Singapore Expats

NTSC TV

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
atmengr

Post by atmengr » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:25 pm

I brought a Toshiba TV from the US in 2008 and have used the Starhub Hubstation (non-HD) hooked up using Component cables (red/green/blue) for video, and RCA cables for sound since then with no issues. The Toshiba said it was NTSC format only and I even bought a (cheap) PAL to NTSC converter at Sim Lim, but I never needed to use it. So the answer to many people's question on here is: yes, US TVs can be compatible with Starhub cable boxes, even without an HDMI cable. To huskermama77, I think you might have damaged your HDMI cable. There's no reason it wouldn't work with the US TV perfectly. Either that or you need to get the cable box switched out.

hvnair

Singtel

Post by hvnair » Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:00 am

I connected my US NTSC Format TV to my MioTV HD box using a DVI cable and it works well - no seperate converter needed. However, since the cable out is DVI, and not HDMI, you'll need to connect audio output through either fiber optic cable if your TV or receiver supports it, or through standard RCA Audio cables.

MioTV does not have the optimal TV lineup, but since I just want the ability to stream movies online, it works for me.

Hope this puts some resolution to the question - if you have a large (i.e. >42") US TV and debating whether to bring it over, I think it makes sense to bring it, and buy the voltage converter (if needed - I'd go with 2000W or bigger) and sign up for an HD box from Singtel or Starhub (according to the previous post). Large TVs are much more expensive in Singapore than in the US (and so are voltage converters). My 55" TV is about 2.5x in Singapore of the price I paid for it in the US.

However, if you're comfortable with ~42" TV or less, don't bother shipping/getting transformer since TV's in Singapore at that size are about the same price and come with warranty.

Good luck!

ssaannttii

Post by ssaannttii » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,
Yesterday, I connected my starhub box hd to my tv sony, which has hdmi. I tried to connect it by all methods, AV, Component, Hdmi, but it just doesn't work.
I am thinking in buying a pal to ntsc hdmi converter, as this one or similar :

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Pal-HDMI-t ... 1080p.html

Yesterday, I went to the Sim lim square, but I could not find it...

Do you know where I can buy something like this? Or in which shop at the sim lim square?

Thank you very much

ssaannttii

Post by ssaannttii » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 8:02 pm

ssaannttii wrote:Hi everyone,
Yesterday, I connected my starhub box hd to my tv sony, which has hdmi. I tried to connect it by all methods, AV, Component, Hdmi, but it just doesn't work.

Do you know where I can buy something like this? Or in which shop at the sim lim square?

Thank you very much
I got this message "Unsupported signal. Check your device output."

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 7:56 am

ssaannttii wrote:Hi everyone,

Thank you very much
We went through the exact same thing. The only thing that we found at sim lim or funan was junk. We ended up ordering this one online and it works great. Good luck getting settled in.
http://www.world-import.com/Com_World_C ... verter.htm

Vxx

Post by Vxx » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 9:35 am

Above posters mention 100v-220/240v transformers, any recommendations on where to purchase in Singapore or whether it would be better to buy here (Japan) and ship? I have the joy of TV shipping coming up next week but I mainly use US and UK iTunes for TV shows so not the end of the world if the cable box doesn't work.

thanks in advance

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:18 am

You can get transformers here in Singapore at several different electronic stores. The biggest that I have found is 1000 watt which is more than enough for a TV.

Vxx

Post by Vxx » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:24 am

Thanks calmday - appreciated. Also a slightly stupid question but it has been many years since I failed physics A'level, if I get a 1000w transformer, I am presuming using it for lower wattage items won't be an issue, the only issue will be using it for higher output devices? I will need a few for kitchen stuff, gym equipment etc, presuming getting a large output one is ok to run a power bar off for several small devices?

Thanks

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:48 pm

No problem at all running a smaller watt device from a 1000 watt transformer. A good formula to know is W = V x A
The wattage requirements for some kitchen devices might be surprising. Especially anything with a heating element.

Vxx

Post by Vxx » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks again, will do some investigating on the appliances in question!
v

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 1:42 am

its a question of relevance.
TV's might be 2.5 times more expensive but you have a hundred times less chance of getting shot while shopping for a TV or AV equipment.
What facts do you wish to drag into the pro / against arguments

HDMI is NOT i repeat NOT universal by any stretch of the imagination. It probably will work but may not........

You are moving to or living in a foreign country ...get a grip and get on with your life.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 7:42 am

bigfilsing wrote:its a question of relevance.
TV's might be 2.5 times more expensive but you have a hundred times less chance of getting shot while shopping for a TV or AV equipment.
What facts do you wish to drag into the pro / against arguments

HDMI is NOT i repeat NOT universal by any stretch of the imagination. It probably will work but may not........

You are moving to or living in a foreign country ...get a grip and get on with your life.
WTF are you talking about and what rock did you crawl out from under? Your post is worthless.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 9:21 am

:quarrel: :boxing: I wondered how long it would take. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fire

Post by fire » Wed, 25 May 2011 12:54 am

After reading all replies here, I decided to bring my ntsc TV to Singapore and applied for singtel MIO TV.

Since the TV is quite new (Samsung PAVV LED), it has a HDMI port and singtel technician guys conncted with my tv using HDMI cable today. But it does not workat all. MIO TV set up box has HDMI out and my tv has HDMI in. It should be working ok if all discussions above is right. I also tried to connect with components, but it did not work either...

Some says because singapore use pal it does not work with ntsc tv, but some says PAL/NTSC is irrelevant to digital signals, i.e. it matters only when we receive signals directly from antenna or receiver.

I need a help desperately. Please help me out. Any comments are welcomed.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Wed, 25 May 2011 4:16 pm

You need the adapter. We went through the same thing and ended up getting one online. It works great. I found a couple locally but they were total junk.
http://www.world-import.com/Com_World_C ... verter.htm

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”