Singapore Expats

Arrested for theft in singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 8:26 am

wantonoodles wrote:Well.. I really regret my stupid act..

Back to the main point, my IO actually told me I would be given a warning. So do I take his words for it? Or he meant he is going to recommend a "warning" verdict to me?
OK wantonnoodles before you become rojak , this is how it works

You have been caught and brought to station. IO will submit the finding to DPP for further action. Upon IO recommendation and depending on your mitigation factors and amount of items stolen and its value, charges will be laid by the DPP. That's all about it.
Based on current practise, if value is small, insignificant and first time offense, either a warning or a fine of max $1,000.00.
If this comes to the wire, you will be charge at the Sub Court 20, if you admit guilty of offense and you paid the fine then you are free to go
If you admit but no money to pay, Jail House Rock about a week
If you deny charges you go to Court 22 or 23 in a months time approx.. If this is so then you engage a lawyer to defend you.
Easy peasy nice and easy
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 9:29 am

Ok, I'm leaving,

Wait a minute, I gotta get my hat & coat & cane....... :( :devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:43 am

Mad Scientist wrote: Oh yeah......... it is cold in Motala. But we got each other !!! What more do you want ?? :twisted:

AWWWWWWW! How Swede...I mean sweet! :lol:

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 8:36 pm

I have not sympathy for those who steal. No matter what your sob story or lame excuse is. I`d kick them out of the country if I was both judge and jury. If you`re local, I`d probably banish you to Malaysia.
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

pineapple

Post by pineapple » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 2:29 am

:? One of my friend , who is not local and who is a foreigner , and for first offense , he was sitting at a table in the club , and his close frds left their bags at the table and go to dancing floor. Right before after the club close , and he was alone at the table , so he took the bags to find them . He went to the entrance n he was finding them but suddenly i dont know he has a difficult time or whatever, he took out their phones and some cash . But after a while in the toilet right after he took out the security come n find him and ask him to follow them bcos his close frds report to club security that they lost their bags . Finally,they found their phones n some cash but his close friends still accused that they lost two other phones and some cash .and As his so called close friends , call the police and make the case . he never really took anything but they accused him as they lost their two phones . and he hasn't admit the police that he steal the two phones cos in fact , he never did . and it was just lost . but its kind of difficult situtaion cos they found the other phones and cash inside him jacket . but he told police that it was just he afraid that he was so drunk and in case,if he left some bags , he dont wanna lost his friends valuable things so thats why he kept their things inside his jacket . Is it so unreasonable ? he also tell me like that but as he is like a very good friend to me and i m just so worried about what s gonna be the worst punishment for first offenders not local and foreigner ? Is it consider theft ?
Last edited by pineapple on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 4:11 am

Sure looks that way! If they found the two missing phones on him. Sad situation if all he was doing, was looking after the stuff, though he should have searched his own clothes, if they were insisting two phones missing. Drunk will not help, he was sober enough to take the phones. First offence he maybe lucky, with a fine.

x9200

Re: section 379 cap224 theft case what would be the punishme

Post by x9200 » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 7:45 am

pineapple wrote:[..]and his close frds left their bags at the table and go to dancing floor. Right before after the club close , and he was alone at the table , so he took the bags to find them . He went to the entrance n he was finding them but suddenly i dont know he has a difficult time or whatever, he took out their phones and some cash .
Having close friends like this one needs no enemies.

pineapple

Post by pineapple » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 2:08 pm

no . Mr ksl . it wasn't like that from the way he said , they didn't found the two missing phones on him . but they found some of the phones from the bag and some cash on him . but even after he return it , they still said they lost the two phones . So , yeah there wasn't really he took it . but under the CCTV also , i guess there will be footage of him trying to find his friends and give them back in the first place . that will help ?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 2:20 pm

pineapple wrote:no . Mr ksl . it wasn't like that from the way he said , they didn't found the two missing phones on him . but they found some of the phones from the bag and some cash on him . but even after he return it , they still said they lost the two phones . So , yeah there wasn't really he took it . but under the CCTV also , i guess there will be footage of him trying to find his friends and give them back in the first place . that will help ?
He should be okay then, as there is no proof the phones existed, yes, you certainly don't need friends like that.
When travelling and working in foreign countries always be aware, that there are tricksters, around you, never look after anything for anyone, what if there had been drugs in the bags. Take it has a lesson learnt, to keep to yourself, be street wise. It's very rare to meet real friends while travelling, only aquaintences! These people may get your friend a noose around his neck...wise up.

pineapple

Post by pineapple » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 2:46 pm

but is it some kind of proof or evidence that even he returned other phones and cash , like they accused there are still two missing phones . and those phone that they never lost and that he returned come out from his jacket and not from the bags . so there are any possibility that they can win this case ? its section 379 n cap 224 . and His IO is on the progress of trail but I guess the IO still dont know , either reasonable or enough evidence to make this as trail or not . but what would be the punishment ?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 3:18 pm

pineapple wrote:but is it some kind of proof or evidence that even he returned other phones and cash , like they accused there are still two missing phones . and those phone that they never lost and that he returned come out from his jacket and not from the bags . so there are any possibility that they can win this case ? its section 379 n cap 224 . and His IO is on the progress of trail but I guess the IO still dont know , either reasonable or enough evidence to make this as trail or not . but what would be the punishment ?
I guess it all hanging on the video surveillance, if they see that he his actually looking around for the people, then he will be given the benefit of doubt, the video could be sufficient to prove it either way. I mean if the guy is stuffing things in his pocket in a casual manner without turning his head, what does that tell you, compared to a guy doing the same, but looking over his shoulder, obvious body language will give it all away in my opinion.

pineapple

Post by pineapple » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 1:48 am

Last edited by pineapple on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:30 am

pineapple wrote:thz for the replies . it helps . IO said to him that they are still waiting the reply from the court . does it means the court can decide and he can't have a lawyer ? or after the court decided , then he can hire the lawyer ? i don't really know how it works .
I guess the court will decide if there is a case to answer with police evidence, though i am speculating. It doesn't look like he has been charged at this time if no court case has been arranged, once he gets a date to appear, he will be allocated a defence solicitor or asked who will represent him.

Looks to me that the case may well be dropped, if police have insufficient evidence of theft, persons accusing could however be prosecuted, and your friend would be called as a witness

pineapple

Post by pineapple » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:50 am

Last edited by pineapple on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 9:35 am

Is your 'friend' really you?