Singapore Expats

Local tuition agencies? For my girl, taking o levels this yr

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
jackyjacky

Local tuition agencies? For my girl, taking o levels this yr

Post by jackyjacky » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 5:05 pm

Hi everyone, I am looking for maths and science tuition for my Sec 4 girl who is due to take her o levels this year. She hasn't had any form of tuition until this year, as it is an important year for her. I've seen a few home tuition websites such as PimpMyGrades - Singaporean students preferred online tuition portal! - Home upon referral from a friend, seems good. What are your experiences with home tuition?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 5:57 pm

tic....toc....tic....toc.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jackyjacky

Post by jackyjacky » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:19 pm

What do you mean ?

markchong

my personal experience

Post by markchong » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 1:30 pm

There are several useful online tuition portals available, such as www.a-startutor.com. But I recommend seeking out recommendations from friends or relatives, as tutors vary even within the same agency. Some agencies are notorious or even on the 'dodgy' side. Agencies to avoid include Trustlight Tuition Agency (more like Distrust Light in my opinion). Hired tutors for my son from that agency once, and the agent (his name's Jason Tan I recall) kept switching tutors month to month to earn commission from the 5 or 6 tutors we had. I found it to be very disruptive for my son's progress. The agent resorted to coercive methods and went on to blackmail me when I told him I wasn't keen on continuing the assignment. Almost had to file a police report on that. That was a nasty experience.

So be careful when you contact these agencies! (It's better to contact tutors personally if you know them. As the agents tend to 'jack up' the rates to earn commission)

All the best!