Singapore Expats

Moving to Spore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
DKML

Moving to Spore

Post by DKML » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 7:26 am

Hi all. So my wife has gotten a job offer in SP, so we are considering moving. We are both Danish citizens (yes that would mean we are from Denmark).
I am a bit cautious though, after reading this board, as it seems job options are somewhat limited by the MOM these days.
I am a 30 yr old Software Engineer / Project Manager with a degree in Computer Engineering and an MBA. I have 6 years of experience and a few Microsoft Certifications in various development fields.

How is the job market in my field as an expat? Will I be able to get a decent wage? And how are the advancement possibilities in the IT sector these days?

I have been looking at various job dbs, but they do not help me with figuring out whether or not expats will ever be considered for the jobs.

Thanks for your help.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:54 pm

If you're in any field that the ubiquitous Indian IT engineers can do: Forget it, for the salary you're likely to achieve you might as well stay at home and be a good husband!
If you have something extraordinary to offer, which is in rare in Singapore, if you know the market and approach the most likely employers, you might with some luck get a good job. The salary will be less than in Europe, but the lower taxes makes up for most of the difference.
Last edited by beppi on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:50 pm

Word

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:11 pm

What industry are you in? If it's finance/banking you should have a good chance as a lot will be recruiting this year and any of the foreign ones will have no problem applying for an EP for you

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:14 pm

JayCee wrote:What industry are you in? If it's finance/banking you should have a good chance as a lot will be recruiting this year and any of the foreign ones will have no problem applying for an EP for you
+1 Massive hiring spree at the moment in I.T in the Bnkg space