Singapore Expats

What do you miss most?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
foxinabox

What do you miss most?

Post by foxinabox » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 1:45 am

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post. :) My bf's company offered him a great position in Singapore and we will be moving in late spring/early summer. I hope to tap into all the knowledge and experience you guys have to offer over the next few months as we prepare for the big move!

For now, I'm just curious to know what you guys miss most about your home country, if anything? I wonder if it's something tangible, like a favorite dish or a car, or something more abstract, like a support network or an abstract idea? For example, I live in NYC, and I think I'll greatly miss the immense level of diversity we have here.

Don't get me wrong, I am really excited about living and working in a new country, but I am curious to hear about the types of things people miss most in such a situation, having never experienced it myself (yet)! :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 2:39 am

In Singapore I miss being able to have any form form of intelligent informed discussion with the average 'new local person' that I meet. I.e. a relative from the extended family, or friend of a friend, or someone you meet at a party, or a neighbour.

For the vast majority of locals conversation seems to be restricted to food and shopping and rudderless 'chit chat'.

If you enjoy any level of vigorous debate on the issues of the day, prepare yourself to be very very bored on that front, if like me you did not go out to work, and are not going to work in an expat-filled office or live in Holland Village (expat-ville). You will need to make western friends or you will probably go nuts!

(I am not saying there are not compensating pluses, but they are not a subject invited in the OP).

p.s. Example of depth of conversation with typical local...
Foreigner: What do you think about the Singapore Flyer [observation wheel]?
Local: Yah it damn cool lah!
Foreigner: What do like most about it?
Local: Umm, umm, don't know jus like it yah?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 7:00 am

Unless you are going to get married before arriving here you'd better arrange/check up in front with his HR about a valid stay pass for you or you may miss some basic social stability in your life.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 7:32 am

Good point.... that was an elephant in the room...

foxinabox

Post by foxinabox » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 8:28 am

Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it. I don't think it should be a big problem. I work in an MNC and my company has agreed to sponsor my transition to the Singapore office as well. However it seems that the office would consist of mostly locals and very few expats, if any...not sure if that will carry any implications for me. :???:

fatmouse76
Regular
Regular

Post by fatmouse76 » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:14 am

What about in terms of services ? well something you had back home, which you cnat find in Singapore and wish there was ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 5:36 pm

@foxinabox, MNC as your employer, this helps but there is still no guaranty you will get the employment pass (EP). If there are not so many expats in their local office this probably mean the local HR is not too experience in handling EP applications esp. if some problems arise. Also, you may want to check what kind of contract they are going to put you on - i.e. a local contract comes typically with 14 days of annual leave only. I am writing all this not to scare you but let you to be better prepared to what you may face here. I suggest you search this forum for "girlfriend" and browse some threads related to Employment Pass - you should get some flavor.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 9:13 pm

fatmouse76 wrote:What about in terms of services ? well something you had back home, which you cnat find in Singapore and wish there was ?
A launderette/dry cleaners that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:38 pm

fatmouse76 wrote:What about in terms of services ? well something you had back home, which you cnat find in Singapore and wish there was ?
Several. OTOH, there are services in Singapore that I can't find at home so it is a bit of a wash.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 8:21 am

TexMex

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:46 pm

Calmday wrote:TexMex
Agreed. just not the same anywhere you go.
Thats one good thind about "H" town.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:50 pm

space. being able to go on a 'domestic' holiday without needing a passport to travel.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

mspiggie

Post by mspiggie » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 1:17 pm

I miss good & friendly customer service. It's kinda rare here..

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 1:43 pm

no season but the rainy and the less rainy one :lol: ... i miss winter...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 1:48 pm

merichan wrote:no season but the rainy and the less rainy one
you forget:

* hot and sticky
* hot and wet
* hot and hazy

:P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."