Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
ToAmazed

Post by ToAmazed » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 9:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:
waiting wrote:
Anonymous wrote:See this is what i mean by SQ hiring cabin crews with the ability to study but with hollow brains when it comes to having own SENSES!!Geez pple..really wish u all luck..u'll need it...And pls, once u are out there flying,don't bring down the company's name by being DUMB...How could one not know how to dress for an interview and another one asking help on how to introduce ureself??What the hell?!!!

OMG.. u can don answer, but can u don give unnecessary comments... We are dumd then what are you? busybody? or big mouth? brainless, we are just asking qnuestions as we are not so sure. We are not as OLD as you to be so familiar with the procedure. I know you have been going for interviews for many times and NV got in.. so please keep ur comments to yourself. thanz alot.
hahaha..Typical posting from a person who admits it all!Well like it or not my dear,you will be working with ADULTS so u better think like one or you'll just be pushed around.Guess this is would be your first job huh? interview huh?By the way,i'm really not interested working as a waitress.I'd rather travel comfortably and having people like you serve me. :D
well.. guess amazed should learn his/her manner with u :)
I accept that u dun have any interest working as a waitress.. but some may do..
if no one in the world would like to work as a stewardess than guess that u wont have a comfort travel and no one will serve you. :)
so.. not everyone want to become IT professional/some other "cool" jobs, but some of them maybe love travel and just want to serve others and get a smile from others.

good luck and all the best for everyone

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 9:56 pm

ToAmazed wrote:Well.. guess that u are a grammar fixer or something...

i just wondering whether all singaporean expat is always correcting others ?

I also wondering whether in singapore, they dun have any respect to others as they have to criticise each other and think that his/her life is the perfect one.

Please.. correct ur self before u correcting someone else and i'm pretty sure if you are an expert and educated then you wont be having this manner.
I think the point that Amazed is trying to make is that to become an SIA crew member you need to be professional... in the way you carry yourself, in the way you look, AND in the way you speak.

The people who post this nearly unintelligible SMS'ese do not really demonstrate the capacity of professional speech. It is a fact that vocabulary is a predictor of intelligence. It is a two way street. As you work to increase your vocabulary, and to speak in increasingly coherent ways, your thought processes naturally improve. By reading, learning new words, and developing your oral and written communications skills, you are increasingly able to influence others.

When you post in this SMS'ese gibberish, you demonstrate two things. First, you demonstrate an ignorance of spelling and the basic rules of grammar. Second, you show an immaturity of thought when a) you post in this stuff, and b) you defend it as though the people who take you to task for poor English are attacking you rather than trying to get you to see that you do yourself no favors when you post like this.

ToAmazed

Post by ToAmazed » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:06 pm

No offense!

just that i'm wondering if everyone was born as an expat and if they have to be an expert to work as a steward/ess as the first time. If the answer is yes, then i guess there will be no 3 month intensive training needed for every steward/ess.

So.. i also wondering if its only expat allowed to use this forum or anyone who able to type and write an english even they dun even know the grammar?

thx

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:15 pm

It has got nothing to do with being an expat, and everything to do with using proper language. This is an English language forum, and the comments relate to using English properly, and in a way to maximize your own opportunities. If you think poor language doesn't hurt you, you are sadly mistaken.

I would expect that the exact same arguments hold true in any language. You have the choice of speaking the gutter version or the real version of any language.

And, it's not only Singapore... we've got the same problem in the US... people incapable of using grammatically correct English.

Of course, everyone is welcome to post to this forum... and in whatever fashion they wish. And since it is an open forum, you must also be prepared for responses that you disagree with.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToAmazed

Post by ToAmazed » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:25 pm

:D 8) :wink:

no offence la~

guess i lose debating wif u... and i trully can accept the reason.. well.. but still hate amazed, maybe just immature me.. but dun care coz this is open forum rite :p

:D

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:15 pm

You are a most gracious debater... and it is a sign of a strong person who can come out on the losing end of an argument and move on without rancor. Many cannot do that. Don't worry about amazed... whether you agree or disagree. The key is... will you let him push your buttons? The instant you let him... or anyone... affect your behavior, then you are in reactive mode... you are letting others control your actions... because you react to what they do. The more successful gambit is to be pro active... doing that which furthers your own interests... even if you really would, deep down, like to kick the old bastard's ass. If it doesn't get you what you want, then it is not worth doing.

Peace and blessings.

Jamie

Questions!!

Post by Jamie » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 2:14 am

Ok, I need some help for a couple of questions..

1) I'll be about 23 by the time I graduated with a degree. Am i too old by then?

2) How long is the training period and what about the bond? Is there a break in between so u can choose whether to go on being an air stewardess?

3) I've got a couple of piercings but I'd like to keep my tragus(barbell) and navel ring on. I've also got a tattoo on my lower back. Is it still possible to be one of the cabin crew? Or chances are zilch?

ah miao

Re: Questions!!

Post by ah miao » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 2:54 am

Jamie wrote:Ok, I need some help for a couple of questions..

1) I'll be about 23 by the time I graduated with a degree. Am i too old by then?

2) How long is the training period and what about the bond? Is there a break in between so u can choose whether to go on being an air stewardess?

3) I've got a couple of piercings but I'd like to keep my tragus(barbell) and navel ring on. I've also got a tattoo on my lower back. Is it still possible to be one of the cabin crew? Or chances are zilch?
hi jamie,

1. 23 is not consider old. SIA still employ stewardesses who are age 26, 27, 28. so 23 is still consider young.

2. 4 mths of training. 22 mths bond. after the training, u will have to commence your flying duties unless u are willing to break the bond and pay the compensation money.

3. as long as your piercings and tattoo are cover up by the kebaya, it shouldn't be a problem.

hope my answers helps. all the best!

Regret Stewardess

Re: Why you apply??

Post by Regret Stewardess » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 9:35 am

I totally agreed with you...... not only bad management, the girls are also seen as a sex symbol to many people.... and when you served in air...some people just admiring at your butt in kebaya when you walk through them....look & look & look...rude stares! Dunno what they looking! Enough!
It's Glam when you look from the outside & whole package! But when you are in it suffering...haha.... better prepare enough money to breach your contract huh!
Good luck!
Think thrice Girls!
Ketut wrote:Hi,

Why you apply for this job? It sucks!!

SIA is a shit company! With a very bad management!
Look at the postings! The girls are only used as a wet bed sheet for the captain and stewards.
Better go orchard tower then you make some money from it!!
Sorry but if you don't do what they want then you can clean the toilet!!
I know some stewardess and they have told me some stories!!! It sucks!!!
SIA "Sex in Air"

Regards,
Ketut Partha

*Saddy*

Retrenched Stewardess

Post by *Saddy* » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:49 am

:evil:

I am one of the Flight Stewardess that was retrenched few years back when the economy was really bad! I was only 26 when I was retrenched! I join SIA at 20. I have a 10 years contract with them because I am a Malaysian Stewardess...and they retrenched me half way through...yes, though they compensate me...but i feel that that's not fair....

On the one hand retrenched me, on the other hand, still recruiting new Stewardess....

I was so sad that time, because I love my job, and I spend all my youth there! At least I give all my best time to SIA...and they treat me like that! What is happening! Why! I am only one step to my Chief Stewardess Rank!!!! And I am out!
:twisted: :twisted:

CuriousCat

Re: Why you apply??

Post by CuriousCat » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 4:39 pm

Regret Stewardess wrote:I totally agreed with you...... not only bad management, the girls are also seen as a sex symbol to many people.... and when you served in air...some people just admiring at your butt in kebaya when you walk through them....look & look & look...rude stares! don't know what they looking! Enough!
It's Glam when you look from the outside & whole package! But when you are in it suffering...haha.... better prepare enough money to breach your contract huh!
Good luck!
Think thrice Girls!
Hi Regret Stewardess

Is it really that bad? Then how come there are some girls who could take on the job for so many years?

Actually I got the job offer last year but I did not take it in the end. And now, I am kindda having regrets of not taking up the job offer in the 1st place.

Btw, can I ask you a few questions? If possible, please drop me an email at [email protected]

Many thanks!

SweetGal

Post by SweetGal » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 5:34 pm

All I want to say is to think very carefully before joining.

There is a lot of internal politics there. If you're very heavy depending on how difficult you are. People all smile smile then backstab you. It's depressing. Recently with these higher education thing, some exisiting senior crew may feel intimidated or think you're a showoff or better off then them, then you kena. I kinda regret to a certain extent la.

You must know how to swim. During training (my batch) they actually do 2 series (one with vest) another w/o vest and see whether you can swim.

Don't feel pressurised into signing if you get in- in Emirates I know there is no bond, if you don't like it there you can resign, in SQ no such thing.

I can't wait for my bond to end actually. Another 1 yr to go.

Please think carefully - if you think you're strong and can take it then come. If not, don't. It's not easy thinking if you don't like your team, you can just ask for transfer - you're on probation and people will start saying "This girl v.difficult always complain or this girl got attitude"

On perverts - ahem, you'll see a bit - sometime people will say "Sorry, accident" - when it's actually on purpose. U can't do anything and smile and say "Is there anything I can help you with sir?"

I will pray all of you hopefuls. God bless everyone. :)

waiting

Post by waiting » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 6:03 pm

Whatever it is, I am just unsatisfied with the sort of arrogant attitude of Amazed. You may be so perfectly good in your grammar that you can come here to criticize other people's grammar mistakes. However, never mind, maybe I am in the wrong, for not using perfect English here. Just hope that you could stop being so arrogant in the way you write or even speak. Other than that, I am more than willing to accept it, when you corrected me. Thanks alot.

Jamie

Bond

Post by Jamie » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:11 pm

Hey ah miao, thx for ur reply..

Btw, I thought the training bond was 1.5yrs and the actual contract was 5 yrs?!! What about other airlines like JAL? How are they different from SIA?

confused

Post by confused » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:19 pm

hi i'm a new recruit for sia, havent decide whether i will join or not, although my work permit has been approved. heard a lot about the politics, backstabbing, and racisism that exists.
could anyone give me any explanation regarding this issue?

is it true that the roster might be influenced on your manners otr attitude to the seniors, if you got backstabbed somehow, you may not be able to defend yourself, rite? i mean, does the ground staff who take care of the roster can be influenced by what the seniors had to say?

thx a lot..