Singapore Expats

best sandwiches in Singapore

Share your favourite eating haunts!
Singapore Newbie
Regular
Regular

best sandwiches in Singapore

Post by Singapore Newbie » Sun, 21 Nov 2010 1:58 pm

Just wanted to share a good experience that I had this week. I went to check out the new Marina Bay Link Mall at Marina Bay Financial Centre with some friends and we were pleasantly surprised to discover an authentic American deli in Singapore. It's called Madison Deli.

I shared a pulled pork sandwich and chopped salad and they were both delicious. The pulled pork, especially, is absolutely delicious. My friends also enjoyed the chicken and roast beef sandwiches they had. Not to mention they serve great coffee. Until now, I refused to go anywhere other than Jones for coffee. Not so any longer.

It's not often to find good service and good food, and I hadn't found a sandwich place like this in Singapore so I wanted to spread the word.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: best sandwiches in Singapore

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Nov 2010 9:43 pm

Singapore Newbie wrote:Just wanted to share a good experience that I had this week. I went to check out the new Marina Bay Link Mall at Marina Bay Financial Centre with some friends and we were pleasantly surprised to discover an authentic American deli in Singapore. It's called Madison Deli.

I shared a pulled pork sandwich and chopped salad and they were both delicious. The pulled pork, especially, is absolutely delicious. My friends also enjoyed the chicken and roast beef sandwiches they had. Not to mention they serve great coffee. Until now, I refused to go anywhere other than Jones for coffee. Not so any longer.

It's not often to find good service and good food, and I hadn't found a sandwich place like this in Singapore so I wanted to spread the word.
Just heard about this new link today. I pined for a decent sandwich in SG. Do they get the bread right?

Singapore Newbie
Regular
Regular

Post by Singapore Newbie » Mon, 22 Nov 2010 2:51 pm

I went there again today and this time had the tuna wrap. Delicious!

The bread is really good. Even my wrap today was moist and fresh. Usually the wrap bread can get dry, but not this one. My friends had the pulled pork (my recommendation, obviously) and the Chicken Caprese. Both loved them.

RMK

Feedback

Post by RMK » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks Singapore Newbie! Although if you have 57 posts I'm not sure you still qualify as "newbie". I'm one of the owners and we love all feedback - good and bad (hopefully more of the former or we won't be on this post long...)

As for Reporter, the bread is probably one of the only things we don't make in house (we do brine / roast our pork, roast our beef, cook the chicken every morning and make just about every sauce / dressing / condiment besides standard mustards and ketchups in house), but we do get bread daily from two local bakeries. Admittedly, my current problem is that I haven't found a decent rye yet - working on it - but have Ciabatta, Rosemary Focaccia, a Baguette, and an awesome Turkish bread. We also have Bagels, Croissants, Pastries, Cakes, and Deserts.

I hope to see you back soon! RMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:58 pm

tic....toc....tic....toc.....

3 strikes and you will be out. I suggest you contact Admin (Pal) and take out a banner advertisement and you will also get a free sticky in the forum of your choice. It will also keep you from getting locked out of your account for advertising.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Dec 2010 1:09 am

Yeah... bombing multiple threads is a bit OTT

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Dec 2010 1:39 am

While we're talking about spamming n all.

Can I just say that this place bloody rocks! Last Christmas I conjured up Christmas lunch for 16 (from that 1 metre square kitchen, what a miracle). Jeez in London my place has a three oven stack, in SG it's one spazz oven and the few inches by the side of the sink to work on.

BUT, for starters we had soup. And you better believe it was bloody impeccable. The wife did desert (totally get-off-your-head 90 degs trifle)

So, my whole focus, all of that day was on the turkey and trimmings. But really the start and end were magnifique.

Basement of Plaza Sing
http://www.saybons.com/department_soups.htm

No link, know no one. nothing. But I'll tell ya it made 12 hours in the kitchen a damned site easier having to only focus on one thing... Plus those soups, they REALLY came up to standard.

lovingasia

yummy soups!

Post by lovingasia » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 8:57 pm

I agree!! my hubby and I had their potato& leek, tomato and mushroom soup! Divine is the word!!

Plaza Sing is a lil out of the way for us but for saybons we will brave the crowd on weekends and make our way to town!!! :-)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 9:48 pm

I think today there is quite a current to cook doing 'cheats' and 'shortcuts'.

I'm a lot more anal than that (that won't surprise some hehe), as I want to understand each ingredient, and why it does what it does. Make puff-pastry pie-crust from scratch (flour and up) using a wine bottle as a rolling pin?... sure, been there... but I won't need to do it again I hope lol

Anyway, I suppose the point is that I really am fastidious in the kitchen. For that big meal I mentioned, well for me sometimes it is like I go onto auto-pilot trance-like in getting out what I have to as perfect as it can be.

But those soups took starters out of the equation for me that day, and were clearly created at the hands of a pro chef that understands the flavour, texture, visual palette.

I e-mailed the shop after, and the owner is indeed a pro chef. Well, kudos to her (I told her I'd be hugely proud to have turned out any of the three soups that we had bought (I have been to pro school too, ICE in NYC, tho not worked in the industry)). I don't like shortcuts, but with products like that I make an exception. There is a point where it is futile indirectly making work for yourself

p.s. For the record. I'll repeat I have zero connection with the company, just it was one of those very few low-key products we encountered in passing, that left us pretty blown away. Let's be honest you don't go down into the basement of Plaza Sing and expect to get a convincing (French-based-cusine) home made wild mushroom soup do you? I suppose that is my point...

nu2spore

Post by nu2spore » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:17 pm

I must agree with some of the previous posts about Madison deli in mbfc. Their pulled-pork sandwich is absolutely delicious!

zack59

Post by zack59 » Wed, 23 Feb 2011 2:37 pm

I've tried in O'Briens Irish Sandwich. When they aren't catering for upscale parties and events, the culinary geniuses at O'Briens are selling their sandwiches creations to the public at very value-worthy prices.

Kenzi

review

Post by Kenzi » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:40 pm

I just tried Madison Deli at the Marina Link Mall (recommended on this thread) and to tell you the truth was not that great (and I'm being nice). The roast beef my friend had was very fatty, the corn chowder could hardly be called chowder--it was more like soup broth, and my chicken sandwich was okay but not great. maybe I caught them on a bad day but that was very very far from the Madison deli in New York (either the UES or 34th street location, I've been to both on many occasions). New yorker here.

Jonomo

Post by Jonomo » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 8:29 pm

I would step over an old lady for a decent sandwich in SG. Pastrami, roast beef, bahn mi, anything but what's out there

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:11 pm

A proper Reuben, like at Katz's or Carnegie.

berkshire_yorkie

Post by berkshire_yorkie » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 5:08 am

Think I've mentioned this place in another thread, but it's good enough to warrant mention here as well: B Bakery, 15, Bussorah Street.

Cakes, coffee, pastries and salads are good as well.
Never regret anything that made you smile