Singapore Expats

Renounced SG PR when 16, isit possible to get it back?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
viperboi345

Renounced SG PR when 16, isit possible to get it back?

Post by viperboi345 » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 2:15 am

Hi,
I'm a British national who was a Singaporean PR for nearly 14 years, a 2nd gen PR under my dad's application (whom is now a Singaporean citizen). I renounced my PR status when I was 16 to study in London. I must stress that the intention was not to skip NS.

However, after 2 years, problems arose, (mainly because of distance from family) and I wanted to return to SG to study. I enrolled in a polytechnic and applied for a student visa only for it to be rejected after 2 months. I was told that the reason for this was because I had previously held a PR and renounced it.

I am now 22, and am studying in university in kuala lumpur and wonder would it be possible for me to get my SG Pr back, or else to attain some sort of visa to be able to live and work in SG. I do not mind serving NS if that is what it takes.

Please give me your input on my situation as I really do want to settle in Singapore and deeply regret my past decision to give up my pr.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 8:23 am

It is impossible unless:

1) Lee Kuan Yew changes his mind
2) You can prove that the government has made a mistake
3) successfully bribe some super high ranking officer to clear your name from their database

MS can you think of anything else?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 5:25 pm

Koalabear wrote:It is impossible unless:

1) Lee Kuan Yew changes his mind
2) You can prove that the government has made a mistake
3) successfully bribe some super high ranking officer to clear your name from their database

One more - since you are just 22, plead ignorance, and go and do your NS - :D Maybe you will end up in something like Civil Defence - a friend of mine, who was born here, but parent migrated to Canada, came to work here and upon applying for his EP was asked to apply for PR, and when he went to apply PR, he was told that he will be granted PR, but do a one year stint in Civil Defense .. he did do it .. but then again, he was 34 when this happened ..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 8:16 am

ecureilx wrote:e

One more - since you are just 22, plead ignorance, and go and do your NS - :D Maybe you will end up in something like Civil Defence - a friend of mine, who was born here, but parent migrated to Canada, came to work here and upon applying for his EP was asked to apply for PR, and when he went to apply PR, he was told that he will be granted PR, but do a one year stint in Civil Defense .. he did do it .. but then again, he was 34 when this happened ..[/quote]

@Ecurelix

Please provide advise with facts not hearsay or from other experiences which comes supporting documents, guidelines and laws surrounding it.
Posters comes here with two hands clasping and holding their hats. We are here to provide avenues or directions for them to make informed decisions. Strictly speaking forum are based on facts NOT Myth if you cannot provide one please don't, coz I will be the first one to ask you all the questions.
Here are my questions for your friend's situation

1. One more - since you are just 22, plead ignorance,
How do you go about doing this and under which section of the law that permit ignorance as mitigating factor????
2. and go and do your NS - This guideline under Chap 93 section 33 and unedr the constitution Cap 126 and under Immigration Act 44 was changed for 5 times and counting since 1985. The NS issue came to light in 2005 and subsequently amended in April . So when did your friend was given the green light to do NS???.
3. Maybe you will end up in something like Civil Defence - a friend of mine, who was born here, but parent migrated to Canada, came to work here and upon applying for his EP was asked to apply for PR, and when he went to apply PR, he was told that he will be granted PR, but do a one year stint in Civil Defense .. he did do it .. but then again, he was 34 when this happened ..
So..... your friend gained SG PR when borned in SG or given LTVSP??. How did he managed to get EP or PR if he holds foreign citizenship. ? Thru PTS scheme or AIP EP or parent sponsorship ?
In 1993 when your friend serve NS, he must have been schooled here in order to attain PR or else he cannot hold EP as he was 16 then. SO which is which ????????
I am poking alot of holes on your advise . hmmmm????
:twisted:

@ OP. if you go to ICA under the PTS scheme . All 2nd Gen PR must serve NS. . Giving up will have severe repercussion
http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... 080429.pdf
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

Try getting an AIP EP and look for job first. To regain your PR you must return your CPF monies among other things. However since you are a 2nd Gen PR your future is bleak on regaining PR..
OR get married to a local or SPr but that will not be a safe passage too as it do comes with alot of minefield.
IMHO look for greener pastures other than SG.Sorry I do not know of pass records where 2nd Gen PR at such a young age managed to regain their PR back. Maybe you can ask Ecurelix as he seems to know more .
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:11 am

Chief:
Mad Scientist wrote: Posters comes here with two hands clasping and holding their hats. We are here to provide avenues or directions for them to make informed decisions. Strictly speaking forum are based on facts NOT Myth if you cannot provide one please don't, coz I will be the first one to ask you all the questions.
I am a bit wiser than that and I am the last person to pass hearsay and myths .. :D - the one and only case I know is from a good friend of mine, whom I keep in touch till now .. and no, not a third hand story ..
Mad Scientist wrote:
Here are my questions for your friend's situation[/color]
1. One more - since you are just 22, plead ignorance,
How do you go about doing this and under which section of the law that permit ignorance as mitigating factor????
Maybe I should have added a few more smileys :( :(
Mad Scientist wrote:Maybe you can ask Ecurelix as he seems to know more .
You don't easily accept alternate views, do you ?? :(

Well, as I said, it was the one and only case I know, and if I should go on, a friend, who's wife is a Singaporean, Children born here, but living overseas, when the son reached 16, he got a letter requesting the son come here or put up a bond .. no, not another 3rd hand story .. so, yes, ICA doesn't take a dim view of those who knowingly violate the law ..

Then again, let me ask you - it says "Duty unpaid cigerettes lead to hefty fine" right ? just last week, I was returning back and a friend of mine with me had a couple of Bensons, and when the random Customs check guy opened the bag, it was right at the top - the guy just told him 'don't do it again' and let him off ..

And once i was caught with Chewing gum, and while the guy was about to go on a long-winded lecture, suddenly he lost interest and told me to leave ..

And how many times you have seen foreigners being punished with CWO for littering ?? :D Even though the law says CWO for littering ??? And who chooses between fine or CWO ???

Well, the law is there, and applied, but everybody has better things to do sometimes ..

Now take the case of the Piono guy who wants to come back - the ICA is adamant there is no exception as that is a 'high profile cases' since the guy knowingly scooted out of Singapore, just to avoid NS .. so "TEACH THE BASTARD A LESSON SO OTHERS DON"T FOLLOW HIS EXAMPLE"

And take Shankar Iyer case - they made a big show out of it to tell people who is the boss - and how many other molestation case gets into the news ??? Well, people do get punished, but do they make a big racket out of it ?? And I could add Michael Fay, and Fricker ..

Back to the one and only case I know of - he was born here, when his father was working here, and when my friend was a year old, his father migrated to Canada. And when my friend came here to apply for EP, it was ICA that went on to do the 'favor' to him - as to why they did it and not for everybody - NO COMMENTS CHIEF :)

over and out chief - no, not gonna prove your wrong or right - just my 2 cents opinion and sharing of what I know ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:16 am

ecureilx wrote: Now take the case of the Piono guy who wants to come back
:mad: :mad: :mad:

PIANO GUY .. I meant, PIANO GUY PLAYER ..

BTW, this may add some fuel to the fire ..

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic42654.html

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 3:47 am

ecureilx wrote:
You don't easily accept alternate views, do you ?? :(
NS issues is very close to my heart. Many forumers here knows what I meant. I have done a very extensive research from the days in the military to all the ministries that I was involved. So...... if you have something that I am not aware based on FACTS and FIGURES, then I am all ears for you. Otherwise please keep your encounters to yourself

Well, as I said, it was the one and only case I know, and if I should go on, a friend, who's wife is a Singaporean, Children born here, but living overseas, when the son reached 16, he got a letter requesting the son come here or put up a bond .. no, not another 3rd hand story .. so, yes, ICA doesn't take a dim view of those who knowingly violate the law ..

Your story differs from your earlier post stating quoted "Maybe you will end up in something like Civil Defence - a friend of mine, who was born here, but parent migrated to Canada, came to work here and upon applying for his EP was asked to apply for PR, and when he went to apply PR, he was told that he will be granted PR, but do a one year stint in Civil Defense .. "
That is totally different from what you said now. Of course before 1995 , EP requirement was at the age of 16 and a half hence they have to put up the bond for $50 K only max.. I am aware of this guideline.
But your earlier post contradicts each other. So which is which. ?

Then again, let me ask you - it says "Duty unpaid cigerettes lead to hefty fine" right ? just last week, I was returning back and a friend of mine with me had a couple of Bensons, and when the random Customs check guy opened the bag, it was right at the top - the guy just told him 'don't do it again' and let him off ..

And once i was caught with Chewing gum, and while the guy was about to go on a long-winded lecture, suddenly he lost interest and told me to leave ..

And how many times you have seen foreigners being punished with CWO for littering ?? :D Even though the law says CWO for littering ??? And who chooses between fine or CWO ???

Well, the law is there, and applied, but everybody has better things to do sometimes ..

Your preassumption based on encounters with the law does not equates to the law itself. The officers who was supposed to upheld the law in his/her own discretion decided NOT the pursue on the crime that has been committed whilst the law stated that a crime has been committed. This is based on the Law is backed by the power of the state to compel, to punish and coerce compensation of loss

Ethics are principles of conduct which cultures generally agree upon ... there is no state coercion involved if you don't behave in accordance with the standards.
Hence is like flipping a coin knowing full well the repercussion will be. Moreso I would advise OP not to heed your advise

Now take the case of the Piono guy who wants to come back - the ICA is adamant there is no exception as that is a 'high profile cases' since the guy knowingly scooted out of Singapore, just to avoid NS .. so "TEACH THE BASTARD A LESSON SO OTHERS DON"T FOLLOW HIS EXAMPLE"

I was involved with this case.Hence your assumption is incorrect

And take Shankar Iyer case - they made a big show out of it to tell people who is the boss - and how many other molestation case gets into the news ??? Well, people do get punished, but do they make a big racket out of it ?? And I could add Michael Fay, and Fricker ..

All the cases have its own merits and prejudices. It does not equates to what we are discussing. NS issues has its own set of guidelines and ruling. Please do not states something that you have no idea what you are rambling about

Back to the one and only case I know of - he was born here, when his father was working here, and when my friend was a year old, his father migrated to Canada. And when my friend came here to apply for EP, it was ICA that went on to do the 'favor' to him - as to why they did it and not for everybody - NO COMMENTS CHIEF :)

over and out chief - no, not gonna prove your wrong or right - just my 2 cents opinion and sharing of what I know ..
So the above is not related to the earlier post. Now you have 2 encounters ? No you got me confused.
Let me clear it for you how it works
Dad worked here under EP. Son born here but no PR only SVP or LTSVP. Son migrate to Canada. SOn hold Canadian PP. Son came back to apply EP but offered PR ?? No way this will happen . Not during my watch under section 42 par 3.1 . Chances are Dad has PR OR SG citizenship by then. Sponsor son under PR. Only this route is allowed under PTS scheme or familiy sponsor. There is no "favour" in SIR or ICA as it is called now. Everyone watches everyone.
All your comments has not a single value to what OP is facing . Read his post again.
To advise someone, the encounters or first hand story that you received must be or similar nature to the current issue. Yours is MILES APART.Hence my earlier post to you.
I have no qualms about accepting other opinions or views but it must be related , sensible or holds some truth in it.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 4:03 am

ecureilx wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Now take the case of the Piono guy who wants to come back
:mad: :mad: :mad:

PIANO GUY .. I meant, PIANO GUY PLAYER ..

BTW, this may add some fuel to the fire ..

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic42654.html
FYI the OP you mentioned was last advised by me on another thread. I am the one that provided him with a palate of advise for him to decide on which route he would like to take.
True to my understanding, he decided not return after several correspondence with Mindef and CMPB