Singapore Expats

I could probably 'hack' your Facebook account. Be afraid.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:15 am

dazzlebabe wrote:My ex bf was with me for a few years with no intention of settling down with me (or anyone for that matter). It wasn't that I was not the right girl for him but he always wanted the thrill of the next catch.

20 years on and he's still not married and with his 3452157683 gf i think.

Call me young, call me gullible. Call me stupid. There are idiots out there!
You are just unfortunate to have met a self centred dickhead! There are also many women that play the same game too, looking for the biggest catch :-| People like you are just so unfortunate not to have cut the ties as soon as you were aware of it and some people are never aware of their partners infidelity. Though psychological profiling helps to identify psychopaths :) I also fell into the same trap in my young days of puppy love, she had been unfaithful many times and i married her, thinking it would change. Mum says a leopard never changes its spots, be cautious as some people are unfaithful just to please, sex is only a tool used to capture the victim along with sweet words of love.

The internet is a very dangeruos place for the unwise and less street wise people. I control my facebook with strict rules, not to take invites from people I don't know, and i never join in the games or any 3rd party invites. Facebook is a social network marketing tool for business from day one, so be careful who you let into your life.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:22 pm

JR8 wrote: Meanwhile back on topic.... if you thought the FB privacy issues could not get worse! (I've taken my Friends list down to the absolute hard-core of 20, and it's going to be one in one out from here going forwards...)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... esses.html
What else do you expect from the company owned by M$? The whole windows thing was and still to large extent is an open invitation to all sort private info stealing software. You do not have the same in any of the Unices and their derivatives (Linux etc). Clearly the priorities are in different places.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:31 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:My ex bf was with me for a few years with no intention of settling down with me (or anyone for that matter). It wasn't that I was not the right girl for him but he always wanted the thrill of the next catch.

20 years on and he's still not married and with his 3452157683 gf i think.

Call me young, call me gullible. Call me stupid. There are idiots out there!
We are not always coldly rational and this does no make us any of the above. More than with zillions of different other things you just need some luck here.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 4:09 pm

x9200 wrote:
Do you see the difference between what you emphasized earlier and what you are saying now? You just acknowledged the wrong doing.
Forgiveness it is a tricky thing. I assumed the girl had some reasons to allow JR8 to play the game. If the guy was spotless she did very wrong. This would be clear violation of trust. So probably he already had his 2nd chance.
I'd just like to clarify one thing, I created the Facebook profile in question, and then handed it over my Friend, so it was her that 'played the game' as such. For me it was an excercise in observing how vulnerable you can be on FB.

Another thing I have just realised is the Suggested Friends feature now contains the enriched Profile data on it. So, this means for example if in your e-mail (i.e. not Facebook) you have exchanged e-mails with say all your friends and ten business customers as well FB will endeavour to find and show you all of their profiles. That is the situation I am in. Plus it is showing me the profile of a neighbour that I might end up taking to court! A charming photo of him cradling his new baby, plus I see where he is from, what schools he went to and so on. I have now been forced to change my real surname on FB (after already encrypting my first name, and not using a real photo of me, and empyting my profile data), as I just don't want to be this 'close' to people I do business with.

Edit: to format
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 4:20 pm

Facebook is perfectly safe for those with nothing to hide :D Just don't do silly things like display your address then post your vacation dates.
JR8 wrote:My Friends list extends to a paltry 24. But these are REAL friends and people that I'm happy chatting with every couple of days, swapping music, photos, recipes, jokes and so on...
I use Facebook for the opposite reason actually. Friends I'm close to I would keep in touch with offline anyway, so the real value of Facebook to me is keeping in touch with friends I otherwise wouldn't take the trouble of arranging regular meetings with.
JayCee wrote:Is it any wonder that more and more Singaporean women want to date foreigners (taking away the other obvious reasons)

Another baseless assertion? Perhaps you should stop hanging with the SPG crowd which limits your worldview. In my personal experience, most non-SPG Singaporean women would rather date local guys. This is the reality:

- 30% of the population now is foreign. Naturally the number of Singaporean women marrying foreigners would be higher than before. This is a matter of statistical necessity rather than want.

- In 2007, 1886 or 9% of all marriages registered were citizen females marrying foreign males. This is disproportionately low compared to the 30% foreign composition of the population. If the 'want' was as great as you imply, the figure should be disporportionately higher, not lower.

- Of the inter-racial marriages in 2006, 666 were citizen females marrying foreign grooms, while 1363 were citizen grooms marrying foreign brides. Personal bias aside and looking at pure numbers, Singaporean men are therefore twice as desirable as Singaporean women.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 4:28 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:- Of the inter-racial marriages in 2006, 666 were citizen females marrying foreign grooms, while 1363 were citizen grooms marrying foreign brides. Personal bias aside and looking at pure numbers, Singaporean men are therefore twice as desirable as Singaporean women.
not necessarily; for all we know, this could be due to the fact that some women still think that the guy should ask the girl. or that men are more "daring" to ask outside their "race." point is, lotsa things could be the reason.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 4:43 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Facebook is perfectly safe for those with nothing to hide :D Just don't do silly things like display your address then post your vacation dates.

Oh yeah, in which case why do you think Google give 536,000,000 results on the search terms 'Facebook security'?

I agree displaying addresses/numbers etc and then posting that you're off on holiday is patently dumb. But apps now have rights to skim all this data whether you choose to 'display' it or not. The vulnerable are those who do not see the difference.

JR8 wrote:My Friends list extends to a paltry 24. But these are REAL friends and people that I'm happy chatting with every couple of days, swapping music, photos, recipes, jokes and so on...
I use Facebook for the opposite reason actually. Friends I'm close to I would keep in touch with offline anyway, so the real value of Facebook to me is keeping in touch with friends I otherwise wouldn't take the trouble of arranging regular meetings with.

The Friends in my list are all abroad, so having them on FB is the only practical and economic way of keeping in regular contact with them.
JayCee wrote:Is it any wonder that more and more Singaporean women want to date foreigners (taking away the other obvious reasons)

Another baseless assertion? Perhaps you should stop hanging with the SPG crowd which limits your worldview. In my personal experience, most non-SPG Singaporean women would rather date local guys.

Only cos no foreigner would go near your average non-SPG SGn :lol: :cry: As your stats show twice as many men as women succeed in marrying foreign. That evidences how undesirable the women are eh?

p.s. Now now, remember, Love Matters Most :wink:
Edit: to format

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 5:17 pm

I would almost be willing to bet, if investigated, one would find that the disproportionate number of Sg Males marrying foreigners is because of cultural baggage which causes the Asian male to generally not marry a female above himself or a female to marry someone beneath her. With Singaporean women having educational levels as high as the males here it causes the bottom rung of males to be without matches locally. This leads to China & Vietnam brides.

I would be interested to know the percentages of Sg males that marry western females and the percentage of Sg females marrying western men.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 5:50 pm

Hey SMS,
Check these 2 links out:
http://www.linkedin.com/answers/interna ... 7-19420815

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/demo.html --
look under - "Statistics on Marriages and Divorces, 2009" excel sheets

I use FB to stay in touch with family and friends - nothing to hide.
the only thing is that photos taken and uploaded by friends can be tagged with your name, and it goes on the wall. So you should be prepared if someone wants to take your photo... especially after loads of liquid fun... :D [/img]

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 6:07 pm

ev-disinfection wrote: the only thing is that photos taken and uploaded by friends can be tagged with your name, and it goes on the wall. So you should be prepared if someone wants to take your photo... especially after loads of liquid fun... :D

It used to be that if anyone Tagged you in a photo, then that photo went on your publicly searchable Profile page. And you had no way of making it private or getting it off apart from asking the tagger to de-tag you, which goes against the <jolly> 'spirit of fun and sharing!!' </jolly> that is Facebook.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 7:51 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Do you see the difference between what you emphasized earlier and what you are saying now? You just acknowledged the wrong doing.
Forgiveness it is a tricky thing. I assumed the girl had some reasons to allow JR8 to play the game. If the guy was spotless she did very wrong. This would be clear violation of trust. So probably he already had his 2nd chance.
I'd just like to clarify one thing, I created the Facebook profile in question, and then handed it over my Friend, so it was her that 'played the game' as such. For me it was an excercise in observing how vulnerable you can be on FB.
Oh sorry for that. It was clear from what you said earlier me just badly phrased the above. It does not change the qualification though, only the caliber.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 8:10 pm

That's cool X9, no problem. Anyway life's too short I think, we conspired to do what we did and got a result. So you make and take your conclusions and then move on.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 8:50 pm

nakatago wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:- Of the inter-racial marriages in 2006, 666 were citizen females marrying foreign grooms, while 1363 were citizen grooms marrying foreign brides. Personal bias aside and looking at pure numbers, Singaporean men are therefore twice as desirable as Singaporean women.
not necessarily; for all we know, this could be due to the fact that some women still think that the guy should ask the girl. or that men are more "daring" to ask outside their "race." point is, lotsa things could be the reason.
Yes, without actual interview data the reasons we could give are all speculative. I was merely showing JayCee that his putdown of Singaporean males is not supported by the facts. "Twice as desirable" was tongue in cheek on my part as I obviously don't agree, as a Singaporean woman :)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 9:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I would almost be willing to bet, if investigated, one would find that the disproportionate number of Sg Males marrying foreigners is because of cultural baggage which causes the Asian male to generally not marry a female above himself or a female to marry someone beneath her. With Singaporean women having educational levels as high as the males here it causes the bottom rung of males to be without matches locally. This leads to China & Vietnam brides.
Spot on.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I would be interested to know the percentages of Sg males that marry western females and the percentage of Sg females marrying western men.
2006 figures: 356 Caucasian grooms with Chinese brides, 49 Caucasian brides (no data on type of groom). We have to look at the number of single Caucasian males and single Caucasian females here to see if this ratio is representative, but I couldn't find this data. If there are 7 times as many single males as females, then the ratio is representative.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:53 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:

Another baseless assertion? Perhaps you should stop hanging with the SPG crowd which limits your worldview. In my personal experience, most non-SPG Singaporean women would rather date local guys. This is the reality:
Here we go again, have you ever thought that if you get so offended by every little slight made about Singapore on an EXPAT forum that maybe you're hanging out in the wrong place? You know, technically I could class you as an SPG, what with your fondness for hanging about expats and all, didn't think of that did you :wink:

I wrote "more and more" not "most" or "all", so yes I agree with you that most non-SPG singaporean women would prefer a local guy and I never said any different. I'd be willing to bet that more prefer a foreign guy now than did 20 years ago though. And you don't need to throw marriage statistics at me, I said 'date' not 'marry', it seems that getting married and having kids are not high on the Singaporean to-do list nowadays. Maybe read the post closer next time ah?

I don't hang out with SPGs, never have never will, and nowadays you couldn't pay me enough to be with a Singaporean woman (and I don't have enough money to be with a Singaporean woman anyway - cue more offended posting from WIMH :lol: )
Last edited by JayCee on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:50 am, edited 5 times in total.