a huge land mass. LKY once said that he might not have succeeded with China the way he did with Singapore. To speak of 'China' as if it were one place would be misleading. Most of the world sees only some parts of China, namely the commercial city centres. The urban rich / rural poor divide and the redistribution of wealth is more severe and more difficult for China than for most countries. It will take a government with outstanding organisational skills to level the playing field and rally the country.

Sorry if these points have already been made. I glanced through the entire thread but can't remember all the details in previous posts.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 5:56 pm

Good forecast! :wink: