Singapore Expats

Filial Piety Revisited

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 9:17 am

Tyianchang, are you interested in hearing anyone else's point of view or are you really just trying to convince everyone else of what you already believe?

As for getting wires crossed, it's not hard to see why, seeing as your posts are FULL of incredibly banal statements like this gem:
FP is just one of the concepts underpinning an ideal state or utopia. Of course, I'm not so stupid as to believe we can get there for the gods are jealous.
I mean, seriously? Assuming you are being serious, then ideal state according to whom? Yet Dog forbid anyone not understand what you mean... :roll: Then you get all shocked and start calling people rude or culturally insensitive!

My comment about the MOE is based on this:
- Not everyone in Singapore is Chinese.
- Aside from a very small minority, all Singaporean children attend government schools.
- When filial peity is included as a part of the school curriculum, it cannot be considered something that only Chinese families practise - yet you are continuing to refer to it as Chinese culture, when it goes much further than that...

Not sure how that was so confusing, but it probably helps if you stop using the base assumption that "Singaporean = Chinese" and "Chinese culture/beliefs = correct."

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 9:27 am

k1w1 wrote:but it probably helps if you stop using the base assumption that "Singaporean = Chinese" and "Chinese culture/beliefs = correct."
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 9:43 am

tyianchang wrote:Regarding your friends, they should have the flexibility to reduce their allowances to their parents as their children make more demands on their income. This is to be expected - no one ever says there's any hard and fast rules for FP which is more than what money can buy in the first instance.
Yes, but in reality, it doesn't always work like that. As parents get older, they are less able to work. Of course, the law in Singapore that allows companies to start slashing your salary once you reach a certain age (60, I think) does not help matters. Medical bills will start going up as well. Realisitically, the demands on children get higher.

There is also the maintenance of parents act in Singapore that requires children to support their parents. I can't imagine that law was brought in without there being a significant issue of elderly people not being looked after by their children...
To add, Mao threw out Confucius for his sexist attitude though what's inherently good cannot be so easily discarded.
So now we're assuming Confuscious' ideas were inherently good? Come on now...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 9:46 am

Wah liaow you two both 'anti-Chinese agent'*, or racist attacker issit?
:wink:

p.s. So now der 3 of us lah :) Oh and den Longstebe get in neck too, make 4.

* For those who don't know, this is what Quitter Batty accused me of being.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 4:56 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I think that might have been EF's terminology, not Time Magazine's.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Time is not a parenting magazine. I was playing off their yearly accolade of Person of the Year :D .

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 6:28 pm

k1w1 wrote:Tyianchang, are you interested in hearing anyone else's point of view or are you really just trying to convince everyone else of what you already believe?

As for getting wires crossed, it's not hard to see why, seeing as your posts are FULL of incredibly banal statements like this gem:
FP is just one of the concepts underpinning an ideal state or utopia. Of course, I'm not so stupid as to believe we can get there for the gods are jealous.
I mean, seriously? Assuming you are being serious, then ideal state according to whom? Yet Dog forbid anyone not understand what you mean... :roll: Then you get all shocked and start calling people rude or culturally insensitive!

My comment about the MOE is based on this:
- Not everyone in Singapore is Chinese.
- Aside from a very small minority, all Singaporean children attend government schools.
- When filial peity is included as a part of the school curriculum, it cannot be considered something that only Chinese families practise - yet you are continuing to refer to it as Chinese culture, when it goes much further than that...

Not sure how that was so confusing, but it probably helps if you stop using the base assumption that "Singaporean = Chinese" and "Chinese culture/beliefs = correct."
You obviously have a lot of issues.
1. Have you even read Lun Yue - 论 语 source of FP ? No, that's why we're talking at cross purposes. The ideal state was what Confucius strived for in his discourses which, apart from FP, include benevolence and righteousness. Surely, a name like EF doesn't issue from the blame culture of society? Incredulous!
2. I just find it amazing I should be talking about a topic the MOE is reviving. As WIMH asserted, the phrase FP is of Chinese origin and Confucius 's text provides a context for discussion on the topic.
SG's always been multicultural and you can put whatever equation you like for it. I'm topic specific.
tyianchang

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 6:33 pm

k1w1,

Never argue with a fool. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Amy Chua on the rise

Post by tyianchang » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 6:41 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I think that might have been EF's terminology, not Time Magazine's.
MHB, talking about tigers, AChua appeared on Channel 4 (ultra liberal/left media) news in the UK last night with an intro backed up by local and international statistics. Wow, she's quite a good looker and I'm afraid to say, I smiled at your words when her hubby appeared with their kids in the background. But he's got the looks too.
AChua's a new breed - of assertive Chinese American? Her voice's rather throttled though I don't assume she's a drinker. John Snow lapped up on AChua as we're suffering from adverse educational achievements here, err , comparatively speaking.
tyianchang

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:04 pm

k1w1 wrote:Tyianchang, are you interested in hearing anyone else's point of view or are you really just trying to convince everyone else of what you already believe?
From where I sit that question answers itself, although I have to admit I am glad you asked it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 3:50 am

Plavt

Here is an equation of equilibrium , Newton Law , mass , action and reaction

\alpha A + \beta B \rightleftharpoons \sigma S + \tau T
\mbox{forward reaction rate} = k_+ {A}^\alpha{B}^\beta \,\!
\mbox{backward reaction rate} = k_{-} {S}^\sigma{T}^\tau \,\!
k_+ \left\{ A \right\}^\alpha \left\{B \right\}^\beta = k_{-} \left\{S \right\}^\sigma\left\{T \right\}^\tau \,
K=\frac{k_+}{k_-}=\frac{\{S\}^\sigma \{T\}^\tau } {\{A\}^\alpha \{B\}^\beta}

Get it ? I DON'T as everything fly above my head like some of the post here
:P :P
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 7:31 am

Strong Eagle wrote:k1w1,

Never argue with a fool. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Thanks, SE. Yeah, think it's time I paid for my kopi and left too.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 7:59 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Plavt

k_+ \left\{ A \right\}^\alpha \left\{B \right\}^\beta = k_{-} \left\{S \right\}^\sigma\left\{T \right\}^\tau \,

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 11:21 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Plavt

Actually, I get calculus better than some of what flew over your head.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 7:21 pm

Turning my kopitaim into a tower of babel. Kiwi, before you leave, take my apology - I confused you with the other kiwi, the Maori EF. No offence, I was innudated with phone calls and other things.
I expect more missiles aiming at my overload kp. My, you lot are heavy as an elephant on a damp squib with the ancient text.
tyianchang

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 8:28 pm

FP R.I.P :D :P 8-)

I see Robin Hoods time is reintroduced to the UK, that clock is still going backwards over there, the Prime Minister must have seen the latest movie with Russel Crow as Robin :-| What's needed is a revolution like in Tunisia, and the rest of the Middle East! Or another Guy Fawkes.

Come on who's going to be the first to kick start a petition, what a marketing strategy that would be for some techie guru, not google's marketing executive, he's busy. :-| I think it could be anyone but an Englishman, as they are cutting welfare benefits, not that Englishmen couldn't do it, its just that football and a pint is more important. Robin and his merry men still manage to rob the government, funny thing, is that Robin was also an aristocrat too until the King robbed him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood

Power to the people said John Lennon, not the political parties!

Return to “General Discussions”