Singapore Expats

still is "singaporeans speak singlish"

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
breedmon

Post by breedmon » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 5:49 pm

prkravi wrote:
breedmon wrote: The figure is around 10-20%, definitely not 0.01%.
That makes you Proud? :roll:
breedmon wrote: Singapore is one of the best debating teams in the world's English debating championship.

Yeah, I keep hearing the school children and teens talking in the MRT, in a way which can be only understood by them.
What is there to be proud or ashamed of? I am not an Indian like you who was brought up in a country where only the elites speak (broken) English and therefore take pride in learning English. In fact, you are extremely lucky to be able to escape from abject poverty by coming to Spore hope you realise that.

Sporeans like myself are educated entirely in English and come from English speaking households, naturally it is the only language I feel comfortable using.

Everyone knows Singapore is a multi cultural country and people have different first languages. English is the second lang, not the first, for a big part of the society.

For what it is worth, I found it much easier to get around speaking English before 2 million immigrants like yourself came in. Now I have to point just to order food :(
Last edited by breedmon on Fri, 18 Feb 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 5:56 pm

So that's your Grief!! 2 Million Immigrants. Now the Cat is out of the bag... When will you come over this insecurity??
I can see your knees wobble now :cool:

And your arguement about First Language Second Language is all just nothing but a pile of excuses...from where I come, we speak and write atleast 2 native dialects PLUS comprehensible English

So is the case with most Europeans... :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 6:07 pm

breedmon or sgkenneth forgets that he too is the offspring of immigrants as well. He would do well to remember that. His forefathers were also probably penniless immigrants who came to try to better themselves as well. Those who forget or deny their history are doomed to repeat it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 6:38 pm

prkravi wrote:So that's your Grief!! 2 Million Immigrants. Now the Cat is out of the bag... When will you come over this insecurity??
I can see your knees wobble now :cool:

And your arguement about First Language Second Language is all just nothing but a pile of excuses...from where I come, we speak and write atleast 2 native dialects PLUS comprehensible English

So is the case with most Europeans... :P
As with most Indians, I don't even understand what you are driving at because your English is so poor. Haha.

Indians write/speak comprehensible English? Last time I checked most of the country was living in slums and only the upper class can write some broken English but even they are not fluent in Eng by any means.

What a joke. Does April's fool come early this year?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:breedmon or sgkenneth forgets that he too is the offspring of immigrants as well. He would do well to remember that. His forefathers were also probably penniless immigrants who came to try to better themselves as well. Those who forget or deny their history are doomed to repeat it.
Oh so just because your forefathers were immigrants means everyone is welcomed to come in and have a party? Almost every country is an immigrant country these days. Try telling the Americans to let the Mexicans migrate en masse then. Or the Finnish to let the Russians in en masse since they are of the same ancestry.

Give your logic, since my forefathers who came 200 years ago were coolies, I should go to Boat Quay and carry sacks of potatoes for a living? Or should we go lock the Australians up lest they forget their convict history and are "doomed to repeat it", as in your own words.

Balls.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 6:53 pm

I would like to register a complaint against this poster Breedmon.

He is giving nothing of value to this forum and only seems to be here to agitate trouble and fight.

I support the right to vigorous discourse, but believe that hand in hand with that one must show that one is also contributing in a constructive way.

I do not believe that to be the case with this poster.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 6:53 pm

Obviously, you live in an imaginary world!...

:-({|=

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 7:24 pm

prkravi wrote:Obviously, you live in an imaginary world!...

:-({|=
I don't mind living in an imaginary world, as long as it is not a roadside tent with no running water.

http://www.languageinindia.com/junjul20 ... glish.html

Only about three percent of India's population speak English, but they are the individuals who lead India's economic, industrial, professional, political, and social life. Even though English is primarily a second language for these persons, it is the medium in which a great number of the interactions in the above domains are carried out. Having such important information moving in English conduits is often not appreciated by Indians who do not speak it, but they are relatively powerless to change that.
JR8 wrote:I would like to register a complaint against this poster Breedmon.

He is giving nothing of value to this forum and only seems to be here to agitate trouble and fight.

I support the right to vigorous discourse, but believe that hand in hand with that one must show that one is also contributing in a constructive way.

I do not believe that to be the case with this poster.
Having a prissy fit? I am not agitating or being rude, I am merely being honest. If you can't handle the truth like PRKRAVI, try popping a Prozac.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 7:46 pm

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting some link is not going to support this arguement in any way...
Google can help me pull out a million other links that will talk in my favour. But facts are facts. And you your self know it as a matter of fact.

And we've just realised that we've been listening to the rants of someone who is dependent on Anti Depressants! :???:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 7:54 pm

nakatago wrote:Image

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 8:24 pm

breedmon wrote: Only about three percent of India's population speak English, but they are the individuals who lead India's economic, industrial, professional, political, and social life.
And 47% of Singaporeans, according to an earlier post, speak English at home AND outside. A high proportion of them still stand on the toilet seat and don't lead anybody anywhere. So? :roll:
breedmon wrote:Give your logic, since my forefathers who came 200 years ago were coolies, I should go to Boat Quay and carry sacks of potatoes for a living? Or should we go lock the Australians up lest they forget their convict history and are "doomed to repeat it", as in your own words.
While a very few Singaporean have an excellent command of spoken English, and are making waves in debating circles, it's obvious you would have never been one of them. You have a definite problem with reading comprehension. Nobody said anybody had to "live" their history did they? I said not to forget their history or deny their history. You did better as sgkenneth. You are frothing at the mouth and are a spent force as it appears that you are starting to clutch at straws already.... :console:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 2:27 am

breedmon wrote:
prkravi wrote:
breedmon wrote: The figure is around 10-20%, definitely not 0.01%.
That makes you Proud? :roll:
breedmon wrote: Singapore is one of the best debating teams in the world's English debating championship.

Yeah, I keep hearing the school children and teens talking in the MRT, in a way which can be only understood by them.
What is there to be proud or ashamed of? I am not an Indian like you who was brought up in a country where only the elites speak (broken) English and therefore take pride in learning English. In fact, you are extremely lucky to be able to escape from abject poverty by coming to Singapore hope you realise that.

Sporeans like myself are educated entirely in English and come from English speaking households, naturally it is the only language I feel comfortable using.

Everyone knows Singapore is a multi cultural country and people have different first languages. English is the second lang, not the first, for a big part of the society.

For what it is worth, I found it much easier to get around speaking English before 2 million immigrants like yourself came in. Now I have to point just to order food :(
How arrogant! :shock:
Just can't believe my eyes... :???: You say you are educated???

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 4:32 am

Eau2011 wrote: How arrogant! :shock:
Your first taster of the ugly side. Expect a lot more.

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:36 am

Haha, the day an Indian man speaks better English than a Singaporean is the day I eat my curry without potatoes. And I always eat my curry with potatoes for your information.

PS: If the bitter foreigners want to insult me, could you at least make some sense with your insults? Thank you.

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:00 pm

Eau2011 wrote: How arrogant! :shock:
Hi, thanks for the question. I never said I was educated. I merely said I would tell the truth.
Last edited by breedmon on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.