Singapore Expats

Temple-making money

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:05 am

prkravi wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote: Indulgences too, which sparked the Protestant Reformation.
Im not sure what you meant by Indulgences, but I can sure tell you this, from where I come, some of the Religious leaders INDULGE a lot and pop up on the Radar all the time....
Indulgences of a different kind.... :wink:
things the devout can do to compensate for certain sins...it's like a merit-demerit system :roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:23 am

nakatago wrote:things the devout can do to compensate for certain sins...it's like a merit-demerit system :roll:
Refer my previous post - I was adviced I can donate "virtual" money buy getting paid for work by "temple vouchers" and donating them back to the Temple, in exchange for my wishes being fulfilled .. :???: :???:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 8:37 am

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:things the devout can do to compensate for certain sins...it's like a merit-demerit system :roll:
Refer my previous post - I was adviced I can donate "virtual" money buy getting paid for work by "temple vouchers" and donating them back to the Temple, in exchange for my wishes being fulfilled .. :???: :???:
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION---!!!!

Oh wait. Wrong punchline?!?

:P

Indulgences are a bit trickier and widely viewed as a Catholic thing (AFAIK): let's say 10 Hail Mary's can compensate for eating meat on Friday or saying the rosary will make up for not hearing mass on Sunday...stuff like that. It wasn't always about the money but of course, that didn't stop the corrupt from coming up with monetary units!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 9:36 am

prkravi wrote:....

Having said that, I sadly admit Religion is BIG Business today across all Religions.
Today? It has always been big business, I would say more so in the past when people where less educated, the church/temple/mosque/sharma hut was the main and often only source of news/information.

A funny quote about GAWD from the late George Carlin "He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!"

LOL Judging by my last credit card bill it does corroborate the idea that God created man in his own image.
Last edited by QRM on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:15 am

nakatago wrote:
prkravi wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote: Indulgences too, which sparked the Protestant Reformation.
Im not sure what you meant by Indulgences, but I can sure tell you this, from where I come, some of the Religious leaders INDULGE a lot and pop up on the Radar all the time....
Indulgences of a different kind.... :wink:
things the devout can do to compensate for certain sins...it's like a merit-demerit system :roll:
I don't mind confessing a few sins every now and then! As long as i go to heaven :P it also keeps them in work :lol: Joking aside, its been at least 55 years since my last confession :oops: I've just confessed :roll:

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:22 am

The truth is that this is all a big business and one in which most people willingly participate. There is nothing wrong with it as it is voluntary and there is no god to judge them or the places of worship. Think of it as visiting a museum with trinkets to purchase, a slot machine (at least you might win something there), or paying your cable operator. There isn't anything unholy about it because it isn't holy to begin with.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:44 am

ksl wrote: I don't mind confessing a few sins every now and then! As long as i go to heaven :P it also keeps them in work :lol: Joking aside, its been at least 55 years since my last confession :oops: I've just confessed :roll:
Seriously, I can refer you a few choices, where you can 'offset' your sins .. and work on a +ve balance when you kick the bucket ?? Want to contact me ?? :twisted: :twisted:

Haha .. No kidding - lately I been hearing that ..

An example was somebody who cornered me and went on to hammer home the point of 'doing good deeds for Future benefits from God' - when I told this individual that I do my own volunteering and am happy pat came the answer "but does God know that ??? Join us, and we can, for a minor donation, make Him listen"

:???: :???:

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ksl wrote: I don't mind confessing a few sins every now and then! As long as i go to heaven :P it also keeps them in work :lol: Joking aside, its been at least 55 years since my last confession :oops: I've just confessed :roll:
Seriously, I can refer you a few choices, where you can 'offset' your sins .. and work on a +ve balance when you kick the bucket ?? Want to contact me ?? :twisted: :twisted:

Haha .. No kidding - lately I been hearing that ..

An example was somebody who cornered me and went on to hammer home the point of 'doing good deeds for Future benefits from God' - when I told this individual that I do my own volunteering and am happy pat came the answer "but does God know that ??? Join us, and we can, for a minor donation, make Him listen"

:???: :???:
donations make god listen???? :???: :???:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:15 pm

ksl wrote:I don't mind confessing a few sins every now and then! As long as i go to heaven :P it also keeps them in work :lol: Joking aside, its been at least 55 years since my last confession :oops: I've just confessed :roll:
Now, you must say 10 Our Father's, 20 Hail Mary's, 10 Glory Be's and buy us all beers as your repentance. Go now, my son, and you will be forgiven.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:18 pm

QRM wrote:LOL Judging by my last credit card bill it does corroborate the idea that God created man in his own image.
LOL It also proves that God is a woman :cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:30 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
QRM wrote:LOL Judging by my last credit card bill it does corroborate the idea that God created man in his own image.
LOL It also proves that God is a woman :cool:
Your assertion is moot to atheists.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:56 pm

Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't the title be money-making temple?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 1:09 pm

Rather than being voluntary, now at the alter of the new religion of Climate Change the money is taken from us by force.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 1:10 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:donations make god listen???? :???: :???:
Not gonna land myself in a libel suit - but YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS - 100% I was guaranteed - and also once I register to Heaven for a nominal amount, upon reaching the boarding gates, I will be seperated and sent to 1st class, away from the peasants .. :D :D

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks Nakatago, I'm learning new Acronyms.

Well on the (Voluntary / Involuntary) donations part,
I know places and people where there is a Menu for trivial things like:-
1. Getting the Bus on time - $*
2. It shouldn't rain until I reach the movie hall - $*
3. Getting married to a beautiful wife - $**
4. Getting rid of that beautiful wife without much legal hassles - $****
5. Children should score better grades - $**

it goes on and on...
I guess it all started with the statement - "Ask and He shall provide" well we did, and He didnt provide, and so we looked at other ways which we know, and that is Money.
So we started buying Him, Bribing Him. In reality I feel God himself is not involved in this scam. It takes two to Tango, so there was this one desperate guy who wanted things to get done the easy way, and then there was this other guy who saw that desperation and started milking him like a Cow.