Singapore Expats

FDW Workpermit issues

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Sam Raj

FDW Workpermit issues

Post by Sam Raj » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:29 pm

Hi,

I have a helper who has been with us for 2 years. She is a very reliable and diligent worker. She has been working in Singapore since 2005 and has been with me since 2009. Shortly after she moved in with us, she told me that she was planning to marry a Singaporean and she wanted an approval letter from me. Despite my telling her that MOM does not approve of such applications she insisted and I gave her my consent letter, which was submitted to the MOM/ROM.

Unfortunately the person she intended to marry, did not have his paperwork in order and the marriage never happened and they split and the whole episode was forgotten.

Recently I applied to get her permit renewed, but MOM has rejected her application. They had not specified any reason, but I am assuming that her marriage application may have something to do with it.

She has had a traumatic background in her home country and does not want to return there at present. Also she does not have any family that she can go back to.

Is it possible to appeal to the MOM to have them review the application. She is a good person, and is very disturbed by the the thought that she may have to start from scratch in a foreign country. I am also very sad for her.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 3:21 am

That is the holy grail of getting a FDW. On their application it is explained explicitly that they cannot get married to a Sger or SPR. A WP working in the other industries has more chance to get marriage approval and pass renewal compare to FDW. FDW guidelines are so stringent that it is like walking on a tightrope. These regulatories are the result of years of abuse from employer, employee and the employment agencies.
As much as I sympathise and empathise with your maid and yourself, honestly , her chances of getting renewal is almost zero.
If you are getting her thru an agencies then go with them to see MOM is your best bet. I would not want to hold my breath for it to get approve
You got nothing to lose anyway . So go for it and appeal .
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Sam Raj

Post by Sam Raj » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 7:48 am

Thanks very much. I do plan on going to MOM today. Do you know if they let you talk to some person and appeal the case ? The agency is not particularly helpful...I guess they are not making any money out of this and so see no point in spending their time on this matter.

Here marriage application did not even go through, as the paperwork was incomplete and I wish MOM had ended the matter with that and closed their files on it, instead of punishing her.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 8:01 am

Talk to the office NOT the receptionist. Present your case. Bring whatever docs that can support your appeal

Good Luck
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Sam Raj

Post by Sam Raj » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 8:34 am

Yes I am hoping I can do that and they will let me get beyond the receptionist. I am not sure what supporting documents would be required.

ututu
Regular
Regular

Re: FDW Workpermit issues

Post by ututu » Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:31 pm

Sam Raj wrote:Hi,

I have a helper who has been with us for 2 years. She is a very reliable and diligent worker. She has been working in Singapore since 2005 and has been with me since 2009. Shortly after she moved in with us, she told me that she was planning to marry a Singaporean and she wanted an approval letter from me. Despite my telling her that MOM does not approve of such applications she insisted and I gave her my consent letter, which was submitted to the MOM/ROM.

Unfortunately the person she intended to marry, did not have his paperwork in order and the marriage never happened and they split and the whole episode was forgotten.

Recently I applied to get her permit renewed, but MOM has rejected her application. They had not specified any reason, but I am assuming that her marriage application may have something to do with it.

She has had a traumatic background in her home country and does not want to return there at present. Also she does not have any family that she can go back to.

Is it possible to appeal to the MOM to have them review the application. She is a good person, and is very disturbed by the the thought that she may have to start from scratch in a foreign country. I am also very sad for her.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
This is just like situation with my helper. Appeals will have NO results. I got HOME's and TWC2's non-profit directors write up letters of support, I had my MP do the same and so on and still no luck with MOM.

SG Government is quite vindicative I'd say, because frankly I see no logic in punishing for an attempt to follow rules. FDW work permit states not to marry w/o permission which FDW did try to obtain via proper paper work so there is no violation of WP conditions. So it doesn't matter whether FDW marries SG citizen without permission or attempts to get the permission, she will be cast off anyway. Seems like mere thought of FDW marrying is the ground for dismissal as in eyes of SG government they are obviously sub-human species who should never entertain such a thought.

Our helper had to leave and she will not be allowed to work in SG ever as FDW. That's why I really caution anyone whose helper applying for permission to marry, do think through that if application is denied, her work permit will never be renewed and she needs to be aware of that.

Best you can do for her is help her find FDW job in HK or Taiwan.

ututu
Regular
Regular

Post by ututu » Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:36 pm

Sam Raj wrote:Yes I am hoping I can do that and they will let me get beyond the receptionist. I am not sure what supporting documents would be required.
Call up HOME and TWC2 or better yet go there in person. They deal with FDW abuse among other things. Also I'd recommend go to meet-the-people session of your MP and getting securing MP support letter too. Though chances are slim. Especially if she is of Muslim background. You heard what senior ranks of political elite of this country thinks recently, don't even think that gov policies don't reflect that bias.