Singapore Expats

Tranny trolley dollies

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 4:08 pm

One question then. Are male aircrews stigmatized? Do they work on most, if not all major airlines of the world? Aren't a higher percentage of them gay than in other types of industries (the only other industries that has as high an incidence would probably be hair dressers and possibly modeling? Does it stop them from giving good service? Granted they don't wear name tags, but most think they are gay even if they are not. Still doesn't stop them from doing their jobs effectively does it? And regardless of what a lot of people claim, a lot are homophobes even in today's enlightened atmosphere. What's the difference of someone "assuming" you are and you wearing at name tag that confirms it. To me, as long as my drink is delivered on time and fresh and strong, it's cool.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 4:49 pm

The transsexual flight attendants will wear special gold-coloured "third sex" name badges to help passengers and immigration staff to easily identify the gender they are faced with.
So for the passengers as well and the reason is pretty obvious. If they wanted to have it on a strict professional ground wearing a golden badge would not be necessary. IMHO.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 5:00 pm

SMS, I don't think they are stigmatized and I do not think about them as gays. They are there to provide the service and nobody makes any problems with their sexuality. Here (the ladyboys story), their sexuality is emphasized and advertised for some reason.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 5:06 pm

A REAL equal opportunity employer maybe? Not just lip service. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 8:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One question then. Are male aircrews stigmatized?

Yes, but the difference is that they have to balls to deal with it.

Sorry! :wink:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 8:29 pm

You dont want to be on the wrong end of a pissed off tranny, they got the balls to take bitchiness to a whole new level. :lol:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 9:04 pm

QRM wrote:You dont want to be on the wrong end of a pissed off tranny, they got the balls to take bitchiness to a whole new level. :lol:
You sir are quite correct!

I recall many moons ago in Phuket seeing two katoys having a full on bitch fight. When they flailed on the ground and their dresses rode up it was difficult not to notice their [cough] 'meat and two veg' pulled backwards and up via rubber bands or similar.

20 years on I still get the occasional flashback.

ExpatLah

Post by ExpatLah » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 9:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A REAL equal opportunity employer maybe? Not just lip service. :o
That and the fact that you can't buy the kind of publicity making it known brings. This here thread is a prime example of that.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:30 pm

ExpatLah wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:A REAL equal opportunity employer maybe? Not just lip service. :o
That and the fact that you can't buy the kind of publicity making it known brings. This here thread is a prime example of that.

Agreed. I think the airline owner reckons he is the next Tony Fernandes, so is up for cunning PR stunts.

I'd have no problem with katoi staff, but I don't understand the need to make them wear '3rd gender' name badges. Would any jewish staff have to wear yellow star shaped ones I wonder?

I'm rather intrigued why there are so many trannies in SE Asia and they are simply accepted as a third gender, despite on the flip side homosexuality being illegal in much/all of the region.

The sad thing is that most of them cannot afford to 'go the whole way', and so are left in a life of half-way limbo. Mind you it is ditto with local homosexuals, they can't come out to their families and so can never set up home with a partner. As a result they seem consigned to a rather rudderless and unfulfilled life living a lie...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:08 pm

I didn't realize that being Jewish was a gender identity problem. :-|

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:15 pm

I'm quite sure you get the point I was making!
:wave:

ExpatLah

Post by ExpatLah » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:40 pm

JR8 wrote:I'm quite sure you get the point I was making!
:wave:
Yeah, I'm sure SMS gathered full well that a Star of David should be worn at all times when a yarmulke isn't present - just to avoid confusion :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Jan 2011 1:01 am

:-k

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Jan 2011 1:08 am

Yeah now I'm a bit confused as well.

I suppose my point was, as others suggested earlier, if you're trying to be inclusive why go out of your way to unnecessarily point out differences.

The airlines quoted example of 'gold badges' rather drew the obvious parallel with other people who have been obliged to wear them.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Jan 2011 1:21 am

We used to get little gold stars stuck on our foreheads when we done good in first grade! I can't remember ever gettin' one thou.....

Return to “General Discussions”