Singapore Expats

Local school/private tutor in the Bukit Batok area

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
Montrosa

Local school/private tutor in the Bukit Batok area

Post by Montrosa » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 1:45 pm

We have been living in Bukit Bakot, Singapore for just 6 weeks during this time we have approached a nearby local school with regards to enrolling our 2 children aged 8 and 10. The school was most helpful in arranging our children to take the PACT test however their results were disappointing (not surprising as the standard here in Singapore compared with the UK are very high) both children struggled my daughter sat the Primary 5 test and my son the Primary 3 test. The school has refused entry due to their results and have given us no further leads.

I now have the task of looking around more schools. Please tell if it is more successful to contact them by phone or just show up without appointment? Does anybody know of a school where enrollment is active?

I am schooling them at home using exercise books purchased from Popular - primary level 3 seems to suit them both. Also if there is anyone using a good private tutor I would be interested in contact details please because I cannot cope much longer using this method. Thanks :roll:

Shona Trench

Private tutor

Post by Shona Trench » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 6:18 pm

Read Montrosa's post with interest....and wondered how you got on with a) local schools and b) finding a tutor ... in much the same situation myself with two children age 12/14, we arrived from the UK a couple of weeks ago, and am struggling to sort out schools...International ones are practically out of our budget as my husband is on a local contract here... so have been wondering about getting some tutoring for them just now, as I don't want them to fall behind with their studies. They are 'middle of the road' academically, so am finding the high standards that are set here a bit off putting...
New to Singapore

101vonnie101

Post by 101vonnie101 » Tue, 14 Dec 2010 3:09 am

hi! I'm a student from Indonesia studying in Singapore. I came to singapore when i was in Primary 4, and now i'm in secondary 3. I took the PACT test in 2005 and got a place in the local school. I'm 16 and I give maths and science tuition for primary school student. I scores an A* for maths and A for my english & science for my PSLE. If you're interested , you can e-mail me at [email protected]

anzac74

Post by anzac74 » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 4:53 am

Hi Montroasa & Shona,

I have just arrive to Singapore and I'm also interested in the Local School Option. I've seen your posts and I was wondering about how did it go for you and if you could give me some advice about enroling my kids (2 and 9)
Regards

EEL

Post by EEL » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:02 pm

anzac74 wrote:Hi Montroasa & Shona,

I have just arrive to Singapore and I'm also interested in the Local School Option. I've seen your posts and I was wondering about how did it go for you and if you could give me some advice about enroling my kids (2 and 9)
Regards
Hi Anzac74

We will be arriving in Singapore towards the end of Feb and also have a 2 and 9 year old and will be looking for a local school. I would love to hear how you get on as I am getting a bit worried about the finding accommodation / finding a school thing. It is starting to feel a bit like the chicken and the egg - do we find a school and then accommodation or the other way round? I am thinking that finding the school is going to be harder than finding accommodation - so I should look for the school first. Though then I start to stress about the cost of being in temporary accommodation if we are going to have to go on a waiting list for a long time and then I think maybe we should just go for the International Schools (which I don't really want). - Sorry starting to babble - the stress of packing up the house and trying to keep the kids amused at the same time is getting to me!

Do you know if there is way of finding out if any of the schools have vacancies (apart from ringing every one of them)? It would great if there was some website somewhere which listed those schools that had vacancies?

Anyway I wish you good luck - and if you do have any advice it would be very greatly appreciated!

cole25

Post by cole25 » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:33 am

Parents help their children in study but they are not able to solve difficult concepts so they need tutor for their children who provide them private tutoring.

http://fruition.com.au/