Singapore Expats

want to be free guide for singapore tourist

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
paulzheng
Regular
Regular

want to be free guide for singapore tourist

Post by paulzheng » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 2:42 pm

I have stay in singapore for more than 8 years. Every day, there are many people from all over the world come to to singapore for travelling, i would be very happy to be act as their free tour guide since i am very familiar with singapore and want to make friends with them. I have generate this ideas for quite some times, but still don't know how to come out the first step. any one can give me some suggestion to fulfill my dream?

I setup up a website to promote the idea.

http://www.singaporefreeguide.com/english/default.html

I am very new on web development, so any suggestion on web design will be highly appreciate. for example, what is the good web develop tools, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
update one years later:

Now I added Chinese Version on my website. I found it is still some difficult for me to promote my idea in English. Although my english is ok to let me to handle my work and life need, but, since I come from mainland china, Chinese is mother tongue language, so now I am focus on to promote this idea in Chinese. this does not mean that I don't want to guide the english speak people. On the contrary, I am very willing to guide the english speak people since it will let me to contat different culture.

Any further suggestions, still welcome and appreciate.

I also would like to thank for all the people here to give me so many good suggestions.

Last edited by paulzheng on Mon, 02 Apr 2012 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 2:53 pm

How are you going to eat?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 3:58 pm

Dear sundaymorningstaple,

Thanks very much for your care on my plans.

I am not plan to do a full time free tourist guide, maybe once in a month, so i think that would not affect my normal work and life.

I just think it will bring me some extra experience in my life, 1 time/per month, means 12 times/ year, and 10 year you can do 120 times, so means i can meet so many friend from all over the world.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 5:29 pm

Is there an equivalent of Big Apple Greeters in Singapore?

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 7:08 pm

If you want to do this, you should set up an account and post to various travel websites... like lonely planet... offering your free services. Who knows? It might work.

On the other hand, quite a lot of tourists like to explore, not be guided. And if you go to museums, you can get a guided tour. Can you explain the history of the Buddha tooth relic temple? Or the construction history behind the ferris wheel? Or many other things? Just taking someone out and showing is not sufficient. You need to know the history and culture of many things... like, what is the old civil courts building being used for now?

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:49 pm

Dear Strong Eagle,

Thanks very much for your good advice, i think i will be open account in like lonely planet and provide for my free guide.

You are right, being a guide, is not only to take them to some place and then do nothing, it is need to dig much more in everything about singapore, this is also one of the reason that i want to be act as a free guide since it will push me to know more about singapore.

In a word, to rediscovery the whole new singapore thought i already stay here more than 8 years.

Yesterday , i went to Fullerton Heritage Gallary and find more interesting history about singapore. I believe, when time go on, i will accumulate more and more.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:52 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:If you want to do this, you should set up an account and post to various travel websites... like lonely planet... offering your free services. Who knows? It might work.

On the other hand, quite a lot of tourists like to explore, not be guided. And if you go to museums, you can get a guided tour. Can you explain the history of the Buddha tooth relic temple? Or the construction history behind the ferris wheel? Or many other things? Just taking someone out and showing is not sufficient. You need to know the history and culture of many things... like, what is the old civil courts building being used for now?
Paul, that's quite challenging. :lol:
Go back and study the history and culture first. :wink:

But it's anyhow a good idea. Many old European people would be happy to have somebody to guide them. Those who like to know the centries of history and culture in every detail, please explore by themselves or look for professional guides. :lol:

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:53 pm

JR8 wrote:Is there an equivalent of Big Apple Greeters in Singapore?

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/
wow, great, this is the exact thing i want look for in singapore. but unfortunaly, i just can not find such kind of website in singapore. Seems that there are still a lot people sharing the same idea with me, so i will not feel lonely anymore,hehe. At the begin, i even feel shy to talk about my thoght, i worry that other people will laugh at me....

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:38 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:If you want to do this, you should set up an account and post to various travel websites... like lonely planet... offering your free services. Who knows? It might work.

Paul, that's quite challenging. :lol:
Go back and study the history and culture first. :wink:

But it's anyhow a good idea. Many old European people would be happy to have somebody to guide them. Those who like to know the centries of history and culture in every detail, please explore by themselves or look for professional guides. :lol:
Thanks very much for your advice, it will become my motivation to learn more about singapore.

Just now, i am surf the website www.bigapplegreeter.org and quite encourage by that. I know i am not alone although i feel quite alone when 1 and half year ago when generated the free guide thought for singapore.
at that moment, i talk with a girl who comes from Australiu, she told me she quite love singapore and this is the second time she visit singapore, suddenly, i come this idea, i want to be a free guide for singapore.

actually, i have been guide two old lady from New Zealand before. They told me this is the first time they go abroad and they chose singapore. We have a very nice day and they is so happy to leave me their contact information in New Zealand and told me if future i have chance to Aucland, they also can guide me. It is a unforgivable experience in my life.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:44 pm

Google on 'Berlin free tours' and you'll find more of the same!

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:57 pm

JR8 wrote:Google on 'Berlin free tours' and you'll find more of the same!
Yes, i search on google and found http://www.newberlintours.com/......i am watch the website...

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 9:57 am

Hi,

There are two German ladies who offer guided tours about various topics (not free, and actually quite expensive) in German - so there is certainly demand.
Since there is no comparable organisation, you'd probably have to start one. Approach the Singapore Tourism Board, they might offer support!
And if you need another volunteer guide, I'd be available occasionally, as I also know Singapore quite well and like to tell stories.

Good luck!

Frank

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:45 am

If you are serious, you could start here:-
http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/tr ... ience.html

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:52 am

beppi wrote:Hi,

There are two German ladies who offer guided tours about various topics (not free, and actually quite expensive) in German - so there is certainly demand.
Since there is no comparable organisation, you'd probably have to start one. Approach the Singapore Tourism Board, they might offer support!
And if you need another volunteer guide, I'd be available occasionally, as I also know Singapore quite well and like to tell stories.

Good luck!

Frank
Hi Frank,

I am really appreciate your sharing the information in German and advice for me to contact the Singapore Tourism Board, i think i will contact them one day.

If i need another volunteer, i will ask for you help. for easy communicate, may i know your contact method, like email address or facebook itc.

Or, you can drop me a email, my email address is :

Thanks.
Last edited by paulzheng on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Post by paulzheng » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:04 pm

prkravi wrote:If you are serious, you could start here:-
http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/tr ... ience.html
Yeh, it is really a very wonderful website for the start. I think it can bring a very big help when tourist want to customerize their travel.

Do you have any suggestion that how can I contact the tourist who want to travel to singapore?