Singapore Expats

Town Planning Jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nguirguis

Town Planning Jobs in Singapore

Post by nguirguis » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:32 am

Hi,

I am working as a town planner in Australia (at the local government level) whist completing my masters in town planning, my undergraduate degree is in property.

Does anyone have any advice on urban planning jobs in Singapore? It is difficult to find a job? Are they paid well?

Thanks,

N

nguirguis

Post by nguirguis » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:09 pm

As a side note i have actually done a fair bit of research myself, however i am finiding it difficult to find appropriate jobs.

I am not too fussed on pay.

Thanks

OnlyOneEarth

Post by OnlyOneEarth » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 2:55 pm

Hi there,

There are a few planning companies in Singapore which you can try. I was actually from one of them, although not from a planning background myself. What are your areas of expertise? If you have an email address, I can send you further details.

Cheers,

nguirguis

Post by nguirguis » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 4:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response. My expertise are in Statutory Planning at the moment, however i am undertaking my study in Masters and am doing a variety of different subjects which include Strategic Planning. I have also had experience in project management and the planning process there. My masters is in Social Science (PLanning and Environment) i have only a few subjects left until it is completed.

What is the company that you work for? What kind of planning do they partake in?

OnlyOneEarth

Post by OnlyOneEarth » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:07 am

I worked for a Singapore-based company called Surbana. They do all kind of planning projects, from regional plan, city plan to site plan, and urban design. The core people were from Singapore's planning authority.

nguirguis

Post by nguirguis » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:31 am

I have heard of Surbana and done a little research on the website. They do not advertise if they have any current jobs.

Is it best to just send an email outlining my expertise? I am going to be in Singapore in February for a holiday, however it would be really great if i could meet with someone in the planning department to find out about the company and any prospective job oppurtunities.

Would you reccommend Surbana as a place of employment?

Thanks again for your help.

OnlyOneEarth

Post by OnlyOneEarth » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:21 am

Hi,

I left the company last Dec and at that point of time there was no need for new hire, since business has been a bit slow. However you can always try, and am not sure whether new planning projects have been secured this year.

I enjoyed my time there, and the people are really multicultural and fun to work with. Staff benefits are on the high side compared to other MNCs in the same industry in Singapore. However, if you are employed, it will be most likely to be on local terms.

nguirguis

Post by nguirguis » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:48 am

Ok, well i guess there is no harm in sending an email.

What do you mean 'on local terms'?

Is the planning industry slow in Singapore at the moment?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:02 pm

"Local" terms, mean the same salary & benefits that local receive. Not expatriate benefits like home leave, housing allowances, car allowances, school fees, etc., etc. It means like you getting a job in your home town.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OnlyOneEarth

Post by OnlyOneEarth » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 3:34 pm

Hi,

There is no planning job in Singapore, so all the design studios here rely on overseas planning projects for income. The market was quiet after the financial crisis, as real estate developers adopted a 'wait and see' attitude. I would say most of the projects come from China, India, up and coming countries in Southeast Asia, Western Africa, Middle East.

By the way you should not limit yourself to consultancy. Can try out private developers as they do recruit people from real estate and planning background.

Hope this helps.